• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I am going quail hunting tomorrow in southern Indiana with my son and a friend who owns property. I went a few weeks ago before Christmas and had a great time and got into several large coveys. Weather will be a little cooler this time which means no mud. I am looking forward to a great time. Wish us luck.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Can I come!!!!!!! Sounds fun. Ever since moving to Indiana I have not been bird hunting much. Hard tobeat the pheasants, partridge and grouse in Minnesota... all I see around here are doves - rats with wings as far as I am concerned. Would love to get into some real game birds - no offense to you dove hunters..

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    We had a great trip. My English setter performed well. We had some discussions being the end of the seasons as to how many birds we should leave in a covey so not do damage the population. I had heard that you need 6 birds to survive the winter together. As it turned out, the dog did her job but we did not hit a single bird after firing at least a box of shells. I don't know what was going on but it was one of those days when we just couldn't seem to hit anything so the coveys were in no danger from being thinned too much!

Toward the end of the trip, the dog, Ellie Mae was acting kinda funny as we were heading back to the car a couple hundred yards away. I figured she did not want to leave the field with so many birds around. We went to the car, took off vests and stuff and the dog did not show. We fired a show which will usually get her to come and see but nothing. I headed back the way I came and she way lying on the ground, stiff and stretched out, and quivering. It shocked me. I first thought maybe she was snake bit but I did not her her yelp and it was 20 degrees outside so there were no snakes. I picked her up and carried her about 100 yards which was about half way and she started growling and yelping. I put her on the ground and tried to calm her down and she bit my hand drawing blood! I yelled at my son and buddy and they brought the jeep through the field and we put her portable kennel next to her. She did not want to get inside. After we stuffed her in the kennel, she was still and unresponsive. We did notice that she had a pretty good cut on her front left paw and though maybe she got into something sharp. We drove for a while discussing where we might find a vet and then stopped for a burger for lunch. We bought the dog a burger and she ate it and seemed to come back to normal. Now that we are back home, she seems to be doing OK. I don't know if it was the cold, the cut, or what in the world was going on. Maybe she was like a kid laying down and throwing a fit in a store because she did not want to go home. I just cant figure it out.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Did she run heavy and hard during the hunt, I have seen dehydration knock em down like that, they can dehydrate in the cold also, another possibility low blood sugar, the burger may have helped, have the vet check her out!

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Did she run heavy and hard during the hunt, I have seen dehydration knock em down like that, they can dehydrate in the cold also, another possibility low blood sugar, the burger may have helped, have the vet check her out!

She ran hard for a good three hours. She was eating snow off and on. She did not drink when we put her in the car, but she drank a whole bowl of water with her burger.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Just a follow up. The dog is doing well now after a good nights rest which is normal after a hunting trip. I will be more careful next time to make sure she consumes plenty of food and water.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    good to hear, one thing I discovered about field Setters is they are so driven to hunt they will forgo food and water while in the field, they will just keep pushing, they will take a quick drink at a creek or pond but sometimes there are non around, I carry a bottle and force my dog to drink in the field, he won't quit! I also dump water on his food after the hunt!

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    good to hear, one thing I discovered about field Setters is they are so driven to hunt they will forgo food and water while in the field, they will just keep pushing, they will take a quick drink at a creek or pond but sometimes there are non around, I carry a bottle and force my dog to drink in the field, he won't quit! I also dump water on his food after the hunt!

Sounds like we should go hunting together and you can help train both me and my setter!

grouse08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011

True statement!

Top Bottom