• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I am thinking about driving to Effingham for an IDPA or USPSA shoot. However, I have heard so much about not being able to possess a handgun in the state of Illinois.

I have a lifetime CCW permit from Indiana and a Utah permit. I don't think either one is recognized in Illinois. Can I bring my gun into Illinois without the possibility of breaking some Illinois law ?

Thanks in advance

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP their many on INGO that shoot USPSA in IL and will provide useful feedback. I shot Trap several times in IL and had no issues with the police. Outside of Chicago land it's total different.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Yes. I believe the gun and ammo have to be separate and not easily accessible to get to both. Ie gun in trunk ammo in back seat. I could be wrong. Gun may even need to be locked. Go to Effimgham USPSA thread and ask the OP in pm. He comes over to IN to shoot all the time. I've been over there a few times. It isn't to big of a deal. I think I locked my gun cases just in case. IL is fairly reasonable unless you are in Chicago land

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Laws just recently changed over there for non-residents. Here is just a snippet of their law on this...

Section 40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    Unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I shot the match at Effingham for the first time this year and had the same concerns. Luckily I rode with some guys who had done it many times. Gun has to be in a case, unloaded, separate from ammo. No worries.

Brad and Scott put on a very good match. I will go again. Good luck.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    The cool part about all of this
    Yes you can travel through Illinois without breaking any laws as others have stated above.
    But there is nothing in those laws about stopping in Illinois,unlocking and loading your weapon and then firing it,even at a sanctioned match.
    I had these same concerns when I shot area 5 a few years ago.I called the Illinois state police and asked. The only answer I got from them was, "Don't worry about it,you will be fine". That answer isn't good enough for me,so I don't go to Illinois to shoot very often.
    It must be okay because they have several big matches a year at PASA and Barry,I just can't find anything that says it is.
    Effingham puts on a good match,go and have a good time.

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    Better question is
    1, why are they having a comp in that God forsaken state?

2, why would you wnat to go there with a gun?

Good luck if you go.

One answer for both questions. The fine folks in Illinois come to Indiana and shoot our matches, support our clubs. The fine folks in Indiana return the favor by going to Illinois, shoot their matches, and support their clubs.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Better question is

Good luck if you go.

That's an ignorant response. There are many God fearing, gun toting, and honest people in Illinois.

Arrogant people who spread stereotypes irritate me.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    One answer for both questions. The fine folks in Illinois come to Indiana and shoot our matches, support our clubs. The fine folks in Indiana return the favor by going to Illinois, shoot their matches, and support their clubs.

Best response of the day goes to ^^^^^^^^^

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Better question is

Good luck if you go.

Probably not a helpful response or likely to be popular among a lot of the competitors, but your opinion is shared by others whether they will express it here or not (including me). That the law is marginally better now doesn't make me feel any better about going over there.

As far as helpful resonses go, Cowboy1629 has the correct info. As long as you are in your vehicle and have a valid carry license/permit, you're okay. Once you get to your destination (i.e. the gun club), you'll be on private property. Don't stop anywhere else and you'll be in good shape. Fortunately, Effingham isn't that far into Illinois, so take your bio-breaks before you cross the line and you'll make it.

CAMO66

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Effingham, IL.
    Thanks Cowboy for the post. Alot of people are misinformed about this states laws on firearms. As long as it's unloaded and cased you're good to go.

Scott

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    If you are a non-resident of Illinois with a permit to carry you may carry that handgun loaded and uncased inside your vehicle, the big word there is "inside." If for any reason you exit the vehicle the firearm must remain secured inside the vehicle and out of sight. Now if you have other firearms with you they would need to be unloaded and in a case. The law changed in July of this year, but this is how it works now. One more thing, if you would be stopped there is a "duty to inform" if asked. Watch your driving and you will be fine. It is good to see someone from Indiana come to shoot in Illinois to help balance things out. I live in Illinois but do 95% of my competitive shooting in Indiana. Jim.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I know your question is about handgun competition which I also enjoy. But people come into Illinois from all over the country to shoot handguns, rifle, and shotguns. Believe it or not, Illinois is a hotbed of competition. Lots of National Champs, in lots of disciplines, live in Illinois. Illinois is not Chicago. Chicago is not Illinois.

Guys even bring their AR15's into Illinois to shoot matches. Nobody gets all worried about it. Here is the current multi-state High power schedule...Most shoot those evil looking black guns and ignore those who would get their panties all twisted up over it.

10-State Schedule

I enjoy shooting matches at Milan, Lodi, and Red Wing. My home range is in Harlan. I need to make it back down to Oak Ridge Sportsmans Club in March.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom