• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I would have told your dad to pound sand. Dogs that leave their property are fair game; if he doesn't want the dog to suffer any ill, he should keep it in the yard.

Our house on one side of the road, barn and farrowing house on the other and a T Road to boot. No such thing as keeping it in the yard. You train it to not chase, which he did, and to stay off the road if there are vehicles. I personally thought the guy was going to get his head caved in by the old man for smacking a pup that at that time wasn't even 4 months old yet. I guess the point of my story, was you have to use common sense and determine if the dog is truly a threat.

I don't begrudge you the right to protect yourself or your wife. Hope it didn't come off that way.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Our house on one side of the road, barn and farrowing house on the other and a T Road to boot. No such thing as keeping it in the yard. You train it to not chase, which he did, and to stay off the road if there are vehicles. I personally thought the guy was going to get his head caved in by the old man for smacking a pup that at that time wasn't even 4 months old yet. I guess the point of my story, was you have to use common sense and determine if the dog is truly a threat.

I don't begrudge you the right to protect yourself or your wife. Hope it didn't come off that way.
    Nah, it's all good. I'm a little bit on the ugly side right now because the dogs I'm dealing with are a wonderful combination of aggressive and boneheaded. But I'd rather see a dog (even a puppy) get beaned with a tire pump than run over. A bicycle tire will kill a small dog just as surely as a car tire, especially with a fatass on top of it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My bottom line: Don't kill my dog if he chases you down the street unless you really think it is a justified reaction to a real threat.

I've had two dogs killed in the road in my house since I've lived here. They both broke my heart. That's one more dog than I've seen cars traveling the speed limit.

I was standing right there watching and saw the last one hit. I know how fast they were going. I know what the dog did. He did something just a little more stupid than he usually did but it didn't help they were driving 60 MPH or more down a one lane black top road. It could have been a deer, a kid, an old man on a bicycle or me just as easy but it was just an accident. If he'd stayed out of the road, he wouldn't have got hit. If if if if, but if they'd have been swerving to hit him on purpose like I've seen a few try or shot him for barking at them as they went by, it could have got real ugly really fast because I was in the weeds up the bank above them on the other side of the road and loaded for bear if need be.

I've noticed the people who drive it regularly slow down a lot more in front of my house than any where else and when they SEE me walking than they do most. Maybe it's because they don't see a guy walking the road often with a full brimmed bush hat and a super blackhawk strapped on but they sure slow down a lot more when I'm walking than when I'm on my bike peddling.

I don't begrudge a guy doing me a favor, I DO consider it a favor, "teaching" a dog where they are not welcome and shouldn't be. "Country" sense is all I expect. Taking out a bad day on my dog just because you know where it lives though is just gonna make "bad day" spread all over the place. My dog is a valuable piece of equipment at my house or he'd already be gone. Barking and chasing any thing on my place that's not part of the family is his job and he can't do it chained to a post.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom