• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Looking for some new reading material, and wanting to get more familiar with US History. Something with interesting facts, maybe a touch of comedy. Preferably something that doesn't read in my head how Ben Stein's voice sounds if he was narrating it.

No particular topic in general as I'll welcome anything as long as it's a good read.

US History wasn't a strong subject of mine in High School but it wasn't a class I found particularly interesting at the time and just did enough to get by. Like many things, they become more interesting and relevant after you've grown up a bit.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Looking for some new reading material, and wanting to get more familiar with US History. Something with interesting facts, maybe a touch of comedy. Preferably something that doesn't read in my head how Ben Stein's voice sounds if he was narrating it.

No particular topic in general as I'll welcome anything as long as it's a good read.

US History wasn't a strong subject of mine in High School but it wasn't a class I found particularly interesting at the time and just did enough to get by. Like many things, they become more interesting and relevant after you've grown up a bit.

Why buy from Amazon? Do you not have a Half Price Bookstore near you? And what part of American History would you like to start?

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Why buy from Amazon? Do you not have a Half Price Bookstore near you? And what part of American History would you like to start?

Amazon for convenience and ability to browse a wide array of books, read reviews, etc.

Really any part of American History would be alright, I'm open to all suggestions. Just figured I'd look into the suggestions offered and figure out from there what sounds most appealing to me.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    A little civil war reading that I enjoyed years ago: Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara (sp?)

I'll try to add a few more later.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Anything written by Stephen Ambrose. Undaunted Courage (title I think) is about Lewis and Clark's expedition. D Day and Band of Brothers are great books about WW2. Lots of short chapters that tell the story through the eyes of the guys that were there.

I have an old book comprised of many of the new dispatches written by correspondent Ernie Pyle during WW2 . My dad actually bought that book in the 60's. Good stuff. Original "embedded journalist".

Top Bottom