• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I just went to an auction this morning wanting to buy a gun but gun fever got there before me. But I did buy some ammo. How many rounds can you put in an ammo can? I bought one can FULL of 9mm for $150 and another can of 380 for $120. Was this a good buy? I was hoping that there would be around a 1000 in a can. I guess I'll have to shoot them!:rockwoot:Thanks!

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    It sounds like a good deal to me, 2000 of 9mm for $150 and probably more of .380 for $120. I haven't bought any .380 but I think it goes for more than 9mm.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    .380s ($0.30) and 9mm ($0.20) are pretty good FMJ prices. If Slapstick's estimate is correct, you have about $400 worth of 9mm. Can't say on the .380s because the boxes take up space, but I'd guess $300-400 there. Sounds like you did well. :yesway:

Last edited:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Forgot to ask but are these reloads? I know I put my reloads in 50 cal cans, (that's how I know about how much they hold). If they are you might want to think twice about shooting someone else's reloads. Just saying for safety's sake.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    All the 9mm are reloads. Half of the 380 are reloads. What should I be worried about or look for with the reloads? I don't want to do anything stupid and get anyone hurt. Should i pull some of the bullets to see how hot they are or is it not worth the risk?

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I was gonna say make sure they are not hard primer machine gun ammo or corrosive stuff. But it looks like you determine they are reloads. I say pull a few and measure the load. Maybe shoot them out of a Ruger P series or a hi-point.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The 2 main problems would be a double charged round or an undercharged round. The double charged round could easily damage your firearm and you. The undercharged round ,(squib) could lodge the bullet in the barrel and if you didn't notice the following round could easily blow your gun up and again you along with it. Of course either condition could hurt anyone around you.

On a lesser note the other problems with shooting someone else's reloads is that you have no idea what components were used, did they load them hot or mild, where and how were they stored, etc.

The choice of whether you shoot them or not is your's but if it was me, not knowing the above answers, I would not shoot them. I'd pull the bullets, dispose of the power and use the other components. You still got a good deal on 2000 bullets and brass.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    All the 9mm are reloads. Half of the 380 are reloads. What should I be worried about or look for with the reloads? I don't want to do anything stupid and get anyone hurt. Should i pull some of the bullets to see how hot they are or is it not worth the risk?

The issue with them being reloads is they could vary from being some of the best quality, safest ammo you ever shot to simply the most dangerous ! It all comes down to who loaded them and the care they took.

IMO, pulling a few to check wouldn't tell you much unless you can visually indentify the powder used. Also, you could pull all but 10, and it might be one in that last 10 with no charge or a double charge... I would visually look at them and even slap calibers and see how consistant the OAL's are. If they are all over the place, I would definately pull them. Also, I would pull a barrel out of one your guns and see if the rounds even drop in properly... There is a small chance you wouldn't even be able to shoot them anyhow...

Maybe if you throw out more info about the auction someone on here might know a little about the reputation of the loader... Was this the auction that the gentleman owned SEVERAL nice Ruger revolvers (including a fairly rare .357 Redhawk) and many reloading presses ? If so, I don't know anything of him, but someone here might... They might have info that will make your decision much easier...

Ultimately, the decision is yours... Make the wrong one and there would be no recourse...

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Give Charlie a call..

I was at the same sale. Do you know the older guy that was helping with the items? His name is Charlie Able. I am sure he knew the original owner and give give you some feedback.

There were some nice guns there, including that Navy Luger that went for $3400!

Top Bottom