• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Not sure if this has already been asked but I didn't see it. I'm looking for the best long range rifle scope for under $1000 if possible. I'm looking for a scope that can reach maximum distance. I'd like to read a newspaper at 1 mile if possible. All joking aside I've been looking at reviews for several weeks on Vortex, Athlon, Swampfox, Burris Leupold etc.... Like anything, some say its the best others say it ain't worth anything. This is going on a 300prc Ruger Precision Rifle. What if any scopes in that price range have you used?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I had 2 of these on 2 rifles... Things are pretty clear at 24x.

I was very happy with them until I decided to sell some guns and buy a Harley.
    One of the guns is gone, but I have one scope left...

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    If you do decide Vortex give A&A Optics a look. Alan sells factory refurbs at a good discount, and they are still covered under vortex’s warranty. I’ve always had a great experience with them. Plus it’s a family business out of Liberty, IN.

Reactions: KLB

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    In my opinion the most robust scope with the highest magnification you can get for that amount of money is a Nightforce SHV 4-14x56. Euro Optic has a sale running where they pay the sales tax and the non-illuminated model comes in just under $1000.

By watching their demo sales I paid just over $1000 (+ tax) a few years ago for the illuminated reticle FFP model. I like the MOAR reticle carried over from their higher end scopes that pre-dated the "budget" SHV line, and the reticle is a lot more useful to me on the FFP/F1 model (reticle changes size so MOA readings are accurate at all magnification settings).

The illuminated reticle portion is only the center cross hairs on SHV scopes not the entire reticle as with the higher end Nightforce scopes. This limitation has little to do with production costs, it's just slightly crippling the SHV line so there are more advantages to stepping up to NX8, etc. I only ended up with the illuminated model to get the first focal place reticle; for most purposes I'd be just as happy with the non-illuminated SHV models for the cost savings.

If you think you'll do something like hunting where you want a wider field of view option at the low end, drop back to the 2.5-10x SHV model and you are still in your price range.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's plenty of great options out there, but I like to stick with Vortex because I see them supporting the shooting sports and especially Guardian matches. Having said that, Alan at AAOptics is an amazing resource for knowledgeable advice. Currently, I own a Gen2 Razor, (3) PST Gen 1's, a Strike Eagle, Diamondback tactical, Viper HS, crossfire binoculars, and most recently the fury hd binocular rangefinder. I use my guns & optics at competitions, training classes, hunting etc. The only complaints I have about Vortex is that back in the day they made some red dot optics that were kinda crumby but those have long since been discontinued.

My last competition the farthest shot was 1942 yards and I used every bit of elevation, and holding the reticle that the Gen 2 Razor scope had to make hits on the 6.5 creedmoor it's riding. I've got a my strike eagle on a RPR in 338Lapua that's my mile + gun. That's got enough elevation that for the caliber I just dial. I've used my PST's at events like Mammoth Sniper Challenge at Ft. Gordon Georgia.

I say all of that to say that if I were you I'd call Alan, and buy the nicest refurbished scope he has on his website because your $$$$ will go farther on a refurb, but if there isn't something you like that's a refurb, just buy a new PST.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    There's plenty of great options out there, but I like to stick with Vortex because I see them supporting the shooting sports and especially Guardian matches. Having said that, Alan at AAOptics is an amazing resource for knowledgeable advice. Currently, I own a Gen2 Razor, (3) PST Gen 1's, a Strike Eagle, Diamondback tactical, Viper HS, crossfire binoculars, and most recently the fury hd binocular rangefinder. I use my guns & optics at competitions, training classes, hunting etc. The only complaints I have about Vortex is that back in the day they made some red dot optics that were kinda crumby but those have long since been discontinued.

My last competition the farthest shot was 1942 yards and I used every bit of elevation, and holding the reticle that the Gen 2 Razor scope had to make hits on the 6.5 creedmoor it's riding. I've got a my strike eagle on a RPR in 338Lapua that's my mile + gun. That's got enough elevation that for the caliber I just dial. I've used my PST's at events like Mammoth Sniper Challenge at Ft. Gordon Georgia.

I say all of that to say that if I were you I'd call Alan, and buy the nicest refurbished scope he has on his website because your $$$$ will go farther on a refurb, but if there isn't something you like that's a refurb, just buy a new PST.
    Thanks for the advice. I just got my RPR in 300prc today. Still not sure what to get.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Absolutely NOT the cheap Vortex.

You can't be questioning your sighting system; you have enough to deal with, learning to shoot at long(er) ranges.

Talk to Alan on the phone. He knows the difference, and he will know if he can get you into a Vortex that will ACTUALLY do what you want, at $1,000. I kind of doubt it, but the worst thing one can say about Alan is that he won't carry other brands. Wish he did.

The upper end of the Vortex line is apparently fairly good. The middle and lower end ranges from bad to terrible on reliability, and is arguably a reason why their warranty and customer service has such good reviews.

Doesn't help you, if you just need a scope to work, rather than be in the da** mail.

Nightforce sure is solid. Used if need be. And shop as long as it takes, rather than settle for crap.

Last edited:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    AA Optics mentioned above has some Razor Gen1 on closeout for like $750. The elevation turret is the size of a soda can and the reticle thickness is a tad heavier than is popular today, but it’s still a Razor, and is the optic many people cut their teeth on. For $750, I don’t think you can beat it!

For a more modern option as far as reticle and features (and that uses standard 34mm rings as opposed to the 35mm of the Razor G1), a used Bushnell DMR2i would serve you well. I have a hood bit of experience with the XRS, DMR, and LRHS/LRTS lineups from Bushnell and they’re solid optics.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    AA Optics mentioned above has some Razor Gen1 on closeout for like $750. The elevation turret is the size of a soda can and the reticle thickness is a tad heavier than is popular today, but it’s still a Razor, and is the optic many people cut their teeth on. For $750, I don’t think you can beat it!

For a more modern option as far as reticle and features (and that uses standard 34mm rings as opposed to the 35mm of the Razor G1), a used Bushnell DMR2i would serve you well. I have a hood bit of experience with the XRS, DMR, and LRHS/LRTS lineups from Bushnell and they’re solid optics.
    I've been actually looking closely at reviews of the Bushnell Match Pro Ed 5-30x56. Seems to fit my budget and what I was lookin for. Have you or anyone had any experience with this one? Good or bad?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Another very good scope to look at is the Sightron SIII Long Range series. Good glass for the money and several reticle options. Their customer support is very good too. I like the 1/8 MOA target dot reticle. MidwayUSA currently has it on sale right at $1K.

BAgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    Another very good scope to look at is the Sightron SIII Long Range series. Good glass for the money and several reticle options. Their customer support is very good too. I like the 1/8 MOA target dot reticle. MidwayUSA currently has it on sale right at $1K.

I've never had MOA all I've used have been MRAD. I was leery on switching but I'm open to learn.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've been actually looking closely at reviews of the Bushnell Match Pro Ed 5-30x56. Seems to fit my budget and what I was lookin for. Have you or anyone had any experience with this one? Good or bad?

I put one on my Tikka but I'm laid up at the moment and haven't been able to shoot so I can't speak to much more than the look and feel of it ATM.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Forgot I had these as an option

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I've never had MOA all I've used have been MRAD. I was leery on switching but I'm open to learn.
    MOA is fairly intuitive. 1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 yards.

For practical purposes, 1 MOA = 1 inch at 100, 2 MOA = 2 inches at 200, 10 MOA = 10 inches at 1,000 etc.

Most MOA scope windage and elevation adjustments will be either 1/8 or 1/4 inch per click at 100 yds.

Top Bottom