• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Any good stories to share from your family holiday gatherings?

We had our annual Thanksgiving with my wife's family who I would say is a 50/50 mix when it comes to guns. I struck up a conversation with a brother-in-law whom I assumed knew about guns being raised on a farm in Indiana. I showed him a photo of my newest AR-15 and the look of shock on his face caught me by surprise. "You can't own that" he gasped. "That's an assault rifle and those are only made for the military. You better hope the cops don't find out you have one". Even after we had a rather lengthy discussion I could tell that he still didn't believe me. Then my wife's brother who was listening, chimed in and said, "I can't understand why anyone would want one of those. You can't hunt anything with it". They high-fived each other and walked away.

:ugh:

Now I know why I dread going to their get-togethers.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We had family at our house for Thanksgiving dinner and the night before my daughter came up with an idea for a little contest. We laid odds on which of three subjects my brother-in-law would bring up first, his exercise, his diet, or his up-coming trip. We all knew we'd be regaled thoroughly on all three subjects, we just weren't sure the order of which they would come. Then we all picked a number to guess how many plastic containers his wife would bring to take leftovers, since she's famous in the family for gravitating towards the kitchen after the meal to get in on the leftovers, and will nervously watch how much of some side dishes are eaten during the meal if it's something she particularly wants.

We were hoping for a little suspense, but my brother-in-law put that to rest within 5 minutes of coming in the door. My wife asked him if he was hungry (she's very sneaky, she had money on "diet"), but he just said "Yes, I did my work-out this morning, so I'm ready to eat". I had "exercise", so I won that one.

We had to wait longer for the second part of the contest. My sister-in-law did come in as expected with a shopping bag full of empty containers, but we couldn't really get in there and count them, so we had to wait until after the meal was over. My wife had the high number at 12, which was well above the rest of us. She almost had it, but the number came in just below, at 10, so none of us got that one. Next year, we plan to give it some more thought before-hand and put some real money on the line, and try to make it even more interesting.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We went to my Brothers this year, and all was well. No real anti gunners there, but lot's of small screaming kids. I'm actually pretty proud of my family, I have two older brothers and an older sister, and we have all been involved in the settling of my moms estate. Since September of 09' when mom died, we have divided up her belongings, donated some things, split up the money mom had, and, just last month, sold the house and split the proceeds between the four of us. During the past few years, NOBODY has gotten their feelings hurt, NOBODY thought they weren't being treated equally, and we ALL still enjoy each others company. I know it's rare, I know things like the death of a parent can divide families, but it didn't happen with us! I think it says a lot about how our mom raised us.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    Well my day was not as exciting as y'alls. My son and I spent the day in the garage cleaning and putting together a new blasting cabinet. After that we came in and I grabbed some leftovers and warmed them up for us. Went to bed about 8. The wife worked until 11 last night and had to be back to work at 5 this morning.

Top Bottom