• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    And whats up with the kid firing the .44mag 4 times from 4 YARDS AWAY and connecting with nothing? And then her shooting from the same distance...I really hope she was intentionally aiming for the kid's revolver and knew she could hit it. Hate to play armchair QB, but with the other lives she entrusted to herself, maybe shooting COM would have been more prudent.

Again, it is a cool story.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    You see a lot of hand and arm hits when doing Force on Force training. The first reason is that students often focus on the other guy's gun and that then becomes the target. "Weapon fixation" is the term that is typically used. The second reason is that the hands (and gun) are often simply in the way of higher value targets high in the chest. They get hit first because they are in the way.

The "hit the lock" shot was nothing more than a miss that luckily didn't exit the store.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    And whats up with the kid firing the .44mag 4 times from 4 YARDS AWAY and connecting with nothing?

I suspect that it be havin' sumptin' to do with the fact he is a dumb(!), 18 year old kid that had gotten used to the CCW-less sheeple of New Yaawk cowering whenever he pulled out da' gat. When he met someone with the proper equipment and mindset to resist, he found out he wasn't as much of a badass as he thought he was. :baby: :scared:
    Also, I somehow suspect that an NRA membership and being taught the safe, responsible use of firearms were never a part of his childhood environment.

And then her shooting from the same distance...I really hope she was intentionally aiming for the kid's revolver and knew she could hit it. Hate to play armchair QB, but with the other lives she entrusted to herself, maybe shooting COM would have been more prudent.

Under the stress of a deadly force encounter, the entire body natural orients its entire focus on the greatest threat to its physical safety, in this case, the firearm in the hands of the punk kid. She may have been intentionally aiming at COM, but at toe-to-toe distance the body's natural stress reaction will override whatever training the defender has undergone, and the defender will point their firearm right back at the one that is shooting at them. This results in hits to the hands and arms holding the weapon being a rather common occurance in close quarters gunfights. I think the first shot to the turd's finger was a result of this, the second was pure luck from a shot that should have hit criminal flesh, instead of a door lock.

Ryno

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Shelbyville, IN
    I would have to agree with 427. Never been in that situation, can't say I'd do better. I do try to train c.o.m. and head. Pray if ever need be, it would turn out that way.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    This just shows the first rule of shooting with others:

If you hit that crazy impossible shot, holster your weapon and act like you meant to. Otherwise, there will be no doubt that it was dumb luck. :D

I know I did that when I dropped a opossum at night from around 70 yards with one shot from my Glock 22. :rockwoot:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My first guess was that, if they were both using a two-handed grip, firing at COM might result in hitting in the vicinity of the chest or anything in front of it. No doubt the shot into the doorknob was a fluke.

Does anyone have any data on whether or not first-person shooter video games have any influence on either the ability to pull the trigger on a threat or the efficacy of the shooter?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    My first guess was that, if they were both using a two-handed grip, firing at COM might result in hitting in the vicinity of the chest or anything in front of it. No doubt the shot into the doorknob was a fluke.

Does anyone have any data on whether or not first-person shooter video games have any influence on either the ability to pull the trigger on a threat or the efficacy of the shooter?
    ahhh yea, I've dropped a ton of mo-fo's with an ACR and an ACOG, but Im not against stabbing a biatch when it gets hands on...learned it all on MW2:):

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

Check out Dave Grossman's books On Combat and On Killing. They have some research on that topic.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    She was issued a 5 shot revolver?!? :eek:

Definitely luck... Who shoots at a door lock to lock it? :dunno:

Makes for a great "yeah, I meant to do that" story though!

Seeing as how many departments issue 5-shot revolvers as BUGs (or most officers carry their personal one) it's really not that uncommon of a gun for an officer to have.

Also, consider that she works in the evidence locker/room and that she was off-duty, the chance she would be carrying a BUG rather than her full-size duty-weapon increases drastically.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    There was a study that I read where they would pop up targets, friendly and bad guy. The shooter did not know what the target was going to be. The shooter had to decide whether friend or foe and then if it was foe, shoot the target. Even with different shooters, many of the shots were grouping around the gun on the bad guy target.
    It seems that the shooter was looking at the gun to ID the target and when they started firing they were still focused on the gun. A kind of tunnel vision. Where you look is where you shoot.

I think she was trying to 'stop the threat' and just focused on the gun.

The door lock was just luck IMHO.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    You see a lot of hand and arm hits when doing Force on Force training. The first reason is that students often focus on the other guy's gun and that then becomes the target. "Weapon fixation" is the term that is typically used. The second reason is that the hands (and gun) are often simply in the way of higher value targets high in the chest. They get hit first because they are in the way.

The "hit the lock" shot was nothing more than a miss that luckily didn't exit the store.

EXTREMELY interesting! :) I could see that occuring, not only the psychological aspect, but the raw physical aspect of the round being blocked by the gun (being in front of the body) as well.

Aim for center and keep shooting through their "barrier" until they fall?

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Sounds like she was carrying a Dept. issued B.U.G. since she was off duty. Also sounds like she does not work the street anymore since it said that she was an evidence tech. Over all I woud say she did a good job taking control of the situation although you would like to see her hit with more than 1 round. The locking the door thing is just pure dumb luck.

Top Bottom