• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well the official party platform of the Democratic party is out and awaiting final vote. It includes language that would require background checks on all firearms transfers, even if you give a gun to your wife, child or grandchild. Of course it also asks for a ban on those scary mean looking 'assault weapons.'

Of course the gun grabbers think the wording is very timid. Of course they do.

Story => Dem platform calls for gun reform, but advocates pan draft as timid - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If the GOA was as big as the NRA.. we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

As a member of the NRA, GOA, and the CCRKBA. They all ask for donations. They all need money to operate, they all do some good, they all have their faults. None of them force you to donate. They all fight for our gun rights. No need to bash one just because you prefer another. I don't particularly care for Dudley Brown, but I'll not bash him. Never seen much use in biting a hand that's trying to help your cause.:twocents:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    If you love the NRA so much, keep donating! I'll donate to those who I know are making a difference, not those who just talk out their other ass.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well the official party platform of the Democratic party is out and awaiting final vote. It includes language that would require background checks on all firearms transfers, even if you give a gun to your wife, child or grandchild. Of course it also asks for a ban on those scary mean looking 'assault weapons.'

Story => Dem platform calls for gun reform, but advocates pan draft as timid - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com

Alas, there are some that will prefer that than vote for those mean spirited pro-gun platform GOP'ers:D

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

We will have to require background checks on ALL transfers if we want to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people. Otherwise, a mentally ill person who could never buy a gun at a gun store could simply buy from a used gun directly from someone else. In other words, to make it truly "difficult" for a crazy to buy a gun, we'd have to force them into the black market.

But this is not going to work anytime soon, because background checks do not check to see if someone has mental illness, only if they've been adjudicated because of it, so none of the recent shooters would've been blocked from legally buying guns. They will have to draw a line in the sand, categorizing people arbitrarily, which I imagine would be hugely unpopular, and plagued by corruption if enabled (for example, a certain race, or political category may be more likely to fail the background check if they are on the borderline).

The second big problem is how to know if someone violates the law by selling to someone without a background check. Think about it...the ONLY way you could enforce such a law is to register and track all guns, and that is not acceptable.

How popular would it be for the Dems to add "register and track ALL guns and gun sales" in their party platform?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We will have to require background checks on ALL transfers if we want to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people. Otherwise, a mentally ill person who could never buy a gun at a gun store could simply buy from a used gun directly from someone else. In other words, to make it truly "difficult" for a crazy to buy a gun, we'd have to force them into the black market.

FYI, from Patrick Purdy to the Batman Murderer the mentally ill buy guns over the counter and they all pass background checks.

Not are background checks prior restraint but they are feckless.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Did you even read my post?:dunno:

Just pointing out that I donate to all groups when I can.

Yes I did and all I read was "Don't bash my NRA!" basically.

I'll say whatever I please (within the INGO forum rules of course), get over it or don't read my posts.

The ignore feature works very well here on INGO.. just saying!

:rolleyes:

In clarification. I was just expressing my point of view, as were you. And of course you can say whatever you please. Nothing in my posts say otherwise. You can bash whoever you wish. I was just saying why I don't. There was nothing personal in my comments. Not sure why it was taken that way. If that is not good enough:dunno:so be it

But this is not going to work anytime soon, because background checks do not check to see if someone has mental illness, only if they've been adjudicated because of it, so none of the recent shooters would've been blocked from legally buying guns. They will have to draw a line in the sand, categorizing people arbitrarily, which I imagine would be hugely unpopular, and plagued by corruption if enabled (for example, a certain race, or political category may be more likely to fail the background check if they are on the borderline).

The second big problem is how to know if someone violates the law by selling to someone without a background check. Think about it...the ONLY way you could enforce such a law is to register and track all guns, and that is not acceptable.

How popular would it be for the Dems to add "register and track ALL guns and gun sales" in their party platform?

+1...So true!!!

FYI, from Patrick Purdy to the Batman Murderer the mentally ill buy guns over the counter and they all pass background checks.

Not are background checks prior restraint but they are feckless.

Again, true. You throw patient doctor cofidentiality in the mix and there is no way backround checks(unless maybe they're legally institutionalized) will be effective. Holmes is proof of that.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Ah, if only we lived in a perfect world! :rolleyes:
    There are those who say that an organization isn't accomplishing everything they want- instantly- and to their satisfaction so they simply aren't going to support them and, in fact, will bash them for not waving their magic wand and making it all magically appear.
    It's the real world, folks. There's a lot of political wrangling that goes on.
    I continue to support the NRA and the GOP - not because they perfectly align with my beliefs but because we do live in the real world and I realize that some things have to be fought for in increments. Occasionally you lose a battle, but overall, you win many more. Both organizations are pointed in the same direction I want to see things go. And, in the real world, those that help me should also be helped.
    I'm not going to throw either under the bus just because of a few things I don't agree with.

Top Bottom