Got a call from the Indiana State Police today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    They were calling to see if I was going to continue with my donations to their support fund. I can't think of the proper name for it but you get the jist. The man on the phone thanked me for my past support and asked what level I was able to do this year. Until recently I have always tried to send them something even if it was just $25. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate LEO's and I don't want to start any arguments I just need to vent. Financially I can not afford to give any more. I've probably had the worst two years of my life so far and I'm only 36. My mother passed away unexpectedly last march at the age of 66. (she is no longer in any pain) I took it really hard because she was unable to work for the past 5 years and I was taking care of her. I was in management at the time but I couldn't focus on my job.(tires) Rather than make a possible life threatening mistake I decided to step down and take some time to clear my head. Two weeks ago my father passed away, also at age 66. When the man asked "how much could I give?" I politely told him I just can't do it anymore. Even after I explained my situation he still kept badgering me for a donation. After that the politeness went right out the window. I lit him up one side and down the other, as well as told them not to call again. Why do these people need to harass you when you say no? I REALLY can not afford it anymore. This is not the first time they called and the result was the same when the last guy called.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The easiest way to deal with this situation...
    "Excuse for just a second." Put the phone down and come back 15-20 minutes later.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    The easiest way to deal with this situation...
    "Excuse for just a second." Put the phone down and come back 15-20 minutes later.

I used to do that when I had a land line(we just have cell phones now).

H_S, I'm really sorry to hear about your parents...I couldn't imagine losing both of mine that close together.:(

I would have done the same thing as you did after I explained my story and still got badgered for money. Totally classless.

Stay strong, buddy.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    From a cop:

Honestly OP I would have hung up on his arse after I asked him what part of "NO" didn't he understand. I too (being a cop) have gotten those phone calls. They too badgered me when I told them no, it was only after I had to raise my voice telling them I was a cop and give a part of me everytime I put that uniform on.........then I hung up before he could reply.

If you want my honest no BS opinion.......and this is only my opinion, if you want to give (and BTW thank you for your past givings) then give directly to your local PD, not to the ISP guys that call. I have taken numerous complaints from people that gave to those that called and it was later found out they had nothing to do with ISP.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    we have been getting calls lately and i dont think the people calling have anything to do with isp, they are just contracted out to do the calling i believe. I find it easiest to just hang up

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Use your caller ID as a defensive weapon... If you see a name pop up that you don't want to talk to, let the phone ring. If no name pops up or "out of area" or you're not sure, let it go to the answering machine. No more arguing and a little less stress in your life....

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I get these phone calls on a weekly basis. ISP, IFD, FireFighters Assoc...etc.

My answer; "Unfortunately, it's not in my budget. Thanks" *click*

I get hung up on by *******s everyday. So, I don't feel any remorse when I give them an honest answer and just hang up.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I tell them to wait a second, then I come back tell them I am ready and to speak real softly. I continue to encorage them with a few o'yea's, thats right baby, just a few more seconds. They never let me finish. :dunno:

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    It's amazing how quick they hang up when you say my daughter wants to talk to you and hand the phone to a 4 year old. She loves to talk on the phone and doesn't care whom she is talking with.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Nice of you to donate in the past, you have done better than me. I dont trust these type of organizations, even though they are stated for police, etc. I always have the gut feeling that 80% or more of the money goes to b.s. salaries and benefits for a few people at the top.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Nice of you to donate in the past, you have done better than me. I dont trust these type of organizations, even though they are stated for police, etc. I always have the gut feeling that 80% or more of the money goes to b.s. salaries and benefits for a few people at the top.

Your gut feeling is pretty much right on. Professional fundraisers are hired by State Police association, disabled veteran organizations and other legitimate organizations. If these organizations would do it themselves they would make at least twice as much.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Your gut feeling is pretty much right on. Professional fundraisers are hired by State Police association, disabled veteran organizations and other legitimate organizations. If these organizations would do it themselves they would make at least twice as much.
    I used to give a little something when they would call. As time went on, the calls became more and more numerous, (and for every police project in the world). I began asking if the caller was a FOP member or a LEO of any sort. That was truly telling, and exactly as you said.
    I finally had to tell them that if they called me more than once a year, I was going to quit donating altogether.....that worked for about two years, untill they started calling my wife. :(

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    For years I gave an annual donation to the ISP Alliance. Every year I would get a nice window decal. I had several on the back window of my truck shell. I am 99% sure that those indicators of donations to the ISP probably got me off with a warning a time or two when I should have gotten a speeding ticket. Since I now live in an apartment and only have a cell phone, they have not caught up with me as of yet. My stickers are getting pretty outdated and faded.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

They would lose a lot of that in payroll and taxes to the staff making the calls and managing the database, to the point that it would probably no longer be worth it. Otherwise they probably would do it themselves.

Top Bottom