• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    I was at a local gun shop recently who also happened to reload there own shells for resale. What really caught my eye was some 308 sabot type rounds that they reloaded. Was curious if anyone had done this and also chronoed them to see if there was any loss in velosity or not shooting sabots. And was also curious if it was like modern inline muzzloaders where the sabot plastic piece falls away from the projectile leaving no riflein on the projetile. Thanks for looking and looking forward to the answers from the wise thanks again Kevin

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    Yeah im sorry didnt think of taking a pic at the time didnt buy any of it. also had it in 223 to. I dnt know kinda y im asking bout it dnt really know what the benefits would be or reason. When I go back will have to get a picture.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    What did the M-948 round say to the face?

Yeah, you can buy the plastic sabots and use them to load a .223 bullet out of your 308. You can get some CRAZY velocity 2-3k fps.
    But the accuracy blows.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    One of the ammo companies, I think it was Remington used to sell a round called the Accelerator. As Geronimo states, the speed was crazy shooting .223 from a 30-06, but the accuracy wasn't good.

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    Yeah i think that what the guy said it was called is accelerator sabots. the face of the rounds were mixed some we lc rounds like i say they were reloads so it was loaded in mixed brass. Thanks for the info guys was what i was looking for didnt know how accurate they would be figured they would be blazing fast bein as it was a 223 round shooting out of a 308 case and charge.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If you were at Scroggins....RUN. I bought a bag of them and tried one round in my Howa 1500 20" heavy barrel. It locked the action up and I had to use a mallet and cleaning rod to tap the brass out. They load their ammo way hot. Kind of wonder if they have a type 06 FFL to go along with their presses.

Yerbaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I've experimented quite extensively with these sabots (.22 cal. bullets) in the .30-06 and .30-30 and you really can get some great velocity going. The plastic "petals" do fan out, causing the sabot to separate from the bullet. It leaves no rifling on the bullets, but as mentioned, accuracy (for me) has been non-existent. I even tried modifying the plastic sabots and squeezed a bit more accuracy out of them, but still ended up with 4-5" groups at 100 yds.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    One of the ammo companies, I think it was Remington used to sell a round called the Accelerator. As Geronimo states, the speed was crazy shooting .223 from a 30-06, but the accuracy wasn't good.
    Years back I had a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06. Tried a box of the Accelerator. 55gr .224 at 4000fts, very little recoil. They were available in 30-06, 308, 30-30. As stated above, the accuracy wasn't good.

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    Ok thanks Guys for your answers u have answered all of my questions. And DocIndy I wasnt at scroggins gun shop when i seen them but do know what u are talking about. I used to buy reloads off of them all the time when the old man was running the business, but unfortinately since his kid has takin over I havent had any luck with his reloads and think he borderlines saftey. I have since stopped buying reloads off of him. Have even seen and heard of his reloads blowing peoples rifles up since his boy took over. Since started my own reloading so as the only person to blame is myself. thanks again all was thinking of trying to reload some myself but im reloading for accuracy so i dnt think this is the way i want to go considering the replys as to the accuracy. Thanks again Kevin

Top Bottom