• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    It was one of those mornings...where nothing seemed to go right.. I had my alarm set ... my son decided at 3am that he didnt wanna sleep anymore and threw a fit till about 4am... which completely threw off my sleep schedule... and in turn .. I over slept this morning. So I wake up and throw my stuff together to rush out the door (already late) and my son wakes up again ...and he doesnt want me to leave.. So I finally make it out the door and I the area that i wanted to hunt would require me to cross by the other two guys that hunt the ground with me. Since I was running late and its my fault, I didnt wanna risk messing up their hunt. So i got to my stand that I had let cool down for about a week or so now. I have only ever seen does and small bucks there... not once have I seen a mature deer through there. I saw a few doe right away that were outside of gun range and not coming in. Two coyotes come in.... and one of them just would not leave. I'm already frustrated for a late start and feeling like im in the wrong spot.. So I decided it was gonna die. So I pull up on it.. ready to send it to the afterlife :ar15:... and i feel my phone buzz. I look down and its a message saying "big buck heading your way". I figured "yeah right I wont see it, but ok Ill wait". Finally the yote leaves and I decided to give a lil blind call to coerce the potential deer heading my way to keep an interest. Within a few minutes he walks in... I watch him rub a tree and make a scrape... turns and walks straight into me to 18 yards. I hit him and he stumbled about 20 yards and turned broadside.. I put another in him.. and down he went. Here is my first buck:

DSCN2803.jpg
    DSCN2798.jpg

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Congratulations! Things can turn around on a dime. You just never know what is going to happen in the deer woods. If you'd have shot that coyote, you'd have more than likely climbed down to retrieve it and never saw that buck.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    That's a nice buck! According to the Hoosier Record Book, that text would make your hunt fall into an "unfair chase hunt" and your deer wouldn't be allowed in. Nice buck though.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Nice buck.

The most productive hunts I've had have been those that did not get started as planned.

Before much longer, your son will be asking to go with you. Before much longer after that your son will be moved out on his own and you'll be asking if you can go with him!

Take and enjoy each day as it come.

dawg1981

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Southport IN
    That's a nice buck! According to the Hoosier Record Book, that text would make your hunt fall into an "unfair chase hunt" and your deer wouldn't be allowed in. Nice buck though.

I was waiting for someone to say something about this!

You are not supposed to use walkie talkies or other
    electronic means of communication in the field to
    "alert" another hunter that "game" is on it's way

correct?

Dawg

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I'm aware that would have violated the fair chase... however, for the record the person that messaged me was a 12 yr old kid who hunts the ground with his grandpa. Those two, me and another person hunt the property. We don't purposely tell each other when deer are coming. To be honest, i didnt even know what stand he was in that morning, but he knew where I was hunting. So.. yes.. he told me... but I didnt ask for it, nor could I control him sending me the message. I agree that had he not sent me the message, I may have smoked that yote and not gotten the deer.. idk. I really didn't put too much thought into it. There are a lot of people that hunt the neighboring properties.. so we try and keep in contact with each other after shots are fired, etc to help each other out for safety reasons.

yes you are correct in the way it reads, but I dont want you to think that I hunt that way intentionally. I fully support fair chase and try and do everything by the book.

dcary7

dawg1981

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Southport IN
    I'm aware that would have violated the fair chase... however, for the record the person that messaged me was a 12 yr old kid who hunts the ground with his grandpa. Those two, me and another person hunt the property. We don't purposely tell each other when deer are coming. To be honest, i didnt even know what stand he was in that morning, but he knew where I was hunting. So.. yes.. he told me... but I didnt ask for it, nor could I control him sending me the message. I agree that had he not sent me the message, I may have smoked that yote and not gotten the deer.. idk. I really didn't put too much thought into it. There are a lot of people that hunt the neighboring properties.. so we try and keep in contact with each other after shots are fired, etc to help each other out for safety reasons.

yes you are correct in the way it reads, but I dont want you to think that I hunt that way intentionally. I fully support fair chase and try and do everything by the book.

dcary7

No harm no foul....It was great that your son was a part
    of your hunt!...he will remember it forever!

mooch1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    nice

Nice buck especially your first, bigger than my first:):
    i know what its like to try and hunt and have a little one.

Top Bottom