• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Approximately 2500 rounds of polished 5.56 boxer primed brass with free shipping for $145. I'm tempted to get these myself (17 packages available).

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Approximately 2500 rounds of polished 5.56 boxer primed brass with free shipping for $145. I'm tempted to get these myself (17 packages available).

I ordered this, and only got about 2400 rounds of brass, and I had to throw away about 400 rounds as totally unusable. Yes, the shipping was free, but they charged SALES TAX even though they are not located in Indiana. This is NOT a government outlet, but a commercial venue. So, why do they charge tax? I called them about this, and they said that they just do. They won't even take a merchant tax number to avoid the tax. They said to pay the tax, or don't order - that's the way they do business. I wonder where this "tax" REALLY goes. So, figure ($145 x 1.07) divided by 2000 rounds to get your TRUE cost.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I ordered this, and only got about 2400 rounds of brass, and I had to throw away about 400 rounds as totally unusable. Yes, the shipping was free, but they charged SALES TAX even though they are not located in Indiana. This is NOT a government outlet, but a commercial venue. So, why do they charge tax? I called them about this, and they said that they just do. They won't even take a merchant tax number to avoid the tax. They said to pay the tax, or don't order - that's the way they do business. I wonder where this "tax" REALLY goes. So, figure ($145 x 1.07) divided by 2000 rounds to get your TRUE cost.
    IIRC, it's a gov't contractor, similar to govliquidation. Why they charge sales-tax? I can't answer that, but technically, it is still your responsibility to pay sales tax on that item even if they don't charge it. So you're complaining about the sales tax why?

I can understand your frustration if they wouldn't wave the tax if you had a tax number though.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    IIRC, it's a gov't contractor, similar to govliquidation. Why they charge sales-tax? I can't answer that, but technically, it is still your responsibility to pay sales tax on that item even if they don't charge it. So you're complaining about the sales tax why?

I can understand your frustration if they wouldn't wave the tax if you had a tax number though.

I cannot comment on the Brass prices but the other items seem expensive to me and the Tax issue is who's receiving the tax or is the company pocketing it. You would owe Indiana Sales Tax on the Purchase if They are Not forwarding it to Indiana

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I cannot comment on the Brass prices but the other items seem expensive to me and the Tax issue is who's receiving the tax or is the company pocketing it. You would owe Indiana Sales Tax on the Purchase if They are Not forwarding it to Indiana
    I'm pretty sure that a contractor for the federal gov't is held accountable on the state sales taxes that they collect. I could be mistaken, but one would hope so.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010

You got lucky! I weeded out about twice that from my batch.:xmad: I ordered the unpolished and I was thinking if I ever ordered more it might be worth getting the polished stuff.:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield

It is Government Liquidation. They charge sales tax because they operate in at least in all 48 contiguous states, if not in HI and AK too. And to the person concerned if they would submit the sales tax that they collect... If they don't, they are breaking the law. If you collect sales taxes, you must turn it over to the state gov you collect it for (sort of, you get discounts based on the amount you collect and for turning it in on time or early at least in Indiana).

Hopefully if they are selling one off items, they are inspecting to make sure the items are in good condition. Years ago I used to buy thousands of pounds of things from them at a time and it wasn't completely out of the question to find yourself buying a box of stuff that 90% was dumpster fodder (clothing that had burn damage, gear that was all but crushed) etc. What made it worthwhile though was the joy of finding stuffs that was brand spanking new with swing tags or still new in the shipping box.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    From looking at prices on several different things, I wouldn't say most the prices are that high. I've seen stuff that was extremely outdated and pretty beat at surplus shops for similar prices.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    It is Government Liquidation. They charge sales tax because they operate in at least in all 48 contiguous states, if not in HI and AK too. And to the person concerned if they would submit the sales tax that they collect... If they don't, they are breaking the law. If you collect sales taxes, you must turn it over to the state gov you collect it for (sort of, you get discounts based on the amount you collect and for turning it in on time or early at least in Indiana).

Hopefully if they are selling one off items, they are inspecting to make sure the items are in good condition. Years ago I used to buy thousands of pounds of things from them at a time and it wasn't completely out of the question to find yourself buying a box of stuff that 90% was dumpster fodder (clothing that had burn damage, gear that was all but crushed) etc. What made it worthwhile though was the joy of finding stuffs that was brand spanking new with swing tags or still new in the shipping box.

The girl I talked to on the phone said they they WERE NOT part of the government. She said that they were a private firm that purchased government surplus directly from the government, and were simply reselling it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    It is Government Liquidations. They aren't part of the government, that is correct. However, they are a government contractor. The girl you talked to, well...she probably just answers phones. Most of the "office" people that I've met at the various pick up sites for the govliquidation auctions were...well, we'll call them simple. Here is directly from the Government Liquidation site (which is the auction side).

Government Liquidation (GL), a Liquidity Services, Inc. marketplace is the exclusive contractor of the DLA Disposition Services for the sale of surplus and scrap assets of the United States Department of Defense (DOD).

GL operates an innovative and powerful online sales channel that enables surplus buyers to purchase available government assets in a convenient and open environment. GL utilizes world-class logistics, technology, marketing and customer service capabilities to assemble and promotes available property for the convenience of its buyers. With over 500 different commodity categories and thousands of surplus items added weekly to our inventory, GL offers surplus Buyers a unique and dynamic pool of property for purchase and resale. GL's dedicated team of professionals manage over 1 million square feet of warehouse space and maintain outposts on over 150 military bases throughout the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam.

GL is part of a critical mission to keep surplus and idle inventories moving out of facilities nationwide, maximizing efficiencies, while creating a valuable cash flow source to the U.S. Treasury. This is accomplished with a strong emphasis on national security, through inventory assurance measures and strict purchasing restrictions. Government Liquidation is the leading global seller of assets in over 500 different U.S. Government commodity categories, including:

Top Bottom