• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    It's just a little complicated! My grandpa owns his retirement home on a golf course in Florida but rents it out and hasn't actually lived there for 3 years. He owns a motor home that he keeps parked here in Indiana and hasn't moved it in years. His drivers license and auto registration is done in Florida but with an Indiana address. Weird huh?

Can he get either Florida CCW or LTCH under these circumstances? My understanding of the Florida ccw is it wouldn't be adequate for him since he has an Indiana address on his license, and with a Florida D.L. I don't see how he could qualify for our LTCH. Is his only options to change his residency back to IN with an IN D.L. or change his D.L. address back to Florida?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Holey Moley! Who's on first? :dunno:

Here is the "go to" authority in the State of Indiana. Lt. Berkey is over all LTCH in Indiana as the designee of Cpt. Ruben Marte'.

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police
    Records Division, Rm 302
    100 N. Senate Avenue--IGCN
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263
    MW2498

Contact Lt. Berkey, and see what he has to say.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I just moved to Florida about a year ago from Indiana. How can you have a Florida Drivers License and Vehicle Registration with an out of state address? I dont think you can. I had to surrender my Indiana Drivers License(but not my Indiana Plate) when I applied for my Florida Drivers License. I have my Florida CWP and I still have my Indiana LTCH. Florida and Indiana honor each others handgun permits, as long as you are a resident of one or the other state.
    My vehicle is registered and plated by Indiana still, but I have a Florida Drivers License with my Florida address on it. So legally I am a resident of Florida and I "should" have a Florida License Plate, Registration and Insurance. So technically my Indiana License Plate is illegal here.
    Technically, my Indiana LTCH is no longer valid since I am not a resident of Indiana any longer. However, Indiana recognizes Florida's handgun permit, so I can carry in both states. Cant open carry in Florida, must be concealed. Dont know if I helped or not. I tried.
    It's all based on where your "legal" residence is. To get a Florida CWP, you must be a Florida resident. My only took 6 days to arrive at my door.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    How can you have a Florida Drivers License and Vehicle Registration with an out of state address? I dont think you can.
    He showed me his D.L. after I gave him a blank stare wondering how that's possible. I can assure you it is. I figure it's like that because he owns his home in Florida and that is his residence but his real address is Indiana where he keeps the RV parked.

It's all based on where your "legal" residence is. To get a Florida CWP, you must be a Florida resident. My only took 6 days to arrive at my door.

Florida offers non resident CWP also.

A Friend of 2A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It sounds like Florida is treating his home down there as a vacation home and not his permanent residence. Hence the Indiana address on his Florida DL. That being said, he needs to apply for the Indiana LTCH or both and open a bunch of new states where he can carry in that don't accept our LTCH, (if so he choses to). Just by :twocents:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Get a Utah permit... problem solved.

Seriously though, I would check with the ISP. Even though Indiana recognizes Florida's permit, if your primary residence is in IN, you are required to have an IN LTCH. If he resides here more than anywhere else, he is flirting with trouble if he doesn't have an IN LTCH.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    That's crazy.

Obviously he has his vehicles registered in FLA because IN rapes you on registration charges.

I would think he'd have his Residence in FLA to save on taxes as well.

This should be an easy question since he has a Florida license... but the addy... screwy stuff.

A Utah permit would be all but useless. Neither IN or FLA honor and out of state non resident if you reside in that state.

Weirdness.

Top Bottom