• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluBlur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015
    after watching on bigger screen does the person that BARRRRELY misses getting mowed down by the car before getting a good 3 wacks let off at least one shot>? or am I just seeing things? the one in all black that just barely avoids getting rammed
    It looks like he does get a round off before getting hacked..

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I know it's not like the movies, and it's not 1 shot 1 kill.
    But that guy kept getting up.
    I'd worry the gun was defective and have to start kicking his head.

You should spend some time in a trama center, gun shot wounds are no big deal 99% of the time. Unless it is a spine/pelvis/brain shot the person does not go down and does not stop, maybe they bleed out or die 30min. later but you still have to deal with the threat, they might decide to keep trying to kill you while they wait to die...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You should spend some time in a trama center, gun shot wounds are no big deal 99% of the time. Unless it is a spine/pelvis/brain shot the person does not go down and does not stop, maybe they bleed out or die 30min. later but you still have to deal with the threat, they might decide to keep trying to kill you while they wait to die...

Right you are. I don't know the number nationally, but Tom Givens has said that if you go into the big trauma center in Memphis with a gunshot wound, the chances of you coming back out alive are well over 90%. This illustrates two things I would say. The fantastic ability of our medical professionals and the poor effectiveness of handguns.

This story illustrates the problem I have with telling people they will never need more than a 5 shot snubby because all of the cases I have looked at in our area shows the fight has been stopped with less than 3 shots or even just the display of a firearm. Yep, that may be the case. It also may be the case that just down the road from you in a different city it may not be the case. I guess if you never travel and no one new moves to your town you should be fine. I don't want to hear any crap about this guy not being a regular criminal but a religious fanatic either. So what. Does that mean you will never run into one of them, or an EDP, or someone who has went into excited delirium? Or even just a "regular" criminal who has a little more determination?

This case may not be common, but it is far from being unheard of.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Right you are. I don't know the number nationally, but Tom Givens has said that if you go into the big trauma center in Memphis with a gunshot wound, the chances of you coming back out alive are well over 90%. This illustrates two things I would say. The fantastic ability of our medical professionals and the poor effectiveness of handguns.

This story illustrates the problem I have with telling people they will never need more than a 5 shot snubby because all of the cases I have looked at in our area shows the fight has been stopped with less than 3 shots or even just the display of a firearm. Yep, that may be the case. It also may be the case that just down the road from you in a different city it may not be the case. I guess if you never travel and no one new moves to your town you should be fine. I don't want to hear any crap about this guy not being a regular criminal but a religious fanatic either. So what. Does that mean you will never run into one of them, or an EDP, or someone who has went into excited delirium? Or even just a "regular" criminal who has a little more determination?

This case may not be common, but it is far from being unheard of.

We all need to watch that video periodically to remind us how puny handguns are, and that included the might magnum revolvers as well.

Unless you damage the central nervous system or so some unlikely, massive damage to some skeletal support, people who stop immediately after they're shot with a handgun are doing so for psychological reasons. There is nothing wrong with that from our perspective, and in fact it's a good thing. The other side is that we cannot count on it happening, as shown in the video.

It takes minutes, not fractions of a second or seconds, to bleed out enough to render someone helpless.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I would usually agree about the retreating felon thing. But, in the context of the video - after he used his car as a weapon, used the chopping blade up close, then threw it at the civilian shooter - a strong argument could be made that baddie was seeking out another weapon. Plus, in that part of the world, no way to know if he had a suicide vest on, or nearby, so shooting until he didn't move could be more defensible.

Not arguing, really, just throwing out a different assessment.

This.

The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist, and to make sure he is dead you need to see his brains. I don't know about Israeli law, but I would not have faulted the armed citizen for putting one or three in that attacker's head at any point after the attack began, whether the attacker was down, up, crawling away, whatever. This is not your run of the mill criminal robber who's not really interested in fighting and might run away from serious resistance. The organized terrorists and the lone-wolf guys want to kill and maim as many as possible until they are stopped, so stop them sooner rather than later. His last act may very well be pulling the pin on a grenade or vest...

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Seeing the video, it seems that the guy with the pistol was using a lot of restraint/cya by holding his fire when the terrorist was down. A head shot, or several, was definitely called for. As for stopping power and caliber, sometimes you just have a bad day and have to keep at them until they're dead/disabled. In the FBI shootout one of the robbers (Maddox?) got shot in the face with a +P .38 and got back up into the fight.

Top Bottom