• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    In the past, I usually bought a pound of gunpowder at a time for my handgun reloading needs. However, the last time I needed some, I ended up buying 8 pounds to save a couple of bucks. I am now finally getting down to the last pound or two in the container and have noticed that there is a lot more dust, which I assume is graphite, in each charge. Is this normal when buying larger quantities of powder and do you need to throw away the last of it when/if the dust becomes too high of a concentration (and how do you determine this)?

Since I work typically with minimum charges, I'm wondering if the charges might need to be increased slightly to avoid squib loads, especially as I get towards the end.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    First, Don't increase your charges.

Just wondering - why would you think it's graphite dust? I'm assuming it's in the bottom of the powder jug? What kind of powder is it?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I usually try to invert my 8lb containers a time or two as I use them to help keep the contents more evenly distributed as I've noticed some powders do tend to have a little more dust towards the end if I don't.

The best is to have a chrony to see what is going on with your loads. As long as your current charge weight is below maximum and you are NOT noticing any excess pressure signs currently then you can increase your charge weight a little and keep an eye out for pressure signs, but without a way of measuring velocity you are just guessing. The smaller dust can just as easily be actual powder as well and generally speaking smaller particle size leads to faster burning.

The safest course of action is to go ahead and buy more powder of the same type then mix the remnants of the old container in with the new. This is what I do.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    First, Don't increase your charges.

Just wondering - why would you think it's graphite dust? I'm assuming it's in the bottom of the powder jug? What kind of powder is it?

I think gunpowder (in this case Win 231) is manufactured/mixed with a slight amount of graphite to help it flow through the powder measure. I assume the powder I'm seeing is graphite, with emphasis on assume. No way to really telling what it is unless I loaded up a shell with a heavier concentration of the dust and try to shoot it.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I usually try to invert my 8lb containers a time or two as I use them to help keep the contents more evenly distributed as I've noticed some powders do tend to have a little more dust towards the end if I don't.

The best is to have a chrony to see what is going on with your loads. As long as your current charge weight is below maximum and you are NOT noticing any excess pressure signs currently then you can increase your charge weight a little and keep an eye out for pressure signs, but without a way of measuring velocity you are just guessing. The smaller dust can just as easily be actual powder as well and generally speaking smaller particle size leads to faster burning.

The safest course of action is to go ahead and buy more powder of the same type then mix the remnants of the old container in with the new. This is what I do.

All good ideas. I don't have a chrony, but inverting the container a couple times before use makes a lot of sense, as does mixing the remnants with a new container.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My 8lb kegs get inverted every time I fill up my powder measure. So I guess they get inverted 8 to 12 times before they are empty. I am curious how you guys get the powder out if you don't tip the keg?

I wouldn't worry about a little extra graphite. It is not a nail biter situation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom