• ...and so much more!
  • billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Finally got to my range today to "Test Drive" a new load that I have worked up for .38 Special. I'm satisfied with the performance of it, for what it is:
    158gr. Cast RNFP. I cast with the Lee 6 gang mold, sized to .358"+lubed with 'Jakes Scarlet'.(Hi temp lube, that must be heated to flow-I made a metal base plate+use an Iron for my heat source)

Something a little different I tried this time, I lightly tumbled these lubed bullets-just lightly shake in a plastic tub-with White MidWay Mica-that my Buddie, TopHat45, provided me.
    This extra step really improved the way the bullets handled and seated!!

I seated this bullet on top of 3.6gr. TiteGroup, with Remington 1 1/2 (SP),in misc. brass, for approx 900 fps.

These loads performed well for me in two different S&W Model 10's (A 10-3, and a 10-10) 4"HB revolvers. For ME--Tennis ball size groups @20 yards is good performance. The 10-3 seemed to group closer to the Bullseye, again for ME.

Kind of a Double Test Session--ONE of the S&W Model 10's is going to our Youngest Daughter and Son-In -Law, in July, as an additional Wedding present from the Wife+I.
    They will get the Model 10-3=It's just a better gun!!

My wheel weight alloy, bullet size/lube choice, and powder selection/charge weight, seem to be working well=Very little lead in the barrel, medium amount of smoke, and good accuracy.

Now that I have "Test Driven" this combo, I need to fire up the Dillon 550+crank out a couple of K of extra "Wedding Presents"...........Bill..

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Mine is a little hotter..

Sounds like a Great load. I run a dardas 158 gr SWC cast with 3.4 gr titegroup that's a tackdriver load!

Yea Steve, my as cast bullets run a little light for mold specs.(155-156gr.) due to a little heavy on the tin/antimony content, so I thought that I would run about .2gr. more on the Tightgroup than your load. Seems to give a good gas seal with the alloy that I am running.

I, along with most re-loaders, made the mistake early on in my cast bullet loading, of running to light on the powder charge. This made, for me, too much barrel leading, due to the poor gas seal.

Missouri Bullet Co. has a good explanation of this on their web site. It has helped me understand more on the characteristic's of cast bullet load data...Bill.

Top Bottom