• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There is already an exhaust fan on the furnace to blow the co through the flue. I would just add another in the pipe to help it get all the co through the underground pipe. If the outside fan quit for some reason and the inside fan wasn't strong enough to blow it all out, the furnace would shut down because of the safeties in the furnace. Kinda like a clogged flue. We have co detectors also.

I'm going to pipe it through the roof of the greenhouse and add a heat exchanger to the pipe. I realized I was confusing co and co2 when talking about it. Plants breath co2 and furnace puts out co. So piping it straight in probably wouldn't be smart.

No you weren't confusing them, a perfect furnace will only produce co2, but furnaces aren't perfect. They produce co2 and co. It depends on o2 present and a whole host of other things. The co2 isn't that dangerous until it hits very high levels, above 30% or so(I'm going from memory from hazmat classes years ago so don't trust my memory).

CO is a different story, it can kill you at much much lower concentrations. I have co detectors in my house also where needed.

If you decide to go with your idea, get advice from at least 3 hvac pros in your area.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I wouldn't mind having a little green house, it would be nice to extend my growing season a bit & I could let the chickens occasionally forage in there when the weather was bad, when they'd otherwise be confined in their coop.

I saw some inexpensive plastic paneled "kit" ones ($300ish) at Northern Tool that I was serious considering, but the reviews were less than favorable so I have been hesitant.

Top Bottom