Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Group Buy: Fort Wayne BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II Dual Band "Ham" Radio
    all%20colors.jpg

To copy the success of the NWI thread, I thought I would offer the FW guys a shot. Shamelessly copied without permission. I will program all radios with local frequencies.

Good FAQ on this radio:
    http://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/uv-3r_faq_2011-10-12.pdf

WHAT:
    - BAOFENG UV-3R Mark II 136-174/400-470Mhz Dual Band Radio (Firmware with 18 menu options)
    - USB Program Cable + Software

COST: (depends on final qty)
    - $53.50 or less
    $51.90 per radio as order is 5+
    $51.41 per radio as order is 7+
    $50.40 per radio as order is 14+

- Order will be placed on 17 FEB 2012 & takes 14 days to arrive.
    MONEY IS DUE BY17 FEB 2012.

WHERE:
    - Pickup from Fort Wayne, IN

RADIO DETAILS:

Here are the features of the radio.
    VHF/ UHF DUAL-BAND TWO WAY RADIO Dual Frequency Display
    Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-470MHz
    Dual-Band Display, Dual-Standby
    Dual Frequency Display
    Dualdisplay and standby state
    Output Power: 2 Watts
    99 Channels + 1 Emergency Channel
    50 CTCSS and 104 CDCSS
    Built-in VOX Function
    1750Hz Brust Tone
    FM Radio (87.0MHz-108.0MHz)
    LED Flashlight
    Large LCD Display
    Hight /Low Power Switchable
    25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable
    Emergency Alert
    Low Battery Alert
    Battery Saver
    Time-out Timer
    Keypad Lock
    Monitor Channel
    Channel Step: 5/6.25/12.5/25KHz
    PACKAGE DETAILS:

This is everything that is included per radio ordered.
    1x UV-3R ( Mark II ) Dual-Band Radio (136-174 / 400-470MHz )
    1x 3.7V Li-ion Battery Pack
    1x Dual Band Antenna
    1x PTT Earpiece
    1x Belt Clip
    1x English Manual
    1x Desktop Charger ( 100V ~ 240V ) with correct adapter for USA
    1x USB Cable
    uv-3r%28markII%29_2.jpg

INFO NEEDED FROM YOU

If you are interested in this group buy please post in this thread the following:
    name
    qty
    color (camo, blue, red, yellow, black)
    REFERENCE/WHY THIS RADIO
    If you are in Northeast IN we will have a HAM DEMO that you can attend.
    Date and location to follow.

This model radio was talked about here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/survival_and_disaster_preparedness/186600-dual_band_ham_radio_46_a.html
    and here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/survival_and_disaster_preparedness/191261-starter_ham_radio.html

It's a starter radio for someone who may be interested in getting in HAM Radio but does not want to spend a lot of money.

DISCLAIMER/NOTE OF WARNING
    Anyone can own this radio. However if you do not have an Ham Radio License you ARE NOT allowed to transmit on this or any other ham radio. You can still listen in, hear the NOAA weather, local EMS, etc.

The cost for a 10-year license is aorund $14 and more information can be found here: American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    The links are truncated and yield a 404. Can you put the full links up. Do you know the approximate range one could expect between a pair of these in the Fort Wayne area?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The links are truncated and yield a 404. Can you put the full links up. Do you know the approximate range one could expect between a pair of these in the Fort Wayne area?

Thanks for catching that, I think I fixed them.

Range is a whole topic that will be discussed in a training class here.

This radio could talk to the space shuttle but not reach the next neighborhood.

I would say that using repeaters here in town, 20 mile range depending on the antenna on the other end receiving.

Radio alone with no repeater you are looking at using it as in the field squad comms. Even if you never transmit, having the the ability to listen what this can pull in is worth the price. You do have the ability to use external antennas though. I will say if your goal is 20 mile comms radio to radio with no repeaters than this is not the radio for you.

Plus, I program all 100 channels for you.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Even if there are not enough buyers to make a group buy worthwhile, I will still be happy to have a class on basic emergency communications.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    "DISCLAIMER/NOTE OF WARNING: Anyone can own this radio. However if you do not have an Ham Radio License you ARE NOT allowed to transmit on this or any other ham radio. You can still listen in, hear the NOAA weather, local EMS, etc."

This web site: Baofeng UV-3R Micro-Miniature Dual Band Handheld HT refers to this radio as "FCC Part 90 certified" From what I can tell that radio service also requires a license, in addition to the Ham licence, if you want to transmit on the business band frequency range.

The Ham licencee is easy to get. Go to : HamTestOnline™ - Ham Radio Exam Courses and pay $20 for the service, study for a few weeks and go take the test somewhere (unfortunately the FCC test is NOT available on line yet). Listings of where the tests are given are located here: Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area although I didn't have much luck pulling any results up except when leaving everything but the state blank and then sorting through the state.

There is an UNLICENSED band that is called MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service). It has a limit of 2 watts which is this radio's max. I don't know if you can Legally operate this particular radio on that service because I haven't read all of the MURS rules (and the FCC, being a govt agency has some strange rules), but it certainly falls within the frequency range of which this radio is capable, and below AND the max power limit.

The fcc description says the range is limited to less then a few miles, whatever that means: "The usual range of communications between MURS devices is less than a few miles; connecting the unit to an external antenna can extend the range to ten miles or more. You cannot make telephone calls with a MURS device."

You could obviously pick up other stations farther away (Receive only) who have more power output, but expect to have the other radio (or repeater if in amateur band) close to you.

Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) | FCC.gov

1 151.820 MHz 11.25 kHz N/A
    2 151.880 MHz 11.25 kHz N/A
    3 151.940 MHz 11.25 kHz N/A
    4 154.570 MHz 20.00 kHz Blue Dot
    5 154.600 MHz 20.00 kHz Green Dot

Although there are situations where transmit power of 5 to 100W would be useful; if you are using them for neighborhood watch or neighborhood defense, there are some very good reasons why limiting your power output would be smart. Radio signal interception and Direction Finding are common in many scenarios.

Last edited:

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    If this buy does not hit critical mass, and you are interested in participating in the group buy of these radios through the NWI group, I would be willing to meet someone from the Fort Wayne area near Warsaw or Columbia City to distribute them to the northeast corner.

I am already bring radios back to the South Bend area for a few buyers...

I know his deadline is tomorrow for orders, but he can take a Paypal if you want in...

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom