• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What do people like or dislike about Gun Banquets? I know there are several different groups that sponsor these events.

Do you feel these groups do good for the community?

What if anything would you like to see changed at one of these events?

Full disclosed: I am involved with the Friends of the NRA Banquet.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My vote shouldn't count either I guess. I'm a committee member for the Tippecanoe Co. FNRA.

The only thing I woul change about ours would be the meeting place. The current facility is adequate, but just barely.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I've been to a few of these. My only complaint is that I don't have enough money to play the games with and I never win anything. LOL. Seriously though, I wouldn't mind a little faster process, I'm usually tired of sitting there about an hour before it finishes.

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    It appears all the national organizations (NRA, DU, NWTF, etc.) require the local groups to purchase a "banquet package" that includes way too much "fluff". Most of my friends who attend these events are interested in firearms and related accessories but don't care about the framed prints, coat racks, coolers, weather vanes and such. We understand these events are fund raisers and don't mind dropping some funds but the quantity of "non-related" items seem to always far exceed the stuff we actually are interested in buying or winning.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It appears all the national organizations (NRA, DU, NWTF, etc.) require the local groups to purchase a "banquet package" that includes way too much "fluff". Most of my friends who attend these events are interested in firearms and related accessories but don't care about the framed prints, coat racks, coolers, weather vanes and such. We understand these events are fund raisers and don't mind dropping some funds but the quantity of "non-related" items seem to always far exceed the stuff we actually are interested in buying or winning.

That "fluff" brings in a boatload of bucks for each local chapter. You may not be interested in the prints and the like, but others are and it provides a little diversity.
    Firearms are expensive if you haven't noticed. If they "gave away" nothing but firearms, the evening would be over VERY early.

It is after all a fundraiser.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Like - boobie-girls selling tix.
    Dislike - not winning

Did win a nice S&W M&P40 a couple of years ago though - bought a 2/clubs from boobie-girl for $20.00!

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN

I agree with this. I understand what it's for and why they have it there. I attend all 3 and think clothing and gear would get me more excited and get my wallet out faster. At the DU and NWTF I wish they had more hunting gear. I know what the other stuff like the prints are for and they always sell. That's just what would interest me more. You asked.:ingo:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife and I are attending our first on Friday. I guess I'll have to report back after. I really have no idea what to expect, but thought we should try one out. At worst it will be an expensive "date night". At best we'll both win something!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What if anything would you like to see changed at one of these events?

I am a proud 10 year + sponsor of Friends of the NRA in West Lafayette. My only complaint is that it is not held on a Friday or Saturday night.

The way some of that nonsense drags on and on--"I hear $8.75 for the eagle head ashtray"--it wears you down.

If we have to do it on a school night, then get to the meat, the guns, and keep it moving. I don't want to sit through the deer's head funeral urn or the duck wine bottle holder auction.

Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It appears all the national organizations (NRA, DU, NWTF, etc.) require the local groups to purchase a "banquet package" that includes way too much "fluff".

So your not really looking for a toaster to burn the NRA logo into your toast or a waffle iron that makes the NRA logo in your waffles :rolleyes:

I understand, I too look for the guns and gadgets, not stuff to hang on my walls.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have never been to one and really don't know what it is.:dunno:

Basically its a banquet like many other banquets meant to raise money. The one I'm involved with is on a Friday night at a local car museum so you get the added benefit of touring the museum included in your dinner ticket price.

There are normally the basic dinner ticket and then there are dinner ticket packages and corporate sponsor packages.

You can purchase tickets for bucket draws, some games of chance like the bullet draw, a live and silent auction and of course you get your dinner. There are several gun drawings/raffles, the gun of the year drawing and the door prize is a .380 handgun. There's a cash bar if you're so inclined.

The presentations and auctions can drag out, but all in all, its a pretty good time if you know some of the other people at your table and like to socialize.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Got invited to one this upcoming friday, and couldn't turn it down quick enough. Don't have any regrets, even though we knew everyone at our table.

Top Bottom