• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Looks like Australia has been a classic example of why Gun Control fails to reduce crime, or make anyone safer.
    In Australia:

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president, governors or other politicians disseminating this information. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans.....before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson. With guns, we are citizens. Without them, we are subjects.

And some general statistics of Gun Control throughout the 20th Century.
    Lets do like the rest of the World

Interesting Lesson In The History of Gun Control....

Whether you agree or not, it's an interesting lesson in history. Something to think about...

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million. And this is a VERY low, conservative estimate. Professor R.J. Rummel says it's closer to 170 MILLION (see: 20th Century Democide ) ALL the governments which murdered their own people were COLLECTIVIST governments.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    For some reason I was thinking they had repealed that must of been thinking some other country, however I think the land down under should consider giving the citizens their arms back.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I would be careful before I go around citing this one. Austrailia didn't ban all guns. They banned assault rifles and had a gun "buy back". Here is an interesting look at this issue:

snopes.com: Australian Guns Stats

Great Link, I was not as informed as I had thought I was,

:+1: for your post.

Now some things of note:

This is not so. Australian citizens do not (and never did) have a constitutional right to own firearms — even before the 1997 buyback program, handgun ownership in Australia was restricted to certain groups, such as those needing weapons for occupational reasons, members of approved sporting clubs, hunters, and collectors. Moreover, the 1997 buyback program did not take away all the guns owned by these groups; only some types of firearms (primarily semi-automatic and pumpaction weapons) were banned. And even with the ban in effect, those who can demonstrate a legitimate need to possess prohibited categories of firearms can petition for exemptions from the law.

They NEVER had the rights? Huh? Then why outlaw them? Oh just rights guaranteed by a constitution then. Hmmm, Even MORE reason for us to KEEP ours.

Interesting nonetheless...

I was talking with a gentlemen from Australia at a range one afternoon and the impression he left me with was they took his right to have a firearm for protection because he lived in a city, which is the place he would most likely need it in the first place. He did say that those in the 'outback' could have weapons but they were hard to get. He was not a happy camper about it.

Also that many were not 'sold' back but stored away..

It makes you think for sure.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would be careful before I go around citing this one. Austrailia didn't ban all guns. They banned assault rifles and had a gun "buy back". Here is an interesting look at this issue:

snopes.com: Australian Guns Stats

Doesn't that just prove even more that gun control is a bad idea. They didn't even ban everything, and yet the crime rate went way up. Maybe other countries will look at this and take it into consideration. Doubt it though.
    My question is.... Even if they did try that here, You don't register most firearms in Indiana, so how do they know who has them. They expect us to be honest and just admit to owning them....haha funny.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The snopes info is entertaining but it's 2 years old. I wonder what the current stats say? I've spoken directly to subjects of the Queen, (Brits) and they are in a sad state of affairs and only getting worse. They are actually seeing public demonstrations for the return of gun rights.

Top Bottom