• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QingLong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I know most folks here have a decidedly poor view of anyone who wears a "liberal" label, but in the interest of engagement and civil discussion, I present this well-thought out essay as a means to cogently, calmly, and sensibly explain to your liberal family members, acquaintances, and friends why banning "assault weapons" is utterly pointless.

Why Not Renew the “Assault Weapons” Ban? Well, I’ll Tell You… « Kontradictions

I've always believed that education and explanation are the ways to bring someone over to your side, and that derision and contempt only deepen the divisions between people.

(Fair warning: read any other articles on this guy's site at your own risk; his views on other topics are in keeping with his self-identification as a liberal.)

(Apologies if this was already posted, either recently or in the years since it was first written.)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Oh yea, what a sucker:

Despite this conspicuously moderate viewpoint, the NRA continues to stoke the flames of fear, promising that once Obama is reelected to a second term, he’ll have no reason to hold back on the gun control legislation he’s been wanting to implement since 2004. In fact, at a recent CPAC conference in Florida, NRA vice president Wayne LaPierre went so far as to suggest, without offering any evidence, that Obama’s failure to act on gun control has been a “massive Obama conspiracy” to postpone his attack on the second amendment until his second term.[5] While I appreciate the NRA’s vigilance on an issue I feel strongly about, I can’t help but think that it is rants like this that make much of the populace totally unable to identify with the organization.

The complacent rollover pacifist in him helped get Obama re-elected by claiming Obama was a moderate, just like so many other fools.

QingLong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, see, calling people "fools" is exactly what doesn't work. You want to win people over and get them to use their Constitutionally-granted right to vote, to vote in your favor, the best tactic is reason and calm persuasion, not name-calling.

This is an important time, especially with more Republicans agreeing to a need for gun legislation. It will take a lot of voices - well-informed and diverse voices - to persuade our representatives and senators to look carefully at what they're discussing and promote laws that actually help to reduce violence rather than provide cosmetic placebos.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Posted on Facebook. Way better than anything I have written (and it comes from a liberal. Who knew?)

Not all liberals are idiots...usually just some of the extremely vocal ones (but that can be said for conservatives as well). I've got some VERY liberal friends that have been approaching debates about mass shootings, guns, and many things related to societal/governmental changes we've been seeing. I've only ran into one that falls back to ignorance even though he is open to facts and data. Many of them have been wondering what can be done to stop future incidents and only the one has gone to gun bans or control. Most want to see better mental health treatment and more awareness and they all agree parents need to be much more involved.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    they love guns, just not for the public, they would love to have all the guns while the public has nothing to stop their own gov't from turning their country into the next communist country

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Threads merged.

It's difficult to determine what someone believes just because of the "R" or "D" they vote for. So, it's easier to believe all believe in one thing or the other. I will agree with Zippy, because many liberals I know believe they are okay to have guns, just as long as the "crazies" don't own them.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    ALL gun owners need to stick together. Over the years I have seen different factions within the firearms community badmouth the other factions among us. Hunters vs. hand-gunners vs. paper punchers vs. open carry, etc.. We dam well better all stick together as gun owners, Liberal, Conservative, Democrat, Republican and Libertarian or we will all lose our rights eventually.

Top Bottom