• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Does anyone have experience with the Gun Dr in Roselle, IL? I want to do some work to my GI Springer. The work on their website is impressive, while I've not gotten the quote, I don't mind paying a craftsman for quality work. I got a quick response when I communicated with them, but I had a few questions also. I have read a couple comments about the exhorbitant cost of transfers, and while I hate to trust internet reviews, that is all I have right now.

If I am having a pistol serviced in Illinois, do I need to do an FFL transfer? I can transport firearms between Indiana and Illinois if they are locked in the trunk, but is the FFL transfer a means of documenting the presence of firearms in Illinois that are not in possession of respective owners (i.e. a change of custody form)? Or is it so they can sell the pistol if I fail to pay for it--I find that unlikely though, becauwe most smiths require significant deposits. The place is approx. 35 min from my house, so if I have to pay transfer to my FFL and to the gunsmith to receive, and then twice again for the return, then I will just send the pistol to Garthwaite, as I know he is worth the added expense.

The law is the law, and I certainly don't expect anyone to make exceptions or risk reputation and penalty on my behalf, I just want clarification on the law. I am looking in the Code of Illinois, but I haven't really found it yet.

Thanks.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I will chime in. I am not a lawyer.

I would strongly recommend if hand gun. To disassemble it Remove mag, slide and ammo from made, then put in a locked box in your trunk. That way there is no question about it. You will be safe in that regards. I do not know the laws in IL if you have to disclose that you have a Firearm on your person. But its its in your trunk so I would not disclose such information in the event that you are pulled over. Since it is in your trunk, broken down, it is not a treat to you or them! The police do need a warrant to search your vehicle. If your vehicle is a pig pin i suggest clean it before you travel. IL is an EVIL Police state. I no longer visit that state for that reason.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I know I can transfer it in my vehicle. No need to disassemble, just place it in the trunk. I guess my question is specific to those in NWI near enough to Chicago to have run into this issue before. Let me be more specific. The gunsmith in Illinois is requires an FFL transfer from Indiana to Illinois, and I want to know if this is a legal matter, or is it specific to this shop.

Is an FFL transfer required to have a gunsmith in Illinois work on my pistol? I can understand if the gun has to be shipped, but in this instance, the gunsmith is 35-40 minutes away and transport is legal. Is an FFL transfer required by law for work to be completed, or is this particular place of business requiring an FFL transfer as a means of extra protection of some sort?

As I said before, if law requires, I can understand. If this gunsmith is being excessively (my opinion, but in fairness, it isn't my livelihood at stake) cautious in requiring such a transfer, then I will choose to take my business elsewhere. Their work appears to be top notch, but I will admit that their is also a convenience factor involved, and they have a relatively quick turnaround time. Subtract the geographical convenience, and I will ship the pistol to a more reputable gunsmith.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    (720 ILCS 5/24-3)

Sec. 24-3. Unlawful Sale of Firearms.

A person commits the offense of unlawful sale of firearms when he knowingly:

(h)
    While holding any license under the Federal “Gun Control Act of 1968", as amended, as a dealer, importer, manufacturer or pawnbroker; manufactures, sells or delivers to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other non-homogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit.

For purposes of this paragraph,

(1) “firearm” is defined as in “An Act relating to the acquisition, possession and transfer of firearms and firearm ammunition, to provide a penalty for the violation thereof and to make an appropriation in connection therewith”, approved August 3, 1967, as amended;

(2) “handgun” is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which a firearm can be assembled;

I am unlicensed in Illinois--obviously no FOID card. This is not a firearms sale though, or a transfer of ownership of any kind, and by requiring payment up front, there is no chance that the firearm will transfer ownership.

Still looking.

Last edited:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    (720 ILCS 5/24-4) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-4)

Sec. 24-4. Register of sales by dealer.

(a) Any seller of firearms of a size which may be concealed upon the person, other than a manufacturer selling to a bona fide wholesaler or retailer or a wholesaler selling to a bona fide retailer, shall keep a register of all firearms sold or given away.

(b) Such register shall contain the date of the sale or gift, the name, address, age and occupation of the person to whom the weapon is sold or given, the price of the weapon, the kind, description and number of the weapon, and the purpose for which it is purchased and obtained.

(c) Such seller on demand of a peace officer shall produce for inspection the register and allow such peace officer to inspect such register and all stock on hand.

(d) Sentence. Violation of this Section is a Class B misdemeanor.

There seem to be concrete definitions of sale, transfer, change of ownership, and gift. None of these apply in this instance. The only hang ups I can see is the transportation, and transfer of custody of an unregistered firearm, but the transportation is taken care of on my end, and the transfer is not of ownership, but is a temporary possession for the purpose of maintenance.

I also know that Illinois has multiple codes governing firearms, but the ATF states the following regarding transfers between licensees (FFLs) and nonlicensees:

Neither the transfer of a repaired firearm nor the transfer of a replacement firearm would be subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Furthermore, the regulations provide that a Form 4473 is not required to cover these transactions. However, the licensee’s permanent acquisition and disposition records should reflect the return of the firearm or the transfer of a replacement firearm. [27 CFR 478.124-25]

The only issue I see is with the definition of "acquisition." Any help out there? Is it unlawful for me to receive my own firearm out of state?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Save yourself a lot of trouble and a great deal of risk by having the work done in Indiana. Stay out of the Evil Empire Of Chicago and its captured territory of Illinois. Not even a Bears or Cubs game can persuade me to cross that state line.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Well, per the ATF, the interchange between gunsmith and gun-owner is not a "transfer."

Hell with it, I will send it to Garthwaite and just wait the 12 months.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I don't doubt it.

My point is, that while I may be wrong, transporting a gun to a gunsmith is not illegal, handing off and receiving back a firearm to and from a gunsmith is not defined as a "transfer" by the ATF. I have no doubts about their workmanship, but there is a convenience factor as well. If I have to participate in a transfer, I am goung to go ahead and send my gun to one if the big boys. If I could drop it off and pick it up (I was checking to see if an FFL was required by law--doesn't seem to be), based on their apparent quality, I would go there.

Legal or not though, this place is requiring an FFL transfer. If I have to do that anyway, I am sending it off to Mr. Garthwaite. It's well over a year wait, but when it returns, it's a Garthwaite!

Top Bottom