• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Makes you wonder how many are intentional not just with children, but adults as well. The extremes a person will go through to prove a point is not limited.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I'm 60 years old and this was not smart even in the fifties!

As a young father you haven't been parenting long enough to realize youngsters this age are constantly testing the world around them, regardles what you think you have taught them.

I pray yours don't become one of these statistics.
    I have to say I am slightly offended be you comments. Do you think I am throwing the kids a couple of loaded six guns and seeing who's the faster draw. All I am saying is most of us survived in a household with loaded firearms our entire lives and was asking the question what has changed. Furthermore I know my children, I have been their parent long enough to know what sinks in and what doesn't. If you had different experiences with your children "testing the world around" then maybe you don't understand as their parent I CONTROL THE WORLD AROUND THEM. They are 2&3 and I consider it my most important responsiblity to maintain this control of their surroundings and teach them to make the right decisions even at this early age. I do thank you for the prayers.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Man Up ant be a parent

Man up, Take responsibility for your kids. Take the mystery out of Shooting, let them shoot! After of course they can recite from memory "Every gun is loaded. Every gun is a tool not a toy. If I see a gun do not touch it, find an adult. If my friends want to see Dads guns Dad(or Mom) gives permission to lie and say what guns. When I want to shoot I will ask and you will make arrangements together!"

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    They are 2&3 and I consider it my most important responsiblity to maintain this control of their surroundings and teach them to make the right decisions even at this early age. I do thank you for the prayers.
    So, do everything in your power to seperate those weapons from those children so they don't find themselves alone with them.

They are too young at 2 and 3 years old to trust them to always make the right decisions.

Just sayin'.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My wife and I talked about this a few weeks ago. We both agreed it is more media coverage in hope to get guns band.

I have all my guns put up so the kids can't get to them. I have also started showing my boys my rifles and taking them to the range to shoot the .22. I goal is to get them a understanding of what they do and teach them gun safety. First rule I taught them "Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to kill"

I also tell my kids if you want to see my guns ask me and I will get them out. I let them hold them, look down the scope, play with the clip or just about anything they want WHILE I AM STANDING RIGHT BESIDE THEM. My hope is if they won't sneak off and play with a gun they might find at friends houses.

wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    So, do everything in your power to seperate those weapons from those children so they don't find themselves alone with them.

They are too young at 2 and 3 years old to trust them to always make the right decisions.

Just sayin'.
    my children are not walking around the house with a "weapon" at arms reach to play cowboys and indians with. I managed to survive my youth in a house with firearms simply because I was taught responsibility. Responsibility is not taught once a month at the local range but everytime my kids see a gun which is daily.How many of these kids out there are taught the "every gun is loaded" rule . You can't keep these types of things hide and not discussed until a predetermined aged. It starts early and should be refreshed as often as possible. The point I am trying to convey is that Your way of think has the potential of doing way more harm than good

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I live in the Indianapolis area and there have been a disturbing amount of child/gun related incidents( accidental or not). I am 30 yrs old and can't remember anything like this in my days, so I asked my Father in his 50's. He can't either, so I moved on to Gramps( approaching his 80's). Still nothing. So the question I bring to the table is "Why now?". I know there are not more guns, could it be simply media coverage, or it is that gun fear has driven common sense out of teaching kids about firearms? I (as I am sure most of you) grew up in a house with atleast 1 firearm not locked away in a child proof safe with the ammo secured in an underground lockbox buried in the backyard. I have been around firearms my entire life, the absolute first thing I do when I pick one up is check the chamber that has been beat in my head since day 1. Is this not been taught anymore or are ppl waiting to long to educate their kids. Mine are 2 and 3 and they know what is off limits in mommy and daddy's room. There is a loaded 45 and 12GA around the bed at all times and my kids understand they are not allowed in those areas and do not touch. My 3 yr can tell you gun safety 101. My theory is Gun Paranoia is causing more gun incidents. I would love to hear you guys' opinion and thoughts.
    There are anumber of reasons, but if my memory serves me right, there are either more incidents, or more REPORTED incidents, under dem. pres..... I remember, Carter, Clinton, and now bho .....:twocents:

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I have a 4 in three weeks, 5, and 11 year old children, when you ask them if they can touch a gun, they will say "only if daddy let's me". My kids have had there hands slapped, and there butts spanked to make the point that you don't touch guns without an adult. That being said, i never had a gun safe until i had children. ALL of my firearms are under lock and key, i think kids need education, and parental care. I will continue to teach them about firearms, and how to shoot, and that safety is job one when it comes to guns, but they will remain locked up until my kids move out. I love my family, and i won't take any chances with their safety, i considered getting rid of all but my CC piece, but i decided to go the safe route.

w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    Drakkule I agree with you on this. My children are 6 and 4. I would never consider disrobing my safe, or not having something ready for immediate action in my house. I know that inside of every child are foolish ideas just waiting to take action. I was not older than my daughter when my dad left a relic .36 (never been loaded) laying around. I knew better, but I had to pick it up and play fast draw. I dont remember the semantics, but I do know that by some fashion my old man figured out the gun no longer had dust on it...and....

With that said. Train up a child in the way they should go so when they are old they will not depart from it.

harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Are there really more incidents, or does it seem like more?

My guess (and yes, this is only a guess), is that they make the news more often, but the actual per capital rate is very similar to years past.

While I have no stats to back this up, I would think that there are no more of these situations than statistically normal. However, it really seams like it since we live in the age of the internet.

People are getting so much more information than any other generation before us, and we can process more. Think about when Bloomburg or Fox News first came out, did the little scroller thingys all over the place not annoy the **** out of you? It used to give me a headache, but now my brain has been conditioned to either ignore them, or process the info as needed.

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    personally i think it is a combo of both, lack of responsibility and the media. i was raised to know what a gun(any) can do. that you dont play with it. that you always check to see if its loaded. that you never point the gun at anything you dont intend to kill, and so on... but i think that the younger generation has failed to teach(or know or understand) their children about firearm safety. what ever happened to when you had a problem with someone you would just beat the snott out of each other till you forgot what you were even fighting for...

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Actually there are less accidents among everyone, even kids, according to the NRA.

It's just peoples perceptions. It's the same with crime. The crime rate is close to the lowest its been but people still keep yelling about how more bad & dangerous everything is. THe funny thing is that people have been yeloling about the same thing FOREVER. I'm sure the ancient Greeks probably did the same thing.

To you guys who leave your guns out so your kids can get a hold of them. Good luck. I hope YOU don't become one of those statistics. I've had enough experience with kids to know that you can't control their world every second of every day & no matter how well you teach them they're going to make mistakes. That's why they aren't held as accountable as adults are. Their minds aren't mature enough for impulse control yet.

Having to have "there hands slapped, and there butts spanked to make the point that you don't touch guns without an adult" implies that there has already been an incident in which the kids acted inappropriately around guns or he wouldn't have had to punish them. How much worse could it have been? I hope to never find out.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I live in the Indianapolis area and there have been a disturbing amount of child/gun related incidents( accidental or not). I am 30 yrs old and can't remember anything like this in my days, so I asked my Father in his 50's. He can't either, so I moved on to Gramps( approaching his 80's). Still nothing. So the question I bring to the table is "Why now?". I know there are not more guns, could it be simply media coverage, or it is that gun fear has driven common sense out of teaching kids about firearms? I (as I am sure most of you) grew up in a house with atleast 1 firearm not locked away in a child proof safe with the ammo secured in an underground lockbox buried in the backyard. I have been around firearms my entire life, the absolute first thing I do when I pick one up is check the chamber that has been beat in my head since day 1. Is this not been taught anymore or are ppl waiting to long to educate their kids. Mine are 2 and 3 and they know what is off limits in mommy and daddy's room. There is a loaded 45 and 12GA around the bed at all times and my kids understand they are not allowed in those areas and do not touch. My 3 yr can tell you gun safety 101. My theory is Gun Paranoia is causing more gun incidents. I would love to hear you guys' opinion and thoughts.
    Number one, the main stream media loves a juicy gun story. Helps them keep up their raitings - bastards. Number two, I taught my kids, while they were growing up, to shoot about everything I had. By the time they hit their teen years, they didn't give a rats ass about going to the range with the ol' man anymore. I did not need the company, I did it to make them so familiar(and sick of) guns and shooting, that I know I could have left a loaded gun on the table, and felt relatively safe that they would not blow their toes off with it. HE HE. Don't tell them that though.:):

Top Bottom