• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Hi all
    I have a gun safe that is not fireproof - heavy duty stack on and I really like it. Cost was $300 several years ago and it works great but I am running out of room. My primary reason for a safe is to keep my young'ns away from the weapons. I see all these monster and expensive fireproof safes out there and I have thus far talked myself out of buyin' one for the following reasons:

1. PRICE
    2. If my house burns down and the safe makes it great, but then my guns were just cooked at who knows what internal temp, albeit not burned. What about the damage to the wood and/or warping of metal parts - would I still want to shoot them?
    3. I have a rider policy on my home insurance that covers replacement cost of my guns if they do burn up or get stolen.

So given these reasons I am hesitant to buy a fireproof safe for over a grand when I can get another heavy duty non-fireproof 19 gun safe at Dicks for $400

Thoughts?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    A couple of thoughts:

-The small stack on type safes can be easily carried off and then opened by the thief in private. Things that are bolted down can still be pried up. On the other hand the stack on type safes with the key locks are good for keeping kids out but easy enough to get into quickly in an emergency.

-Are you storing $500 worth of guns in a $3,000 safe or $5,000 worth of guns in a $300 safe? Neither is a good idea.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    A couple of thoughts:

-The small stack on type safes can be easily carried off and then opened by the thief in private. Things that are bolted down can still be pried up. On the other hand the stack on type safes with the key locks are good for keeping kids out but easy enough to get into quickly in an emergency.

-Are you storing $500 worth of guns in a $3,000 safe or $5,000 worth of guns in a $300 safe? Neither is a good idea.

I hear ya but my stack on safe is big and weighs 250 pounds and is bolted to the floor.
    Also, if someone does break in and manages to crack the safe and take the guns my homeowners policy will cover me.

Round Ball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Northern Ind.
    you can't replace your favorite guns if there is more than cash value to them.Sevreal years back I got a Cannon safe and it works well and is fire proof up to 2000* don't think anyone could get it out of my house either.When my kids were smaller I did not worry cause I had them out with me at an early age shooting and learning gun saftey when you teach them early they will be safe. good luck and be SAFE!!!!!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have the fire resistant safe, if you shop around you can find them for not much more than your talking. I want a fire resistant safe because they will most likely save my guns, and most importantly any fire fighter that is trying to save my house! I store all my ammo and reloading powder in my safe also. I know it won't keep powder from exploding for ever but it should slow it down. Just something else to think and prepare for.

MacMan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Great post. I've been wondering the same because I too am running out of space.
    I think I'll wait for a couple more responses from the experts (INGO members) and let these guys Influence my next safe purchase.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    2. If my house burns down and the safe makes it great, but then my guns were just cooked at who knows what internal temp, albeit not burned. What about the damage to the wood and/or warping of metal parts - would I still want to shoot them?

Fire ratings for safes, real ones like Omega and UL, are based on maintaining an internal temp that will not singe paper. Intended as protection for documents rather than gun. But you guns will be fine.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i have a safe i bolted to the house, fireproof for 1400*@20 minutes... good for something... all my other important documents are inside a document fire/water proof safe inside there as well... im not as much worried for somone to pry it open as i am of fire or something to that nature.... i cant prevent anything or anyone from taking it.. if they want it they will get it.. but if i can make it a pain in the ass for them... im all for it.

Top Bottom