• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    thinking bout changing sights on couple of my handguns , or painting them .
    did a little checking on tru glo , hi viz & meprolight . the meprolight seems like the one i might go with . have found there 3 dot front & rear sights green/on green on amazon for around $80 shipped . i would not install cause i have not the proper tools , so i would have installation fee...price ??

how about the paint ? maybe not a bad way to go . would want something that would glow bright , not have to be charged real long , and possibly easy to apply .

any who has changed or painted there sights can weigh in on this ..... would be a help for me to make the right decision
    thanks in advance

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I'm kind of weird on handgun sights because I have several different ones on several different guns. And, I can or can't see them all in certain types of light. I'm one of those lucky 8% of people that has color deficiency issues and none of the sights I've used seems to work all the time.

That said, sights on handguns are overrated. We put a lot of unnecessary emphasis on having the right sights when, in truth, we can become very good shooters with no sights at all on a handgun. The key is practice.

Since we don't practice much, adding good sights helps. The ones you've listed above are all good sights and most places will charge you anywhere from $20 to $100 to install them. Typically you're better off buying sights off the internet and paying your local gun shop $ to install them. Another route you may want to go is buy some good nail polish and put a dab on your sights. Cheap and effective.

Personally, I'd suggest taking the $150 or so you'd spend on sights and buying ammo. Use that to train with your existing sights and you may find out you don't need new sights afterall!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What type of gun are we talking about? Do you carry this gun? And yes, I would expect to pay someone to install sights you purchase elsewhere. Often for the more common guns, like M&Ps or Glocks, if you buy sights at a shop, they will often install for free.

Personally I prefer Trijicon HD's or Ameriglo Spartan Tacticals these days. I have Meprolights on a few guns and have had no real issues with them, just not my preferred sights these days.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The sight themselves are preference. My observations from installing a bunch of sights on a bunch of guns is that you should pick what you want and you think will work for you. There is not 1 "right" solution.

As for installation it should most likely cost you between 20 and 100 bucks depending on what its going on and if the sights fit correctly to begin with.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I just ordered some, black rear and FO red front. These are going on a G17 that I wont be carrying.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Are you kidding me? Up to $100 to install sights? Learn to do it yourself. It's extremely easy. A monkey could do it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You (or whoever installed it) probably broke the tritium vile when installing the sight. That, or maybe it was a bad vile from the factory. All manufacturers (even the good ones) have bad parts slip through. Regardless, they're a good company and I'm sure they'd take a look at it to figure out what happened.

Meprolight on GP100, a couple thousand rounds, and no problems.
    Meprolight on xD, front sight lasted one range trip and went dim.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Absolutely possible, but that would be the first one I've broken installing :) It had to happen sometime.
    Thats why I tossed the GP100 stats in as well. Not saying they're bad, but I've had mixed results so far.
    To the best of my knowledge, Meprolight, XS, and Trijicon all use Trijicon tritium vials, so it all comes down to sight material, and I can't say the Meprolights seemed any better or worse than anyone else.
    In retrospect, I probably didn't help anyone out with that post :)
    You (or whoever installed it) probably broke the tritium vile when installing the sight. That, or maybe it was a bad vile from the factory. All manufacturers (even the good ones) have bad parts slip through. Regardless, they're a good company and I'm sure they'd take a look at it to figure out what happened.

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    shooting more frequently certainly helps anyone , this is obvious . it is believeable to say that a more easy to access reference point .... yes ! the gun sights , makes the task a smidgen easier. that is why the change of sights is done by numerous folks. AND if they do carry some type of lumination for dimly lit shooting , so much the better. my questions falls under the heading of " which ones " more than " do i need to change the sights at all.
    one gun would be a carry gun in certain times , the other not so much . just my preference to put he new sights on the 2nd gun also. but i do not believe i would fork over as much as the sights are worth for installation .

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The reason I asked about what gun, is that some are easier to change than others. Most shops have a Glock or S&W M&P armorer on site and will install for free if you buy them there. You can also buy a rear sight pusher if you are going to be doing a number of installs.

Now, if you are talking revolver, or 1911, etc, you may be getting in to needing a gunsmith.

We need some more info on what gun you are placing them on to give you a proper idea/estimate on cost to install.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I'm a fan of xs big dot sights on a carry gun. fast and accurate within common engagement ranges. With practice they can be accurate at distance as well. On standard configuration sights I like a little more open space.....a wider rear notch or narrower front post.

Top Bottom