Guns from "big box stores", Rural King, Big R, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I purchased a Rem 887 Nitro Mag Tactical from Wally World and called Rem to tell them the front site was broke, they sent me a new one no problemo. I ordered a Marlin 1895CB through them also since at the time they were the only LGS. No issues, there either. I think the story has achieved mythical proportions based on LGSs that don't want to compete.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    :n00b:I don't know, maybe to sell mass amounts of their products to customers who have money and want to buy?

But those stores are also the same stores who pull their guns and ammo after tragedies, who don't support the industry in any way and who don't care besides making money. At least LGSs most of the time hire people who actually shoot and guns are a passion or hobby, who possibly know how to work on guns or at least fix simple mechanical issues.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I've been told the exact same story at several gun shops as well. One LGS even told me that if you look, there will be a "Walmart" or "Big R", etc. stamped on the gun somewhere. ;)

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    But those stores are also the same stores who pull their guns and ammo after tragedies, who don't support the industry in any way and who don't care besides making money. At least LGSs most of the time hire people who actually shoot and guns are a passion or hobby, who possibly know how to work on guns or at least fix simple mechanical issues.

The only " big box" stores I know that have done this are K Mart and Dick's. As far as people they employ who know guns, that depends where you go. I have been in many local gun shops that have people who know very little about ther products and some big box store who have people who do know their guns. Don't lump them altogether my friend.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The only " big box" stores I know that have done this are K Mart and Dick's. As far as people they employ who know guns, that depends where you go. I have been in many local gun shops that have people who know very little about ther products and some big box store who have people who do know their guns. Don't lump them altogether my friend.

Only box store I ever been to who where most employees knew something....was Galyans.

And true, not everyone at the LGS knows a lot, and I'm sure every once in a while you'll find one at a larger store who actually knows.

Anyway, this is my point. Ron White had a joke many years ago, and I'm paraphrasing here; "Sears.....a trusted name in the automotive industry", that was the joke, because even though they have an automotive garage, you don't go there to have your car worked on. It's like going to a steak place and ordering sea food or pasta, going to a sea food place and ordering a salad. I go to Rural King to buy feed, seed, tillers, etc. I go to Wal Mart to see people in stretchy pants who don't need to be in them, hear screaming, buy cheap clothes, etc. I have not, and will not, go there for the purpose of purchasing a firearm, having a firearm worked on, hell even having a scope mounted to one (too many times I've seen Gander Mountain scope mountings, either the scope is backwards or the scope is 90 degrees rotated from where it should be).

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    In 2012, was searching for a Mossberg 500-12 ga. LGS pricing around $400, WallyMart: $225. Cut the LGS price almost 50%. Who is gouging whom? It loads, shoots, repeats for over 300rds already. Nothing different except I bought ammo there, a case, cleaning kit. Still under LGS. Also bought a Henry 22 lever with similar research/results.
    Shop around before the LGS hoses you down.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yrs ago the rumor was K mart got Big Green's less than ideal RKW application items.
    Saw enough dimpled shiny stocks to convince me.
    But these were aesthetic issues, not those of function.

I could see sending less than perfect looking stuff to a mass merchant. Might justify the discount (if they sold them at such).

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Big box stores can order special setups the same way davidson's does etc... There has been many Wal-Mart special edition rifles Ruger 10/22 comes to mind. Cabela's and Dicks also come to mind.

Top Bottom