Gunsmithing: Bought some new tooling today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Couldnt get the seller down to where i wanted him on the lathe. It looks promising but w/out running and not knowing HP there is some work needs to go into it. Less than 400 dollars into the machine and it can probably be brought back to its Tool Room condition that it was sold as.

Since he wouldnt go low enough, i just bundled. I got ALL of the below for 1,090 DELIVERED!!!

Now, to get turning on some stuff so i can see what all needs worked on on this lathe.

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

I also got 6 foot lengts of 2" OD cold rolled steel

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the lathe is a South Bend Model 8113C w/ taper attachment, 3 jaw, 4 jaw chucks. It used to be a tool room lathe which means it probably never saw production use. Has some excessive backlash in the crosslide i will need to figure out, but other than that it seems to be near perfect for a lathe of its age, and is regarded as one of the best gunsmithing lathes out there.

Modern techiques may not work so well, but the old fashioned ones that have worked for over a century will.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Has some excessive backlash in the crosslide i will need to figure out,
    I'm not an expert on the old Southbend's, but there is most likely an adjustment to take that back lash out of the cross-slide. The tighter you get it the harder it will be to crank the cross-slide, so if you want an easy moving cross slide, you're likely not going to be able to get all the backlash out.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Has some excessive backlash in the crosslide i will need to figure out,QUOTE]

There used to be someone on ebay selling new crossfeed nuts for those, or you could try South Bend Lathes - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

Looks like a pretty good deal to me even if it needs a little work. The old South Bends are good lathes and as long as the spindle bearings are good and the bed not badly worn, are capable of very accurate work. I've got a mid 40s vintage model B, similar to yours but with change gears instead of your gearbox. I also got rid of the original step pully drive and replaced it with a variable speed 90vdc motor. Congrats and good luck with your new toy/tool, looking forward to its first contribution to our new subforum effort.
    IMG_1778.jpg

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    tooling

The only way that you won't have backlash is to have a lathe with a ball screw . Backlash is always their in a normal nut & screw .Most learn to work with it , I suggest that you look at the HOME SHOP MACHINIST forum on the net Many questions can be addressed as to what you can do with gun work and how to do it.

Top Bottom