• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superman63086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Franklin, IN
    Ok so I have a few questions regarding my Glock 17 3rd Gen and what can be done or has been done and if anyone is willing to walk me through the process or at least let me watch them do it.

1st: Can a Gen4 frame fit with a Gen3 slide and barrel?

2nd: Can I modify the Glock 17 to allow for left-handed slide release and mag release (from the 3rd gen frame)?

If no go on both do any Glocksmiths have suggestions.

(This thread will help support the formation of a Gunsmithing subforum.)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Ok so I have a few questions regarding my Glock 17 3rd Gen and what can be done or has been done and if anyone is willing to walk me through the process or at least let me watch them do it.

1st: Can a Gen4 frame fit with a Gen3 slide and barrel?

2nd: Can I modify the Glock 17 to allow for left-handed slide release and mag release (from the 3rd gen frame)?

If no go on both do any Glocksmiths have suggestions.

(This thread will help support the formation of a Gunsmithing subforum.)
    I hate to say this but a lot of lefties learn to work with the Glock, if you can't get the hang of it getting an M&P is probably the most cost effective way to go.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    For the left handed mag release get a gen4. Nothing that I know of to fix the slide release being on the wrong side, one solution would be to train yourself to start using the power stroke method.(eliminates the use of the slide release)

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I'm a lefty and use my trigger finger to manipulate the mag. release and the slide stop. This is something I have always done, it's second nature and it builds up strength in that finger.

superman63086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Franklin, IN
    Ok Ok, I get it. The message is just DEAL. However the question still remains the same. Can either of them be done? Im just interested in answers. I found a little info on the swap and heard some negative things but can it be worked around?
    Can you actually put a slide release on the left side without interfering with anything?

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Just MHO, but given a pistolsmith with sufficient ingenuity (and cubic yards of cash) almost anything is possible. Just don't expect there to be a solution that's even remotely cost-effective.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You will notice that Glock calls it a "slide stop" not a slide release.. It was never designed to release the slide was my understanding from the armorers class I attended. That's the reason they didn't design the Gen 4 so you could move it to the other side.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's not an issue of "Just Deal". The gun as it is designed has a lot of advantages for lefties. Using your trigger finger to push the mag release means it can't be on the trigger causing a potentially unsafe situation. The position of the slide lock makes it easy to use with your trigger finger and leaves the other side open for the ultra high thumbs forward grip I'm sure your using if your concerning your self with performance. To put it another way, your gun is not holding you back. I kind of feel bad for the right handed people.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As a Southpaw you also don't have to shift your grip on the pistol to reach the slide stop or mag release with your trigger finger. What's not to like? Of course, several thousand iterations of any particular technique will make it seem effortless, no matter what the technique.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry Blackhawk but there are some "techniques" that really don't get better with practice. Go to a USPSA match and watch someone who has been a D class shooter for 15 or 20 years. They will be the first ones to try and suggest how you can improve your shooting.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I work firearms left handed by default. I find that a lot of what you think of as "right-handed" is actually advantageous to the left handed, but in any case, my philosophy has always been to train with what's available; learn the order of arms to whatever you're likely to pick up in a crisis. Don't expect it to be some left handed mutation. It turns out, left handedness is an obstacle mostly in your own mind. For example, work a bolt rifle left handed, but using your right to work the action; you'll find you have the advantage. I can clear a 10rd magazine on my Enfield in about 15 seconds with aimed shots. Try doing that right handed. Not gonna happen. Just learn them the way they are. You'll be ahead of the game.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    It's not an issue of "Just Deal". The gun as it is designed has a lot of advantages for lefties. Using your trigger finger to push the mag release means it can't be on the trigger causing a potentially unsafe situation. The position of the slide lock makes it easy to use with your trigger finger and leaves the other side open for the ultra high thumbs forward grip I'm sure your using if your concerning your self with performance. To put it another way, your gun is not holding you back. I kind of feel bad for the right handed people.

:+1: Lefties never ride the slide lock on a Glock ;)

Top Bottom