• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    What to you mean finish? Like inlet or refinish?

PM Indygunworks, he can either do it, or point you in the right direction. Mark Highsmith IMO is top notch at checkering and finish work.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    What to you mean finish? Like inlet or refinish?

PM Indygunworks, he can either do it, or point you in the right direction. Mark Highsmith IMO is top notch at checkering and finish work.

I want to buy a new stock for my winchester model 70 ulitmate shadow that has a blind magazine. There is a website that sells the one I want but they only come unfinished.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    It's pretty easy to put a finish on a stock. If it's a Drop In stock that simply needs a finish applied to the wood you can do it yourself. There are a ton of options on finish types available. Youtube has a number of vids on how to do it yourself and I think Midway also has a video or two. Where in Indy are you? I'm no expert but I've done a few stocks myself.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    It's pretty easy to put a finish on a stock. If it's a Drop In stock that simply needs a finish applied to the wood you can do it yourself. There are a ton of options on finish types available. Youtube has a number of vids on how to do it yourself and I think Midway also has a video or two. Where in Indy are you? I'm no expert but I've done a few stocks myself.

The stocks says there might be some modifacations needed. And a finish put on. I watched a acouple videos on it but just don't have any experience in it. I'm on the west side of indy on the outside of 465 by 38th street.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It sounds like the stock you want to buy is semi-inletted. Does the maker offer inletting and finishing services?

Quite a few do, you just need to send them your barreled action or rifle, have the old visa card ready, and wait.

Too bad you are so far away, Norm Meredith here in Ft Wayne is an exceptional rifle woodworker.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've done minor fitting but if it needs more than that I wouldn't risk it on someone else s gun. I might try it on one of my own but not yours. I'd be willing to help if it's minor fitting or the finishing part. I'm not very far from you at all, near Butler.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    It sounds like the stock you want to buy is semi-inletted. Does the maker offer inletting and finishing services?

Quite a few do, you just need to send them your barreled action or rifle, have the old visa card ready, and wait.

Too bad you are so far away, Norm Meredith here in Ft Wayne is an exceptional rifle woodworker.

here is the website and the stock.

BOYDS' CLASSIC WINCHESTER MODEL 70 NFP

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That doesn't look to bad, if I were working on my own gun. It's odd that they only list the NO Floor plate stocks as Unfinished. The finished stocks are only $30 more. I'd check with them and see if they provide a finished stock for your gun.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    That doesn't look to bad, if I were working on my own gun. It's odd that they only list the NO Floor plate stocks as Unfinished. The finished stocks are only $30 more. I'd check with them and see if they provide a finished stock for your gun.

i called and asked if the had any no floorplate ones in the finished versions and the didnt.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    OP, I have dealt with Boyd's for years and talked to them face to face at Camp Perry.

For $69 for a drop-in stock, I would jump on it. Chances are really good that your barreled action will indeed drop into it without any modifications by you.

For a finish, just sand it with 220 grit and finer. Then wipe on tung oil, several coats rubbed by steel wool between coats.

You will be happy.

Top Bottom