• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    A friend from church wants to go shooting with me at the range. I live in Indiana, and he lives in Ohio. The gun range is here in Indiana, so he will obviously come here to shoot. He has a S&W 44 that he will bring. My question is one of legally transporting a handgun. I have a license so it isn’t an issue for me. I am not sure of what the law says about him entering Indiana with a handgun without a license. If need be we can meet near the border and he can put it in my car and go to the range. Is he able to just keep it in his trunk and drive from his house directly to the range and be OK if he gets pulled over by the police and they learn of it? I just don’t want to get the guy in trouble, but I want to go shooting with the guy too. Any one have some knowledge he’s willing to share?

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Have him sell the gun to you before he gets here. After finding out that it's just not what you're looking for, Sell it back after the trip. you remain in possession of it at all times, it's now yours, so ISP can't give you crap.

some loopholes you can drive trucks through.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Have him sell the gun to you before he gets here. After finding out that it's just not what you're looking for, Sell it back after the trip. you remain in possession of it at all times, it's now yours, so ISP can't give you crap.

some loopholes you can drive trucks through.

He can't sell the gun across state lines without involving an FFL.

You could meet him at the border and transport the gun for him.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    If he has a Ohio permit, or one of the multistate permits, he is good to go. Indiana recognizes under law every other state's permits, as long as he abides by our rules, he's OK.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    If he has a Ohio permit, or one of the multistate permits, he is good to go. Indiana recognizes under law every other state's permits, as long as he abides by our rules, he's OK.

Sort of... one place that isn't true is the concealed vs. open. Indiana is not really an "open carry" state, our license simply doesn't specify, so we can carry however we want. HOWEVER if someone from out of state has a Concealed Carry Permit they MUST conceal because Indiana only recognizes their license/permit at face value. Just kind of a strange tidbit many don't know about (at least people who don't hang around here).

Also, if he was transporting through Indiana to a state where he could legally have it, he would be covered by federal law. However since Indiana is his destination, I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply.

staticstang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Also, if he was transporting through Indiana to a state where he could legally have it, he would be covered by federal law. However since Indiana is his destination, I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply.

Explain this one a little more. I was curious about this because I have traveled recently through several states(Indiana to Pennsylvania) and I didn't think I could carry; Due to Ohio not recognizing our LTCH.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Explain this one a little more. I was curious about this because I have traveled recently through several states(Indiana to Pennsylvania) and I didn't think I could carry; Due to Ohio not recognizing our LTCH.

This is discussed in the oft-ignored INGO FAQ:

How do I transport a gun across Illinois (or any other State where my Indiana License is not recognized)?
    The Federal Peaceable Journey Statute allows you to transport a handgun through intervening states provided you may legally do so at both the start and end of your journey. For example, you can legally pass through Illinois on your way to Iowa provided you are legal in both Indiana and Iowa. Anywhere you actually stop (gas, food, etc.) may be considered your "destination". That said, Illinois is extremely hostile to gun owners and you may not be able to assert your rights under the statute until after you've been arrested and charged. Avoid Chicago entirely. Here is the relevant statute:

Quote:
    Code of Federal Regulations

Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 44 > § 926a
    § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Release date: 20050803
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any
    political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
    lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any
    other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation
    the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily
    accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
    Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the
    glove compartment or console.

As always, laws are subject to change, so please seek competent legal advice before your journey.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/genera...hat_is_il.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_..._illinois.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_...s_weekend.html

Top Bottom