• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Anyone know the difference vetween some of the older version labeled SB2 receiver vs the new SB1-S44? I can't tell if the older version had a thicker barrel vs the newer model you see at Dicks for 259.00 or not. Seeing which one I should possibley ask for for Christmas.

I see a few SB2 version on gunbroker. I called H&R and they said they had no data on the SB2 since it was before they were bought.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    an SB2 receiver is a rifle receiver. The SB1 receiver is the shotgun receiver. SB1 receivers can only be fit with shotgun,muzzleloader, 44mag, and 357mag. SB2 Receivers can fit all rifles and most shotgun barrels (excluding the 10g and muzzleloaders.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Mine is an SB2 and is marked "357 and 44 magnum and shotgun barrels only" (or something close to that, I don't have the gun in front of me).

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Barrel markings have no bearing on the receiver. Frames marked .44 mag or .357 mag only are sb1 frames.

H&R should put ID stamps on all of their frames. Shooting high pressure rounds on sb1 frames can result in catastrophic failure.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Barrel markings have no bearing on the receiver. Frames marked .44 mag or .357 mag only are sb1 frames.

H&R should put ID stamps on all of their frames. Shooting high pressure rounds on sb1 frames can result in catastrophic failure.

I went and got my gun out of the safe to prove you wrong.....and found you are exactly right!

My barrel is marked SB2, but the receiver is not marked SB-anything. The receiver is where the 357 and 44 mag only markings are.

Thanks for setting this straight!

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    H&R doesn't sell current 44 mags on sb2 frames, but you can buy any rifle on sb2 and send it in to have a 44 mag accessory barrel fitted.

I have both .308 and .357 Handis and the barrels will interchange and lock up tight, but sometimes a little fitting work is required with a different barrel.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    • Additional barrels may be added to firearms of our manufacture since 1987 only, with a serial number that begins with N, H or CB. We do not install additional barrels on any other manufacturer’s firearms.
    • Additional barrels will be fitted to the proper frame if the frame passes a detailed inspection. This inspection is performed by the repairman at the time the frame is received.
    • Rifle barrels may be added to firearms manufactured since 1999 and only to frames (SB-2) that originated as a rifle, if frame passes inspection.
    • Rifle frames (SB-2) newer than 1999 may be fitted with additional rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader barrels, if frame passes inspection.
    • All shotgun frames (SB-1) and rifle frames (SB-2) produced between 1987 and 1999 may be fitted with additional shotgun and muzzleloader barrels only, if frame passes inspection.
    • Muzzleloader frames can only be re-fitted with muzzleloader barrels only.
    • Rimfire frames (SS-1) can only be fitted with rimfire calibers.
    • 10 gauge shotguns and the 12 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter with the heavy rifled barrel can only be fitted with other 10 gauge or 12 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter barrels only.
    • We do not sell additional barrels outright. All barrels must be factory fitted.
    • We do not sell barrel blanks or do custom calibers/barrel lengths/finishes/sights.
    • Additional barrels are available as additional barrels only. We will not exchange barrels for existing barrels on shotguns and rifles, as it will change the model.
    • In order to obtain an additional barrel(s), the stock, forend and frame (receiver) must be sent to us so that they may be properly

A little bit from the H&R sight. My gun was like new when I got it from the origional owner. Must be old stock I am thinking. I am not sure. I contacted H&R to see what frame I have as my barrel stated .44 magnum model SB2. It was bone stock when I got it. They stated it was a model SB2 with an SB2 frame. It does not have the stamp stating .357 0r 44 magnum only on it. The contact may have been mistaken as they said that it could use the other barrels including rifle barrels if it passed their inspection. I am not to concerned about it as I would rather just pick up another rifle and have it ready to go for a few more bucks. Very interesting thread though. Sad when you dont even know if you can trust thier customer service to know what they are talking about.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Anyone ever see a .44 mag H&R with a wood stock? I wonder if i would have to buy teh 20 gauge ultra slug and send it off to get the .44 mag barrel to get wood

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    • Additional barrels may be added to firearms of our manufacture since 1987 only, with a serial number that begins with N, H or CB. We do not install additional barrels on any other manufacturer’s firearms.
    • Additional barrels will be fitted to the proper frame if the frame passes a detailed inspection. This inspection is performed by the repairman at the time the frame is received.
    • Rifle barrels may be added to firearms manufactured since 1999 and only to frames (SB-2) that originated as a rifle, if frame passes inspection.
    • Rifle frames (SB-2) newer than 1999 may be fitted with additional rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader barrels, if frame passes inspection.
    • All shotgun frames (SB-1) and rifle frames (SB-2) produced between 1987 and 1999 may be fitted with additional shotgun and muzzleloader barrels only, if frame passes inspection.
    • Muzzleloader frames can only be re-fitted with muzzleloader barrels only.
    • Rimfire frames (SS-1) can only be fitted with rimfire calibers.
    • 10 gauge shotguns and the 12 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter with the heavy rifled barrel can only be fitted with other 10 gauge or 12 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter barrels only.
    • We do not sell additional barrels outright. All barrels must be factory fitted.
    • We do not sell barrel blanks or do custom calibers/barrel lengths/finishes/sights.
    • Additional barrels are available as additional barrels only. We will not exchange barrels for existing barrels on shotguns and rifles, as it will change the model.
    • In order to obtain an additional barrel(s), the stock, forend and frame (receiver) must be sent to us so that they may be properly

A little bit from the H&R sight. My gun was like new when I got it from the origional owner. Must be old stock I am thinking. I am not sure. I contacted H&R to see what frame I have as my barrel stated .44 magnum model SB2. It was bone stock when I got it. They stated it was a model SB2 with an SB2 frame. It does not have the stamp stating .357 0r 44 magnum only on it. The contact may have been mistaken as they said that it could use the other barrels including rifle barrels if it passed their inspection. I am not to concerned about it as I would rather just pick up another rifle and have it ready to go for a few more bucks. Very interesting thread though. Sad when you dont even know if you can trust thier customer service to know what they are talking about.

That is a Remington brand for you these days.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    uggg..i was at Dicks today. They had one and it was finished nice...found its way into my explorer. It has a CAC serial so its the SB1 frame. If I want I can get a 20 ga barrel down the road. You know you have OCD when you buy a gun with zero intention of using unil 2012 season in 2011.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    uggg..i was at Dicks today. They had one and it was finished nice...found its way into my explorer. It has a CAC serial so its the SB1 frame. If I want I can get a 20 ga barrel down the road. You know you have OCD when you buy a gun with zero intention of using unil 2012 season in 2011.

:rockwoot:

Top Bottom