• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So the other day somehow me and my girlfriend got into a discussion about guns and such, and she stated that her mom hated the NRA, mainly because of the FAR right-wing lunatics that give everyone a bad name.

We started talking Constitutional rights, as she made a statement something along the lines of "certain guns have no practical purpose so why should people be able to own them?", and I made a comment along the lines of the 2nd Amendmant guarantees our rights... Then she said...

Wait for it...

"Well, the Constitution is just more like guidelines anyway..."

Full Stop. :n00b:

as the joke says... "And that's when the fight started..."

In the end she apologized for spouting off about subjects she hadn't actually researched herself, and we ended up having a pretty decent discussion. I don't think I completely changed her mind about the right to own NFA items, but I think her viewpoint changed a bit.

But I was about to seriously start re-thinking things between us.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Politics, religion and core values are always things to research in a potential mate before ringing that babe in. If you can't get along now, how miserable will you be later in life when she starts making you wear slacks instead of jeans, makes you sell the guns (under threat of divorce) and begins rationing YOU money for lunch every day? :D

Keep in mind, constitutional analysis isn't a deal breaker, but potentially her view on the constitution is. If they cannot succinctly defend their view or base it on pure gibberish (such as the guideline comment), seriously rethink it and chalk the loss up to "deviated value system" in the mental relationship break up paperwork. :(

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    me and my girlfriend got into a discussion

This never ends well.

The lady that I'm seeing is a school psychologist. I asked her if she had ever been shooting, she said "I've never even seen a real gun."

I asked if they made her nervous and she said.
    Wait for it

"Why, it's an inanimate object."

This saved me from an entire series of conversations that I was prepared for.
    In any case I'm glad things turned out well for you.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Like I said, we got a lot of things cleared up in the discussion that followed, so it wasn't as bad as it first appeared, and she admitted that she'd made comments on a subject she really knew nothing about because she hadn't actually studied or researched it herself.

She has nothing against guns in general, and has no problem going out shooting or hunting, she just has the "fear" mindset about full-auto and "evil assault weapons" and such. I did some explaining of crime statistics and bullet size and power and such and she really seemed surprised because she hadn't actually done any looking for those statistics.'

She is really open-minded for the most part, and willing to consider different viewpoints and consider the facts and data presented.

I consider that a win, for now.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    my family are all liberal democrats, i am the only conservative. my wife's family are all liberal democrats also. My wife has been listening for 10 years now and agree's with me on most topics, she is still hesitant on guns.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My wife grew up in a family of hunters so she's cool there. She just complains that I spend too much on guns (not true). IMO if a person is simply irrationally anti gun, I believe they are liberals and avoid them.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    My wife used to be a fairly liberal person, including anti-gun.

She's not that way any more. My views have stayed constant, while hers have moved towards mine.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    My wife's dad has far more guns that I do, my wife had been shooting before me. Her only gun related "negative" is "do you really need another one?!?" Yes, yes I do.

But seriously, you need to know where everything stands before you go any further in a relationship. There are things that are deal-breakers, if only because of the fights they will cause down the line.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    about to start rethinking?

Think about this.
    Wait until you give her a ring. She'll stop being so polite.

As much as it chagrins me to admit it, for most women, this is absolutely true.

(And we need a little smilie expressing some shame. Since we don't have one, imagine what it would look like and pretend I put it in this post. That's the way I feel about the "average" American woman.)

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Advice:
    Take her shooting. If she doesn't like it think about running. Also, and please listen very very closely. Take a good look at how she was brought up. Especially her mother's way of handling marriage and kids. Doesn't matter if it is good or bad it is irrelevant. What is relevant is that your girlfriend will probably fall back and use this example in your MARRIAGE and the parenting of your CHILDREN. If you do not like the way her mother treats her father or the way she brought up your kids then RUN and save yourself and your future children some major heartache. My two cents.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Advice:
    Take her shooting. If she doesn't like it think about running. Also, and please listen very very closely. Take a good look at how she was brought up. Especially her mother's way of handling marriage and kids. Doesn't matter if it is good or bad it is irrelevant. What is relevant is that your girlfriend will probably fall back and use this example in your MARRIAGE and the parenting of your CHILDREN. If you do not like the way her mother treats her father or the way she brought up your kids then RUN and save yourself and your future children some major heartache. My two cents.

She has no problems shooting, and wants to go hunting with me, if we (me and dad) can find room in the camper for deer season and talk him into it, lol. (I think it's more he's never seen how she handles a gun and she and I haven't been together that long).

Her mother is more liberal, her father is more conservative, she (my girlfriend) owns guns, from her grandfather, and her father owns guns also, so guns in general aren't the issue. Her mother is a hoot, she's a great lady, I just don't agree with all her opinions, and her dad is great too, and I've not seen any problems with the way her mother raised her or her brother, and my girlfriend is a fantastic mother to her son. My girlfriend has been around guns more or less her entire life, just mainly hunting rifles and shotguns.

Ah, and for the record, neither of us wants anymore children (we both have one) and she has flatly stated she will NEVER be married again. So those are non-issues for now.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Ah, and for the record, neither of us wants anymore children (we both have one) and she has flatly stated she will NEVER be married again. So those are non-issues for now.

So. What you are saying is, its a traditional American relationship :)

I am lucky, my wife likes guns, she just thinks I might like them a little TOO much :)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I can understand someone arguing an opinion they know nothing at all about (happens all the time :whistle: ), her willingness to admit that she should do her own research is a plus, but...

thinking the Constitution is really just a guideline would give me SERIOUS pause. (I agree most of our elected officials seem to think that already, but thinking like a politician is NOT a point in her favor.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    In the end she apologized for spouting off about subjects she hadn't actually researched herself, and we ended up having a pretty decent discussion. I don't think I completely changed her mind about the right to own NFA items, but I think her viewpoint changed a bit.

But I was about to seriously start re-thinking things between us.

Ah, you started right in on NFA items? Since you're not married yet, this blunder can be forgiven. You need to learn one simple word: finesse.

My wife came from an seriously anti-gun and religious family. On the 1st or 2nd date, she saw my IWB and asked me about it. I took a much more round-a-bout path than you did.

I asked if she thought God created me, or at least my personal body.

Yes.

I asked if she thought I should attempt to prevent harm to my personal body.

Yes.

What if I get jumped by a huge thug downtown late at night?

Hmmm.

What if we are both out and two or more thugs jump us and are going to rape her? Should I stand idly by, or should I do everything in my power to prevent it?

Hmmm.

Shortly after, I sent a couple of links to good articles on women and firearms/defense. She's now an NRA member, and carries a 1911A1.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ah, you started right in on NFA items? Since you're not married yet, this blunder can be forgiven. You need to learn one simple word: finesse.

No, I actually didn't bring up the NFA stuff, she did, by mentioning "machine guns and other full-auto guns and silencers" as stuff that had to practical purpose for any non-military person to own.

Finesse wasn't really possible.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Myself and my wife agreed before we married that she thinks everything I do is dumb, and I think everything she does is dumb. We've been happily married for years now, and I'm still crazy about her. We don't strike up conversations with each other unless absolutely neccesary, like say, to tell the other one the house is on fire. Discussing things with women will only lead to trouble, trouble you may not realize for years, then one day, BOOM, she throws it at you. The more you keep your head down and your trap shut, the better off you'll be.:patriot:

Top Bottom