• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So I just recently got a pretty rad hammock and bug net thingy to go around it. it will mainly be used for camping in the HNF. I have decided to start carrying my 1911 in a drop leg holster while hiking/camping. But now im running into issue of where to I place my gun when is bed time.

Any one else hammock camp with a gun, and have some pointers?

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    I hammock camp and carry my sub compact .45 with me. However, I have a warbonnet blackbird hammock and it has a "shelf" on one side that I can put my gun and phone or other various items in. I like it a lot. Not sure if your hammock has a ridge line but you may be able to rig something up to hang from that if you have one. If not try and rig up a ridge line and see if you can hang something from that. Also, hammockforums.net is a good resource.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I have a Hennesy Safari but still a noob as I picked it up last fall and only got out a few times (3) before it got to cold. I have a ridge line and just bought a ridge line organizer from hammock gear I believe . Worked great for storing my stuff and added very little weight to my setup.
    Next purchase for me is going to be a quality under quilt.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I connected some paracord to the spot inside a Hennessy, where the anchor line ties in. A mini carabiner on the end of the cord allows me to tie a holstered pistol up into that space, which keeps it out of the sleeping space but still handy.

If that makes no sense I'l try to get a pic.

samo975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I will be quite honest. My wife and i camp all the time, but i haven't heard of hammock camping. Now i need to look into this more

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I thought of this same very thing and I have an ENO Double Hammock. It has the built-in stuff sack, so I could probably put my pistol in that at night.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I dunno, if you aren't getting nekkid to sleep, why not weave a belt and attack the holster above your head?

This thread made me lookup a homemade paracord hammock. Looks pretty simple, but requires a LOT of cord.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well, if you are serious about your safety, read up on the couple that was killed in their tent by a Grizzly. Even though they had a 12 gauge in their tent, it was useless. Once the bear knocked down the tent, it basically became a large drag bag filled with human flesh.

Imagine being dragged inside a bag in the dark and trying to find and then operate your weapon.

If I walk up and pop one rope on your hammock with a knife while you are asleep in it, what works? What doesn't? Especially if I pop the end by your head first so you are falling head first and hanging upside down.

I don't do hammocks but if I did I would probably sleep with a Kabar TDI Fanny sack on.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I thought of this same very thing and I have an ENO Double Hammock. It has the built-in stuff sack, so I could probably put my pistol in that at night.

I considered that, but there is no way, my 1911 is giong to fit in the stuff sack that is built into my hammock.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Well, if you are serious about your safety, read up on the couple that was killed in their tent by a Grizzly. Even though they had a 12 gauge in their tent, it was useless. Once the bear knocked down the tent, it basically became a large drag bag filled with human flesh.

Imagine being dragged inside a bag in the dark and trying to find and then operate your weapon.

If I walk up and pop one rope on your hammock with a knife while you are asleep in it, what works? What doesn't? Especially if I pop the end by your head first so you are falling head first and hanging upside down.

I don't do hammocks but if I did I would probably sleep with a Kabar TDI Fanny sack on.

Are grizzly bears a big concern in Hoosier National Forest? See, I don't like tents because I'm afraid a wooly mammoth might sit on it and crush me. :D

Top Bottom