• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My father and I were talking and he mentioned something that I'm curious about.Is there a "cool down" law in Indiana?In other words,when I purchase a handgun,is there any kind of waiting period,and if so,does having an LTCH have any effect on that time?It's been a while since my dad bought a gun so this could be antiquated, if so,can someone offer a history lesson for this young pup?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    No cool down, you pay for the pistol, fill out the paperwork, FFL calls it in. If you get an Okay from the ATF, you walk out with your gun. I have had it take as little as 15 minutes.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    My father and I were talking and he mentioned something that I'm curious about.Is there a "cool down" law in Indiana?In other words,when I purchase a handgun,is there any kind of waiting period,and if so,does having an LTCH have any effect on that time?It's been a while since my dad bought a gun so this could be antiquated, if so,can someone offer a history lesson for this young pup?

He's remember the "old" way in Indiana. You had the waiting period, 3 days as I recall, for a handgun, none for a long gun. But if you had a LTCH you didn't have to wait and could take it with you.

That changed with the NICS system. Now you take it with you if the FFL gets a "PROCEED" from NICS.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Years ago, there used to be a three day waiting period. I don't remember when that was stopped, but it was long before there were background checks on new purchases.

indyjack

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    i purchased a handgun about a month ago... they made me wait a week. as i understand it's completely random, but it happens sometimes.

bluestanger66

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Illinois has this cool down period. Very happy that Indiana does not have this, just takes about 15 minutes to get the background check completed

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    This was over 15 years ago, but I worked in a sporting goods department. It seems to me that there was some instances when there was a waiting period on handguns and 3 days rings a bell. I do not remember the specifics and I'm sure it has changed since then.

Top Bottom