• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so my first group of handloads shot about .5 inch group at 100. i was using h414 43gr and a 80 gr barnes bullet (243). my next load was the same except 44gr powder and it shot about a 1 inch group. oh well i think ill go back to 43 gr powder and play with my seating depth and see what happens. i may try to work up another load with some berger bullets i think they are called vdl.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Did you by chance review the OCW formula I posted earlier?
    Takes out a lot of trial and error

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Ah, yes. The first rule of handloading: hotter is not sweeter, more harder is not more accurate.

;)

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Just so you know, H414 and WW760 are the same powder and are at their best when using magnum primers. This powder is extremly susceptable to temperature/pressure changes. Your load of 44 grains is at the top of the charts and should be used with extreme caution in hot weather. 414/760 is an excellent choice for your application as long as you keep ambient temps in mind and adjust loads accordingly. 4350 and 4064 are also good choices for your application if you don't want to deal with the temp sensitivity or the mag primers.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just so you know, H414 and WW760 are the same powder and are at their best when using magnum primers. This powder is extremly susceptable to temperature/pressure changes. Your load of 44 grains is at the top of the charts and should be used with extreme caution in hot weather. 414/760 is an excellent choice for your application as long as you keep ambient temps in mind and adjust loads accordingly. 4350 and 4064 are also good choices for your application if you don't want to deal with the temp sensitivity or the mag primers.

no i didn't know all that, there is entirly to much stuff i dont know about all this. the charts i consulted said 45gr was the max load but i didn't know that about this powder being so subseptible to temp. i shot my first group when it was about 10 degrees outside, today its 45ish. mabye thats part of the problem with the ammo. im using remington large primers but they dont say magnum. sorry for all my ignorance on reloading you folks are the only reason im able to try reloading

thanks for the 1000th time

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Mr Newberry's writings are interesting and helpful if your goal is to develop an MOA load usable in multiple firearms. Those who look for accuracy beyond the average for a particular firearm find his theories interesting but not so helpful as he would have us believe.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so i got to wandering about weather the temp is what threw off my group today. so i shot some more of my first batch at 43 gr powder i shot a 3 shot group at 200 yds that was just shy of a inch. i think it was like.94 or close to that. so i think my gun really likes my first load lucky guess on that one. so if i stick with that is there a way to measure my lands so i can adjust my seating depth to tighten the group up some more. this spring my uncle goes to some small competition shoots to watch and im going to try and enter. i doubt i win but it should be a good time. at the small shoots he attends i think max range is 400 yds. im really looking forward to it but i dont really care for losing. actually im pretty sure ill lose i just dont want to get beat bad.

Top Bottom