• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbleger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    new to reloading rifle rounds. i have the dillon 550b. half of my reloads are getting stuck in the chamber. i have checked and measured and compared with store bought rounds and i cannot figure it out. help

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    sounds like you need a 223 small base die, I have the same problem with ammo shot in several different rifles, I tried 2 different brands of dies and then finally figure out that small base dies are the only way, If you get them resized you probably won't have to do it again if its in the same rifle.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Small-Base-Die-223/dp/B000N8LIOQ]Amazon.com: RCBS Small Base Die Set (.223 Rem): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I'm sure there are better prices but this will get you started

BTW, My ammo that has been sized in regular 223 dies fits in 1 of my 223 case gauges but not the other. So even a case gauge can fool you

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    new to reloading rifle rounds. i have the dillon 550b. half of my reloads are getting stuck in the chamber. i have checked and measured and compared with store bought rounds and i cannot figure it out. help

Take a reloading class at Profire. I think being new this would be your best option so that you can learn how to set up everything, and then what to look for while reloading.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Buy yourself a case gauge. They take the guess work out of resizing. Imo 223/5.56 is always been a little harder to get right without one.:twocents:

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Sizing die may be too high. Try adjusted down die till bottom of die touches shell holder when ram is at highest point. Then lower ram & adjust die down another 1/8-1/4 turn.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Sizing die may be too high. Try adjusted down die till bottom of die touches shell holder when ram is at highest point. Then lower ram & adjust die down another 1/8-1/4 turn.

This is the correct procedure but if your getting into a situration that SB is needed it still won't get it done.

and Like I posted I had 2 case gauges an Old wilson and a new dillon and If I remember right the dillon would find the tight bases and the wilson would pass it on

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    getting ready to buy a 223 die set im only using a bolt action would I need to go look for the small base die set?

The small base die was designed specifically for semi-automatic firearms. It aids in the rapid loading of each round into the chamber.

A standard sizing die will produce a round that will easily chamber in a bolt action rifle. The cartridge will also have a nice fit with little play. If you used a small base die there would be slightly more play in the fit. You don't want that for accuracy.

Top Bottom