• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    Tonight while talking to my father I casually asked what he thought about having a gun around for HD. Much to my surprise he said he's been thinking about getting a 12 gauge. My dad is a great guy, never owned a firearm for himself but bought me my first .22 when I was 12. So to say the least this surprised me. I am now wanting to get him a decent HD gun for his bday next month. Like I said my family aren't gun people so it would be strictly HD. What is everyone's suggestions? I am hoping to stay between $150-$250. Thanks for the input.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    That was my first thought sadclown when he mentioned he wanted a shotgun. I also mentioned I had an extra 40 cal they could have but he seemed to be more interested in the shotgun. My thought was the 40 might be easier for my mother to handle if my dad wasn't around. And BTW I only mentioned him being a great dad due to some people on here probably questioning the fact that he isn't a gun guy and because he actually is great guy even though he doesn't own a gun. Hard to believe isn't it....

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    shotgun is easier for women to handle than the recoil of a .40. especially if the shotgun has a buttstock and not a pistol grip.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Mossberg Maverick

I agree.
    Maverick 88 is probably the best shotgun you can get new for your price range.

Maverick88_Security.gif

20" barrel, 8 shot 220/250 USD maybe even less depending where you shop and if you get it used.
    Mossberg is a proven name.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I'm going to suggest that since your dad isn't a "gun guy" and the shotgun may be used by your mother that you skip the 12 gauge. and look for a .20 gauge. For HD a .20 gauge is more than adequate with a lot less recoil. It will be more comfortable for both your parents to learn to shoot it and they won't be put off as much by the recoil.

As far as which one to get, I like the Mossberg 500 , (I like the position of the safety and slide release) followed by a Remington 870. I realize both are a tad higher than you want to go, (about $350) and there are a lot of good shotguns in your price range so again my only real advise is to get a .20 gauge.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    +1 for the Maverick. I'd stick with the 12 gauge due to ammo selection. Start them off with reduced recoil loads and work them up to full power. You can get them a Knoxx stock (CompStock Shotgun Stock - BLACKHAWK! or http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1158,165.htm) for Christmas if the reduced recoil loads are still too much. Also make sure they know that a shotgun does not send a cone of death that will destroy any bad guy in the room; it must be aimed. At typical HD ranges the shot pattern will be just a couple inches in diameter. That leaves lots of room to miss if using a spray & pray method.

ETA: Bud's has both the 18" 5+1 & and the 20" 7+1 for $206 shipped. Add in FFL transfer and you will have enough left over to buy their first box of shells.

Last edited:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    My suggestion is that you take some quality time and say "Happy Birthday dad we are going shopping for a shotgun today" Let him pick up a 20 gauge and a 12 ga. Try their handling and such. Then buy what he wants, pick up some buckshot and some cheap birshot ammo, go to the range, shoot the gun and let him get familiar with it. As far as guns I like the Remington 870, Ithaca, and Winchester best and would prefer one of them used over the maverick and mossberg lines. Nothing wrong with either of those brands, I just neverwarmed up to the ones I shot.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    My suggestion is that you take some quality time and say "Happy Birthday dad we are going shopping for a shotgun today" Let him pick up a 20 gauge and a 12 ga. Try their handling and such. Then buy what he wants, pick up some buckshot and some cheap birshot ammo, go to the range, shoot the gun and let him get familiar with it. As far as guns I like the Remington 870, Ithaca, and Winchester best and would prefer one of them used over the maverick and mossberg lines. Nothing wrong with either of those brands, I just neverwarmed up to the ones I shot.

+1 The best suggestion yet.

Top Bottom