• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Damonte

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    My wife and I are gearing up for getting more active in range shooting, primarily indoor. With the frequency that we plan to visit the range, plus other factors (which should be obvious), we're looking at getting our own hearing and eye protection.

After looking in retail stores and online, I have tentatively settled on the following two items:

$19.99 - Peltor 97069 President Hearing Protector

$7.66 - SSI Plastic Frame Shooting Glasses with Clear Lens

We're going to be shooting handguns, so the bulk of the Peldor's don't bother me. The SSI's reportedly have soft temples to work well with over the head hearing protection.

So what I'm looking for are criticisms of the items I've tentatively settled on and/or suggestions of alternatives. Cheers and thanks!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Get electronic earmuffs. Trust me. When you finally get sick of not being able to hear the person next to you, you'll end up buying them anyway and you'll kick yourself for waiting so long. Sure, they cost more (starting at around $70), but they are worth every penny.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm really interested in their CDI models. I wish there was a dealer close enough for me to try them on. There's somethign about having good eye protection on all the time (not just at the range) that I like.

It's tough trying to find safety glasses that fit over my eyeglasses, so I also like to try them on first. Those ESS Suppressor ones look good, though. I like the design that fits comfortably under earmuffs.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Definitely go with electronic muffs. One thing is that they have lower dB protection than basic muffs. I double up and use simple earplugs + the electronic muffs. Once you damage your hearing, it isn't coming back, so get the best protection you can.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's tough trying to find safety glasses that fit over my eyeglasses, so I also like to try them on first. Those ESS Suppressor ones look good, though. I like the design that fits comfortably under earmuffs.

Right there with you...

Which is why my next pair will have prescription inserts in them.

Preferably with interchangeable lenses, too, so I can use them as sunglasses.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Definitely go with electronic muffs. One thing is that they have lower dB protection than basic muffs. I double up and use simple earplugs + the electronic muffs. Once you damage your hearing, it isn't coming back, so get the best protection you can.

I do the same thing as you do, I double up unless I am by myself and shooting .22 and then I just use the ear plugs. Personally I don't care for the electronic earmuffs.

Top Bottom