• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been told you can't get 9mm in +P above 115 (124 or whatever). Hearing they can only be hand loaded?

I had 115 grain hi-shok's and just got some 115 grain Hornady critical defense rounds.... would really prefer the heavier grain and in +P. It seems to get the nastier rounds my only real option is the 1500 (had to get my .45 T series there.

Trying to find the most lethal hardest hitting rounds I can get (self defense).

I know one guy on here loads the heavy grain +P on here and sells them... got some prices from him PM'd him to make an order and never heard back.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have been told you can't get 9mm in +P above 115 (124 or whatever). Hearing they can only be hand loaded?

I had 115 grain hi-shok's and just got some 115 grain Hornady critical defense rounds.... would really prefer the heavier grain and in +P. It seems to get the nastier rounds my only real option is the 1500 (had to get my .45 T series there.

I know one guy on here loads the heavy grain +P on here and sells them... got some prices from him PM'd him to make an order and never heard back.

You were told wrong in the sense they do manufacture +p in 147 gr weights. I personally am looking at some Federal HST's right now in 147 gr +P. Gold Dot would be another option. Also, I think Winchester has a premium loading in the same.

Now, maybe your source met its hard to find. My usual source is AmmoToGo and they are out of it at the moment.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.
    Buy a 357 Sig or 10mm if you want something hard hitting.

+p is only good for about 50-70 fps in the same loading.
    LE - Tactical HST
    1150 v. 1200 for the 124s, 1000 v 1050 for thee 147s.

You can get 50 extra Fps with the same ammo just by shooting a full size in place of a compact.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.
    Buy a 357 Sig or 10mm if you want something hard hitting.

+p is only good for about 50-70 fps in the same loading.
    LE - Tactical HST
    1150 v. 1200 for the 124s, 1000 v 1050 for thee 147s.

You can get 50 extra Fps with the same ammo just by shooting a full size in place of a compact.

I have 230 grain +P T series in my full size 45. Have a Sub Compact that I want the 9mm ammo for....

I was also told that these don't exist.........

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Winchester Ranger Talon 124gr. +P HP Ammo [RA9124TP] - $29.95

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    According to this chart the Buffalo bore and the Double tap 147 gn ammo would reach major power factor for IPSC/USPSA. Way back years ago when I used to shoot IPSC with 9mm I tried like hell to load ammo that would reach major power factor and could never quite get there, I mean there is only so much room in the case for powder ya know, and the pressures were border lined on safe. I am not sure how these company's have pulled this off unless there have been vast improvement in propellents or their numbers are inflated?

9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    According to this chart the Buffalo bore and the Double tap 147 gn ammo would reach major power factor for IPSC/USPSA. Way back years ago when I used to shoot IPSC with 9mm I tried like hell to load ammo that would reach major power factor and could never quite get there, I mean there is only so much room in the case for powder ya know, and the pressures were border lined on safe. I am not sure how these company's have pulled this off unless there have been vast improvement in propellents or their numbers are inflated?

9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

Thanks for the link... I have talked to one guy that said he loads even hotter then +P+ and has never had any problems......

I look for every little bit I can get... if I can get another 50fps and still be reliable then I will go for it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And don't forget the Gold Dot offerings loaded specifically for short barrels... Being they are loaded with faster burning powders, their velocities can really close up that advantage you think you would be getting with +P or +P+ in terms of velocity, not to mention much less muzzle flash.

For SD ammo, I made choice to go with a modern design that I could buy in the LE packaged 50 round boxes. ( so much cheaper than the more common 20 rd boxes) Actually, it was from ammo to go and I bought a 500 rd case. This allowed for more function testing, more practice with actual carry ammo, and will allow me to freshen up my carry ammo more often before I would have to buy more. Also, it ensures me it will all be from the same lot. IMO, this gives me more confidence than a possible few additional FPS gain....

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    In 9mm I prefer the 124 grain +Ps. I like the Gold Dots but prefer the Federal HSTs...(but only slightly). I think the 9mm for SD is best in slightly lighter than standard (115 grain) or standard weight (124) rather than the heavier than standard (147). In fact I don't think ANY calibers are at their best (reliable expanders) at anything heavier than the standard (original) weight of their caliber....though a few do BEST at lighter than standard. One example of that is the .357 Magnum of which the 125s and 110s are WAY better for SD than the original weight of 158.

I've never understood someone advocating the heavier and slower than standard 147 grain for 9mm.

The last several boxes of SD ammo I bought from Kyle's Gunshop, Inc. and was very pleased (2-4 day turn around from the time I placed the order!).

Last edited:

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I still do not understand the stir over + P ammo.

For me it's simple - handguns are crappy man-stoppers. Expanded hollow points HELP. Velocity aids expansion...so I want as much velocity as me and my gun can handle. Coming form a background of mostly shooting .357 Magnum and .45s (and a .44 Magnum or two) the 9mm has pretty much ZERO felt recoil to me...with +P rounds it's still SUPER LIGHT in the recoil department. So I see no down side with 9MM +P.

Similarly the .38 Special is another very lightly recoiling round. The .38 Special standard velocity is what I would call ANEMIC. It's pitifully slow and not a great performer. +P HELPS but it's still rather pathetic...which is why I switched to .357 Magnum but I digress. If I were to carry a .38 again (which I would not) I would do my damnedest to locate (it's not EASY) some of the old FBI load (158 grain +P lead hollow-points). The soft lead in these bullets expand even from crappy .38 +P subsonic speeds.

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Simple would be stepping up to a 40, or if you just want the very best, a 10mm in full house loads. +p is not the only option when you feel a caliber is insufficient for your needs. If the standard factory loads dont muster up for you, there is always the 45 super, or 460 Rowland. Maybe digging up an old 44 automag will meet your criteria for a solid defensive handgun.
    Hitting the intended target is much more important than knocking it down with muzzle blast. Police and others have lived through many fire fights with much less gun than a 460 weatherby.
    +p is a small step up in a caliber, but at a cost of weapon life. If someone feels the trade off is worth it, and can control the added recoil, then go for it. For those that dont go that route, we will just have to trust that the ammunition manufactures that have decades of experience, and millions of dollars in research have made the best that current technology can offer.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Well, I find the 9mm+P (as shot from my 3.8 compact XDm) MUCH easier to hit with than:

.44 Magnum
    .45 Colt
    .45 ACP
    .357 Magnum
    .38 Special (from 5-shot steel framed snub)
    .38 Special +P (from 5-Shot steel framed snub)
    .40 S & W

So where is the downside?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne

When I got my new Sig P290 I started testing ammo and ended up using the Winchester Bonded PDX1 147 gr JHP. They advertise 1000 fps with 326 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle. They claim expansion is 1.5 times the original diameter with the jacked bonded to the lead core for maximum penetration and retained weight.

I settled on these because they fed and fired flawlessly in the P290. I had problems with other brands and bullet weights. The P290 is my backup. I carry the 230 gr Gold Dots in my HK45C.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Well, I find the 9mm+P (as shot from my 3.8 compact XDm) MUCH easier to hit with than:

.44 Magnum
    .45 Colt
    .45 ACP
    .357 Magnum
    .38 Special (from 5-shot steel framed snub)
    .38 Special +P (from 5-Shot steel framed snub)
    .40 S & W

So where is the downside?

Not really a downside, if you are happy with it, just +p is not always the best option. My personal favorite 9mm load is the Federal Hi-Shok +P+ load in my Glock, and I have no issue with its accuracy or recovery time for follow up shot placement. My wife, on the other hand, finds them a little too much, and prefers the standard pressure 9mm loads for her carry pistol.

Top Bottom