• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I've just started loading .357 and after sizing, the cases have a slight buldge near the rim. It is like the cases aren't getting sized all the way. They chamber fine in my pistol but I don't like the looks of it. I have the die set so it is just kissing the shell holder.... I haven't had this problem with 9mm, .45acp, or .223. Is this something I shouldn't worry about? If anybody can give me some insite on this it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You're fine. Most full length sizing dies size the straight walls of a cartridge to within 1/8" or so from the bottom of the rim. The shell holder has to hold onto something.

This is a common thing, light bulge around the base - don't worry about it unless it makes chambering the round difficult. If it does, then you've got other problems.

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Roller Sizing!

This is the only method to get the "bulge" above the rim or extractor groove removed. If this situation annoys you, ship me the sand I will Roller Size them for you!! You'll just have shipping charges both ways!!

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    The diameter of your revolvers chambers are larger than the base diameter of your .357 cases. American made cartridge cases are notorious for being "undersized" in base diameter. This results in the expansion you see at the base of your cases near the rim when the cartridge is fired.

The reloading manuals have the base diameter at .379 for the .357, the Remington .357 cartridge case below is .373 and undersized "BUT" still within manufacturing plus or minus tolerances. (meaning our cases run on the small side and what you see is normal)

357jpg.jpg

If you have carbide dies and see the reverse of this or the case pushed inward at the base you have your carbide dies set too low and you will end up with case head separations.

Top Bottom