• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    Hey all, my father and I are looking to get into the AR market. There are so many different ones out there how do we know what is good for us? I do know we want to stay shy of $1000 and will use it for the range and varmint hunting. We have heard many different things from different shop owners and friends say that one shoots better than the other, one is more accurate etc. How much truth is into that. I was looking at a used Bushmaster and a friend told me to stay away from Bushmaster as they are not very accurate and wont shoot tight groups at 100 yards. What are all your guys/gals experiences? Thanks.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    My dad has two Bushmasters. The one that he shoots most often shoots pretty tight groups at about that range. I haven't seen him shoot the other one yet.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Are you most interested in something similar to this:

VARMINT.jpg

Or this?

AR-M4-D.jpg

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    It really depends on what you want out of the gun. Do you want a lightweight rifle that looks like an M4? Or are you really looking for a varmint gun with a heavier barrel good for more accurate shooting? You could always build an AR with the parts of your choice.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    RRA

Rock River Arms 24" heavy varmint. Buy the complete upper and the lower parts kit separately. then buy the lower rcvr. you'll save some $ that way. And you can get an adjustable stock and Ergo grip if you have a mind to. I recommend a splurge on the 2 stage RRA trigger group. Putting the lower together is a piece of cake. Mine shoots 55 gr hornadys into 5/8" at 100.

jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    A lo al shop has a barely used Bushmaster varmit ar like the picture posted above. He has it listed for $899 w/out scope. Said less than 100 rounds through. I like it but want to be able to put tactical gear on it such as lights, lasers, ext. Can you do that with that type?:twocents::);)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I like it but want to be able to put tactical gear on it such as lights, lasers, ext. Can you do that with that type?:twocents::);)

You can, but you start to defeat the purpose of the rifle, and some of its positive features will quickly become negatives.

A varmint-type AR typically has a 20"+ heavy bull barrel, smooth free-float forend, non-adjustable stock, and lighter and/or adjustable trigger. Those features help the rifle with its intended purpose by making it easier to shoot accurately, often times in prone or on a bench.

However, try taking a close-quarters carbine course with one and you'll quickly figure out why those guys prefer short lightweight barrels, railed forends, adjustable stocks, and single-stage mil-spec triggers.

My advice would be to find your purpose, and build your rifle to fit those needs. As Pat Rogers would say "Let the mission drive the gear train".

jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    Yeah, I like the varmit type. How can I add a light and things to shoot coyote at night? Also, is 899 a good price for used Bushmaster like the pic above? Thanks. I dont care to do any tactical courses now. Just want to shoot targets and varmints!

Top Bottom