• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm thinking of getting a 40 caliber semiauto for my wife for carrying in her purse, something below $500, she has been carrying a S&W 637. She wants something compact. Any idea or suggestion is appreciated.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My main suggestion is that she pick it out and make the decision since it will be her gun. It needs to be something she is comfortable with and confident with. Have her handle as many as possible and if possible shoot as many too, then have her decide what she likes best. Just my :twocents:

G27, Kahr, XDsc, Taurus 740slim are a few that are at $500 and below to get a start at looking around.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    You will get a ton or recommendations here. I would highly recommend you have her fire several different .40 S&W pistols. Many women, no disrespect meant here, do not like to recoil associated with the .40 S&W. My personal recommendation if it is to be carried in a purse in a manual safety. Like I said that is what I personally like to see because of the movement in and out of the purse. If she trains with the safety it should be no problem. Just my .02

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I will help, Glock 27, XD Subcompact, S&W M&P, SIG 250 subcompact, Ruger SR40 sc, and the list will continue to make it more confusing. I would stick with the revolver, but if you want a bottom feeder, look at the S&W M&P

I see several faster typist than me.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Just for reference ... does she have some complaint with the 637? I might suggest a 642 over a 637, but other than that, it's a pretty good purse gun.

A lot of people have difficulty with a DAO revolver, trigger pull is usually pretty heavy and it takes a lot of practice to overcome it, but I also wouldn't recommend carrying a unholstered, exposed hammer gun loose in a purse.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Like others have said, make sure she shoots a few different .40 S&W pistols first. My wife does NOT like the somewhat "snappy" recoil, which will be worse in a compact.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    There is a nice little XD40 sub-compact in the for sale section by member TVon. He wants $400.00 for it. Check it out.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You will get a ton or recommendations here. I would highly recommend you have her fire several different .40 S&W pistols. Many women, no disrespect meant here, do not like to recoil associated with the .40 S&W. My personal recommendation if it is to be carried in a purse in a manual safety. Like I said that is what I personally like to see because of the movement in and out of the purse. If she trains with the safety it should be no problem. Just my .02

I'd agree... I would suggest having her shoot a couple of compact .40s before settling on it. I have a Glock 27 and shot one before I purchased to make sure. It seems to me to have significantly more recoil/flip than a Glock 26, as well as more than my Glock 30.

If I had it to do again, I might have more seriously considered a 26 instead of the 27, although I am happy with the 27.

Not saying she could not handle it, but its wise to make sure before purchase to save a costly lesson. Of course one can usually get a conversion barrel, etc to take a 40 down to a 9, and not the other way around, but I'd still recommend shoot a few first.

I would stick with the revolver, but if you want a bottom feeder, look at the S&W M&P

By bottom feeder I assume you are referencing a semi-auto as opposed to any quality issue with the M&P?

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    You can see where I live. If your not to far away, I have 1 she can try out. CW40. or she can shoot the G22:)

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Look at a Beretta PX4 sub compact, da/sa and safety if you want to use it. It's heavier than a glock and that helps a little with the .40 recoil.

Top Bottom