Help needed!! What motivates you to practice/train?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    My wife got her LTCH about 6 months ago. She took the NRA basic pistol and personal protection classes from Jay and really did well. That was the last time before yesterday that she got out shooting. She is either working or it’s to cold (anything under 60); all winter long I tried to motivate her to go shooting. She has carried it pretty much all time.

We finally had some good weather and time off so I asked my wife if she wanted to go shooting. After a little hesitation and a frown I said "that’s not a question honey, lets go". Thinking I probably just booked myself for a nights stay on the couch but she did come along. The rust and insecurity was obvious form the start. She unloaded her weapon (Ruger LCP /laser grip) and set it on the table. The slide was home so I asked is it unloaded, she said it was. I pulled the slide back and a round comes popping up. "Well I thought I did" she says. Ok now I am biting my tongue but calmly explain what the range expects as a safe weapon while on the range. Finally start doing some shooting her first couple of shots she struggled with the trigger pull (absolutely horrendous on a LCP). She struggled with the magazine load, locking the slide back, and just all around very uncomfortable with the gun. At one point the gun fell to the ground. Its was everything I could do to remain calm, if she would have been one of my recruits she would still be doing a pushups today.:D Not wanting to be a know it all I told you so type I just said this is why we train. I took the gun and showed her how to load it. For some reason after she emptied a magazine she would put the gun in her left hand and try to unload it (she shoots right handed) and this is how she dropped it. After 50 rds we worked the rust of her and she was changing mags and hitting the target flawlessly. She wanted to quit and I pushed for another 50rds. No problems. I asked her to commit to once a week for a month and she said weather permitting. I will take what I can get. She did later thank me and I believe she has real understanding of the importance for training.
    I had her shoot my G19 and she liked it much better but still not sure. She said she wants another gun but what that is I have no idea. I didn't like her choice of the LCP for a primary carry but followed a lot of people’s advice and let her pick it out. I am not to sure about this now, its good way to keep things civil in a marriage but if the wrong choices are being made is that acceptable? I would have liked to see a revolver for her first carry gun but they were too big. She is very small person and wants to be comfortable while carrying.
    Other then the weather thing (she is cold natured person) how do you motivate yourself to go practice?

These questions are for the women shooters on INGO but if any of you men have any good advise that works please do.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    One thing I try to do is tell my wife how enjoyable the time with her, at the range, was for me. That makes my wife understand that I value the time we spend at the range together. Then she wants to talk about how she shot, and how she improved,etc. I think it makes her want to do better, and practice more. And above all, I compliment her on her shooting and her improvement. Just my :twocents:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    It's all about the weather for me. And finding the time.

Getting her a gun she has an easier time shooting would be a big help. When she picked out the LCP, had she shot it before at all? Get her some time behind several different models and see what she likes. If she can't/won't shoot them, make sure when you're browsing at the store that she can operate the slide, change magazines, or any other maneuvering that needs to be done (I'm not familiar with revolvers, so not sure what you need to check there, but you get the idea...). There are some semi-autos that I have put down immediately because I could hardly operate the slide. Trigger pull is high on my list, too.

It's hard to answer your question, though. I'm not one to get up by myself and go, but if someone says, "hey, I'm going shooting such and such a time," if my schedule is free and someone is watching the baby, 99% of the time I'm ready to go, too.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson

Getting her a gun she has an easier time shooting would be a big help. No doubt going to work on that soon.

When she picked out the LCP, had she shot it before at all?
    NO, big mistake. I should have at least shot it once and I would have known.

No she did not shoot it before she bought it. We did spend a few days looking for one that fit her hand and was comfortable carrying. When she decided she wanted one I didn't want her to get frustrated and decide she didn't need one. Hey it’s still shopping even though it is for a gun. She just had to come home with one:D I can not fault this.

Or schedules make it difficult having the same time off. For her to get proficient and stay that way she is going to have to practice on her own sometimes.
    We are going to find her a new carry gun soon, I hope she gets to shoot a few different guns. She has this weekend off and we will go look at some and then maybe post on INGO what she would like to try. Lots of nice folks here.

I never let weather dictate when or how I am going to train. That was drilled into me while in the corps. I understand its cold/wet but it don't last long. It mind over matter and good pair polypro's.:d

Thanks for the input Pami

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    One thing I try to do is tell my wife how enjoyable the time with her, at the range, was for me. That makes my wife understand that I value the time we spend at the range together. Then she wants to talk about how she shot, and how she improved,etc. I think it makes her want to do better, and practice more. And above all, I compliment her on her shooting and her improvement. Just my :twocents:

Well I always tell her how sexy she looks with that pistol ;)
    I need to remind myself this. I get a little frustrated sometimes.:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog

I have to agree with Pami on this. It is weather and time. I don't like indoor ranges and if I'm not enjoying myself, I won't do it.
    My motivation is personal defense. When the weather breaks, I'm back at the range, trying to improve my technique.
    I have different guns and I take different ones to the range depending on my mood. I have an LCP and I make sure I take it and put at least 30 rounds through it each time. It's not fun to take by itself, and it isn't my only carry weapon. I have a 22lr plinker that is fun to shoot. I have a 9mm M&P and I love shooting it. When I practice I have a weapon that I LOVE to shoot, and I must practice with the LCP, too.
    It might cost you a little to get her another weapon, but it would be worth it if she would practice more. Good luck.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    My answer won't apply to her, I don't think. My Motivation is my ME time. Away from Callie and my husband, away from everything. It's just me, my guns and my target. It's my escape, so to speak. But also, it's my safety, as I'm alone a lot with just my daughter in a world FULL of jacked up people.
    As far as the unloading problems and what-not. Does she practice at home with snap caps in it? Could you get her to? Without doing it over and over at home, it's hard to remember. Put some snap caps in her magazine when you are home, and have her practice unloading/loading/trigger pull etc.
    Motivation wise...make it fun for her. When you take her to the range, stop somewhere on your way home.
    She's not going to go to the range herself if SHE doesn't feel confident that she can handle any problem that may arise. For someone who doesn't know firearms well...an alone range trip is a scary thing (as it should be).

Does she have someone she can call if while shooting, she has a jam (or other problem) that she can't figure it out? Does she know how to handle the gun in a case like that? Can she call you (or even Jay) at work?
    Confidence is the key. She's got to be confident that she can handle it on her own with out the help of someone right there.

I agree with stilllearning about having a variety of weapons...but she's got to *know* them first.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I don't think I can add much to the conversation, but I'll reiterate a couple of points. Just like Pami said, I'm not likely to go to the range by myself. I think I'm getting closer, but I also like to go for the time to hang out with my hubby. And in most cases, if I'm free then he's free, and as of late I've been the one pushing to go the range more! As for RM - kudos for finding some time for yourself!

As far as your wife not remembering how to work her weapon, I'm actually surprised she's been carrying it without being all that comfortable with it. Please don't take this as anything against her, I'm just pointing out that with my first gun, I didn't even touch the case if my husband wasn't around. I just didn't "get" it for awhile. And I'm still not good at tearing any of mine down for a good cleaning. But it sounds like she's on her way. Be gentle, and keep encouraging her. It sounds like she's interested, but you'll need to keep pushing her little by little to figure things out.

As for finding her a different gun, when she finds something that fits and shoots like a dream, I think she'll want to shoot more. It can be really difficult to find a handgun that fits a woman's hand (grip, controls, trigger, everything) and moves easily enough to manipulate (slide, take down, etc).

I would suggest getting her to an INGO shoot fest where she can meet other ladies who shoot and try out lots of different guns. I'm not sure where you live, but you can always join the NWI get together on May 2nd. :ingo:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like our wifes are in ways,.... opposite... While my wife loves to go out and spend all day at the range regardless of the weather, she has absolutely no desire to ever " carry ". I learned years ago, to not try to influence her in this , but rather just be thankful for that fact when we go down to Roush range, she has a good time and I end up staying all day too. ;)

A very obvious observation I have noticed with her is theres not a ice cubes chance in h*ll she she is going to enjoy the day if she is not shooting something that is comfortable and also that she is not accurate with.

Now, this does present a few small issues.. One is she does get " bored " with one gun during these range trips. She does great and likes to shoot the Ruger mark II's, but that only does it for her for maybe an hour. She absolutely hates my Glocks and XD's, but can tolerate my Beretta for maybe another hour. The one gun she does enjoy shooting alot, is a Ruger SP101. She has gotten fairly well with it and can burn through 400-500 rounds QUICK ! Usually, we run out of reloads before the day is over. Here recently, she got to hold a FNP-9 and said she liked how it felt. Planning on taking her to look at a few more then buying something hopefully in 9mm so she has another option when we do go out.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Yup. Which is why I'm going to pay someone else to train my wife. Then we can have fun practicing.

Oh I paid someone else to train her. They did an absolute great job. You can call it practice or training still same thing in my book.:D If you do not practice/train you can lose everything you learned in a class.

We are going to go handle a few guns tonight she said she wanted to take another look at a Beretta .380 Cheetah.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is a great topic for anyone! It definately spurred some thinking, it took me a bit to get this together, and it's probably more than you asked for.

What motivates me is pretty simple. Like many on this board, I’ve been in situations where my life was dependant on my training, my gear, and the men around me. You very seldom feel comfortable in that moment with all you’ve done. The memory of those moments, mistakes, and things I should have done better are all the motivation I need.

I read an article about a mythical adversary on another forum a few years back, it stuck with me so I added it to the bottom of this post. That article, and the adversary described also drives me. Somewhere right now there is a Todd, and he’s training to kill, maim, or take all that you hold dear. He may be a two bit thug out looking for a buzz, he may be a professional who makes a living on violence, he may be a radical willing to die or kill for his cause. Whatever his reasons, I will not allow myself to be unprepared in our meeting.

What’s worse, that meeting may take place in the company of someone I love, someone who makes failure not an option. In that moment, death may be an option, but not failure. That is what drives me to lift that extra weight, run the extra mile, to get out in the rain, and the cold. It forces me off the couch to work my technique. It inspires me to spend money on quality gear. It pushes me to look for my own weaknesses and close the holes before Todd can find them. It drives me to hit, and be hit at full force. It makes me tackle new subjects I know nothing about, and look like a fool trying to absorb some new piece of important information.

It drives me to work harder knowing that somewhere, someone is working harder to take me. Training to me isn’t about fun, sure the camaraderie is good, and the friendships are worth the stretch, but the preparation and the end result are all the satisfaction I need.

There is no outside motivation that will ever match ones own internal drive. The same is true of any endeavor. Look at a successful professional athlete, in order to reach that level, they have put in countless thousands of hours training, studying, and improving. If we are willing to do this for a game, why would we not be willing to do this for our lives?

I do not get to choose my adversary at the moment of truth, I do not get to choose the arena in which we will complete, I cannot choose who will be there to witness this dance, nor can I choose who I will be defending from harm. What I can choose is how I have prepared, and how I will respond.

Tinman....

One Warrior's Creed​

If today is to be THE DAY, so be it.
    If you seek to do battle with me this day you will receive the best that I am capable of giving.
    It may not be enough, but it will be everything that I have to give and it will be impressive for I have constantly prepared myself for this day.
    I have trained, drilled, and rehearsed my actions so that I might have the best chance of defeating you.
    I have kept myself in peak physical condition, schooled myself in the martial skills and have become proficient in the application of combat tactics.
    You may defeat me, but you will pay a severed price and will be lucky to escape with your life.
    You may kill me, but I am willing to die if necessary. I do not fear Death, for I have been close enough to it on enough occasions that it no longer concerns me.
    But I do fear the loss of my HONOR and would rather die fighting than to have said that I was without COURAGE.
    SO I WILL FIGHT YOU,
    no matter how insurmountable it may seem, and to the death if need be, in order that it may never be said of me that I was not a WARRIOR.​

Thanks to Randy Watts of the Ogden Utah Police Department for writing this creed.​

The origin of TODD
    By: Belisarius

That long thread about Aikido got me thinking about the assumptions that we make about our potential opponents when we enter into any kind of "self-defense" training. I suppose that virtually any martial art or fighting system will work if your opponent is a moron, but how does it fare when you have to go up against the rare "black swan" event---the perfect storm opponent situation?

Since you cannot control who you will run into, maybe it is prudent to create a template for a worst case opponent and assume that is who you will have to face in a fight for your life? Let's call him "Todd."

Physical fitness? Discipline? Motivation? Todd is a former Division I-level athlete. He benches over 350 and runs an all-out quarter-mile in just over 50 seconds. Todd spends his mornings pounding out miles of hard roadwork, pumps iron like a maniac in lieu of eating lunch, and spends his evenings dry-firing his EDC handgun, studying ways to hurt people, and beating the hell out of his Spar-Pro and heavy bag. He maintains an extensive library of books and videos on combat and survival-related topics.

He goes to bed tired but satisfied every night, satisfied because he has no other hobbies and because he looks at training as money in the bank---he will cash in his full paycheck on the fateful day that he faces you in a fight.

Todd spends his weekends doing strenuous physical activities and competing in IPSC Limited or IDPA matches. He spends his vacations going to places like Crucible, the Rogers Academy, and BSR. Todd has no other hobbies and he is not really concerned with being a "weird, paranoid freak" in the eyes of many normal people. Todd does not really hang out with "normal" people, anyway---he prefers to hang out with people like himself.

Warning of an attack? Deception? Good luck trying any Jedi mind tricks on Todd: he studies NLP and evolutionary psychology. Todd does not dress like some kind of thug, either: he knows that a clean-cut appearance increases his time/distance window of opportunity to ambush his prey. Pay very close attention to Todd's choice of boots, belt, and watch---they may be the only warnings that you get.

Todd knows that anonymity is the most important weapon in his formidable arsenal. He does not threaten, he does not warn, he does not talk **** or insult---those things take time and telegraph intentions. Todd just makes a binary decision and then acts.

Training? Background? Todd trains in the most effective fighting and survival techniques that he can. He is open-minded and non-judgmental, caring only that techniques fit within an overarching framework of logic and ruthless pragmatism. He lives his whole life this way---it is his structure, his discipline, his religion. Todd may have a black belt from Rickson Gracie, may have been a Golden Gloves boxer or a freestyle wrestler or a linebacker, may have trained in the famous Muay Thai gyms of Holland, maybe a student of WWII Combatives or battlefield jiu-jitsu methods. Maybe---and now the plot gets chilling (as Marcus Wynne describes in his books)---Todd has been the recipient of millions of dollars in government-sponsored training...money that was specifically spent to turn him into some kind of professional shadow-warrior badass, like John Macejunas or Kelly McCann.

Maybe Todd is all of the above: operator, martial artist, fighter, contact-sport athlete.

It does not really matter where he got his start, because he has synthesized his approach into a combination of very destructive, attack-oriented techniques that he can perform with maximal effort without much fear of hurting himself in the process. He can strike and he can grapple, and most importantly he always tries to hit first.

Weapons? Equipment? This is the best part: trying to beat Todd in an unarmed fight is largely an academic exercise, because you will never, ever catch Todd unarmed. He carries a Glock or 1911, Fox OC spray, and a fixed-blade with him CCW every single day of his life. Todd is not interested in hitting you with his hands or feet---given even the slightest provocation, his opening gambit will be to present his handgun from the holster and to demand that you remain very still and quiet. If you then try to disarm Todd, strike Todd, or reach for your own weapon to attack Todd, Todd will not hesitate to shoot until slide lock.

Todd also trains in ways to use his knife to great effect---maybe pikal, maybe more of a Kni-Com technique, maybe both. Names like James Keating and the Dog Brothers are very familiar to Todd.

Todd will run you over with his SUV if you give him reason to. If you are more of a distant problem, he keeps an M4 or a DSA FAL in a Pelican case in the trunk, next to his trauma med kit and bugout ruck.

Forget trying to get to Todd at home: his place is like a fortress, complete with crazy locks (Todd studies B&E, too), a large dog, and the ubiquitous Scattergun Technologies 12-gauge with Sure-Fire light.

Remember that Todd likes to move first---his first move is to draw a weapon on you. Todd is not stupid. This isn't Bloodsport or a Sho Kosugi film. Todd wants to win...period.

Todd sounds like a nightmare, doesn't he? Well, let's all take heart---while we cannot control whether or not we will ever have to face a Todd, we CAN control our own training and preparation. We can become "Todds" (!). Many of you probably consciously found similarities between your own lifestyles and habits and the ones that were described above. I think the idea is to imagine the most ferocious and skilled opponent that you could face in a nightmare, then try to become that person (within whatever constraints that you face). If you are not willing to become a Todd, then you need to ask yourself who it is that you believe you are training to face.

We can become the "worst-case scenario" for someone else to have to deal with. I believe that these forums are about this...the mindset, the techniques, the equipment. There has been a lot of heated debate lately on various subtopics beneath the mantle of self-defense, but we are all students (no one has all the answers) and we share far more similarities than we do differences. I don't believe that anyone here is interested in promulgating some kind of massive mind-meld---dissenting opinions are what fuels progress and interesting debate.

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    I dont need motivation to practice. I just think its a blast.Maybe because I just have to go outside. It might be different if I had to load everything up and drive somewhere. I just met the hubby at the door earlier and went through about 200 rounds out back. :ar15:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What a great post!

I'm hoping Todd checks out my boots, belt and watch. Then decides to find another mark. In the mean time, back to work on his demise.

This is a great topic for anyone! It definately spurred some thinking, it took me a bit to get this together, and it's probably more than you asked for.

What motivates me is pretty simple. Like many on this board, I’ve been in situations where my life was dependant on my training, my gear, and the men around me. You very seldom feel comfortable in that moment with all you’ve done. The memory of those moments, mistakes, and things I should have done better are all the motivation I need.

I read an article about a mythical adversary on another forum a few years back, it stuck with me so I added it to the bottom of this post. That article, and the adversary described also drives me. Somewhere right now there is a Todd, and he’s training to kill, maim, or take all that you hold dear. He may be a two bit thug out looking for a buzz, he may be a professional who makes a living on violence, he may be a radical willing to die or kill for his cause. Whatever his reasons, I will not allow myself to be unprepared in our meeting.

What’s worse, that meeting may take place in the company of someone I love, someone who makes failure not an option. In that moment, death may be an option, but not failure. That is what drives me to lift that extra weight, run the extra mile, to get out in the rain, and the cold. It forces me off the couch to work my technique. It inspires me to spend money on quality gear. It pushes me to look for my own weaknesses and close the holes before Todd can find them. It drives me to hit, and be hit at full force. It makes me tackle new subjects I know nothing about, and look like a fool trying to absorb some new piece of important information.

It drives me to work harder knowing that somewhere, someone is working harder to take me. Training to me isn’t about fun, sure the camaraderie is good, and the friendships are worth the stretch, but the preparation and the end result are all the satisfaction I need.

There is no outside motivation that will ever match ones own internal drive. The same is true of any endeavor. Look at a successful professional athlete, in order to reach that level, they have put in countless thousands of hours training, studying, and improving. If we are willing to do this for a game, why would we not be willing to do this for our lives?

I do not get to choose my adversary at the moment of truth, I do not get to choose the arena in which we will complete, I cannot choose who will be there to witness this dance, nor can I choose who I will be defending from harm. What I can choose is how I have prepared, and how I will respond.

Tinman....

One Warrior's Creed​

If today is to be THE DAY, so be it.
    If you seek to do battle with me this day you will receive the best that I am capable of giving.
    It may not be enough, but it will be everything that I have to give and it will be impressive for I have constantly prepared myself for this day.
    I have trained, drilled, and rehearsed my actions so that I might have the best chance of defeating you.
    I have kept myself in peak physical condition, schooled myself in the martial skills and have become proficient in the application of combat tactics.
    You may defeat me, but you will pay a severed price and will be lucky to escape with your life.
    You may kill me, but I am willing to die if necessary. I do not fear Death, for I have been close enough to it on enough occasions that it no longer concerns me.
    But I do fear the loss of my HONOR and would rather die fighting than to have said that I was without COURAGE.
    SO I WILL FIGHT YOU,
    no matter how insurmountable it may seem, and to the death if need be, in order that it may never be said of me that I was not a WARRIOR.​

Thanks to Randy Watts of the Ogden Utah Police Department for writing this creed.​

The origin of TODD
    By: Belisarius

That long thread about Aikido got me thinking about the assumptions that we make about our potential opponents when we enter into any kind of "self-defense" training. I suppose that virtually any martial art or fighting system will work if your opponent is a moron, but how does it fare when you have to go up against the rare "black swan" event---the perfect storm opponent situation?

Since you cannot control who you will run into, maybe it is prudent to create a template for a worst case opponent and assume that is who you will have to face in a fight for your life? Let's call him "Todd."

Physical fitness? Discipline? Motivation? Todd is a former Division I-level athlete. He benches over 350 and runs an all-out quarter-mile in just over 50 seconds. Todd spends his mornings pounding out miles of hard roadwork, pumps iron like a maniac in lieu of eating lunch, and spends his evenings dry-firing his EDC handgun, studying ways to hurt people, and beating the hell out of his Spar-Pro and heavy bag. He maintains an extensive library of books and videos on combat and survival-related topics.

He goes to bed tired but satisfied every night, satisfied because he has no other hobbies and because he looks at training as money in the bank---he will cash in his full paycheck on the fateful day that he faces you in a fight.

Todd spends his weekends doing strenuous physical activities and competing in IPSC Limited or IDPA matches. He spends his vacations going to places like Crucible, the Rogers Academy, and BSR. Todd has no other hobbies and he is not really concerned with being a "weird, paranoid freak" in the eyes of many normal people. Todd does not really hang out with "normal" people, anyway---he prefers to hang out with people like himself.

Warning of an attack? Deception? Good luck trying any Jedi mind tricks on Todd: he studies NLP and evolutionary psychology. Todd does not dress like some kind of thug, either: he knows that a clean-cut appearance increases his time/distance window of opportunity to ambush his prey. Pay very close attention to Todd's choice of boots, belt, and watch---they may be the only warnings that you get.

Todd knows that anonymity is the most important weapon in his formidable arsenal. He does not threaten, he does not warn, he does not talk **** or insult---those things take time and telegraph intentions. Todd just makes a binary decision and then acts.

Training? Background? Todd trains in the most effective fighting and survival techniques that he can. He is open-minded and non-judgmental, caring only that techniques fit within an overarching framework of logic and ruthless pragmatism. He lives his whole life this way---it is his structure, his discipline, his religion. Todd may have a black belt from Rickson Gracie, may have been a Golden Gloves boxer or a freestyle wrestler or a linebacker, may have trained in the famous Muay Thai gyms of Holland, maybe a student of WWII Combatives or battlefield jiu-jitsu methods. Maybe---and now the plot gets chilling (as Marcus Wynne describes in his books)---Todd has been the recipient of millions of dollars in government-sponsored training...money that was specifically spent to turn him into some kind of professional shadow-warrior badass, like John Macejunas or Kelly McCann.

Maybe Todd is all of the above: operator, martial artist, fighter, contact-sport athlete.

It does not really matter where he got his start, because he has synthesized his approach into a combination of very destructive, attack-oriented techniques that he can perform with maximal effort without much fear of hurting himself in the process. He can strike and he can grapple, and most importantly he always tries to hit first.

Weapons? Equipment? This is the best part: trying to beat Todd in an unarmed fight is largely an academic exercise, because you will never, ever catch Todd unarmed. He carries a Glock or 1911, Fox OC spray, and a fixed-blade with him CCW every single day of his life. Todd is not interested in hitting you with his hands or feet---given even the slightest provocation, his opening gambit will be to present his handgun from the holster and to demand that you remain very still and quiet. If you then try to disarm Todd, strike Todd, or reach for your own weapon to attack Todd, Todd will not hesitate to shoot until slide lock.

Todd also trains in ways to use his knife to great effect---maybe pikal, maybe more of a Kni-Com technique, maybe both. Names like James Keating and the Dog Brothers are very familiar to Todd.

Todd will run you over with his SUV if you give him reason to. If you are more of a distant problem, he keeps an M4 or a DSA FAL in a Pelican case in the trunk, next to his trauma med kit and bugout ruck.

Forget trying to get to Todd at home: his place is like a fortress, complete with crazy locks (Todd studies B&E, too), a large dog, and the ubiquitous Scattergun Technologies 12-gauge with Sure-Fire light.

Remember that Todd likes to move first---his first move is to draw a weapon on you. Todd is not stupid. This isn't Bloodsport or a Sho Kosugi film. Todd wants to win...period.

Todd sounds like a nightmare, doesn't he? Well, let's all take heart---while we cannot control whether or not we will ever have to face a Todd, we CAN control our own training and preparation. We can become "Todds" (!). Many of you probably consciously found similarities between your own lifestyles and habits and the ones that were described above. I think the idea is to imagine the most ferocious and skilled opponent that you could face in a nightmare, then try to become that person (within whatever constraints that you face). If you are not willing to become a Todd, then you need to ask yourself who it is that you believe you are training to face.

We can become the "worst-case scenario" for someone else to have to deal with. I believe that these forums are about this...the mindset, the techniques, the equipment. There has been a lot of heated debate lately on various subtopics beneath the mantle of self-defense, but we are all students (no one has all the answers) and we share far more similarities than we do differences. I don't believe that anyone here is interested in promulgating some kind of massive mind-meld---dissenting opinions are what fuels progress and interesting debate.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't like to go without DH either. I don't think I've overcome that umbilical to my comfort zone yet. Yet I carry every time I leave the house and often have one on inside whether he's home or not. There's some disconnect in that for sure.

As for range time: honestly, I don't like it. Makes about as much sense as golf. Instead of hitting a little ball and chasing it again and again and again, we stuff a metal box with projectiles and then throw them away from us again and again and again. It's a little too mindless for me.

I have to have a secondary cerebrally-stimulating purpose. It doesn't take much, but if I don't create a "reason" to shoot other than shooting, I get bored after a mag's worth. DH and I like to "compete" and we have little competitions. If it's a new acquisition, I'm testing for accuracy and precision. If it's an old firearm, I'm comparing/competing against past performance. Or I'm testing out re-load performance. Or sighting in a new scope. But just going to send lead down range? Forget it.

OP, my suggestion, on top of all the previous ones regarding choice of firearms, is to create some sort of game/goal. Can she maintain an certain percentage of shots in a given area/group size? Can she maintain a minimum accuracy at greater speed than normal? Can she beat you? ;)

Would she enjoy shooting rifles more? If it gets her to the range willingly, it's just that much easier to say, "Hey, since we're here, let's put 50 rounds through the carry piece to stay proficient." Something like that.

Top Bottom