• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok I finally got a chance to shoot my new Springfield Ultra Compact yesterday and I loved it. I disassembled and cleaned it all up with no problems at all. I have got this thing almost reassembled with the exception of the slide stop lever. I can't get this thing past the plunger it's just too freaking tight and doesn't want to budge.

This isn't my first 1911 and never had any issues like this before. I can now see why my brand new gun came out of the box with the circular "idiot mark" on it. :xmad:

How do I get this darn thing back into the gun without me breaking anything or scratching it all up?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'd also guess this ^^^may be the problem. The lug sometimes doesn't drop into alignment without using a toothpick or something similar to toy it into alignment. It's also possible to grind/file a little divot on the back of the slide stop to allow you to push it straight in, rather than have to move it in an arc while pushing it in. My Wilsons come with the modification already made, I think Kimbers might as well.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yea I'm positive the barrel lug is lined up. The plunger doesnt want to move when I'm sliding in the slide stop.

I radiused the slide stop (the part that contacts the plunger) a bit with 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper as well to try and get it to slide the plunger back a bit easier but no luck.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Hold the slide back so everything lines up using only your left hand. Push the slide stop until you make contact with the plunger, or close to it. Slide that playing card under the slide stop. Using a very small flat screwdriver, push the plunger back with the screw driver as you push the slide stop in.

The easiest way to do this is holding the gun on its side with the slide stop up. Use the thumb of your right hand to push the plunger back with the blade of the screw driver. Use your left thumb to push the slide stop in at the same time.

Sounds kinda like a monkey humpin' a bowling ball, but I've had to to do it like this for some of my tighter 1911s.

Last edited:

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've never owned a gun as tight as this Springfield. I'll try the monkey humpin' technique when I get home.

I appreciate your help fellas.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    On most 1911s the slide stop plunger will not move aside by simply pushing the slide stop straight into the frame. You would think it would, but usually it will not. If the slide stop is modified and radiused it might. Most will not. First, you need to see if the slide stop plunger is free to move in and out. Can you push it in with your finger or thumb (without the stop being inserted)? It should move easily with your fingers. If not you should remove the thumb safety and then the plunger and spring from the tube (to the rear) and make sure it is not binding due to a burr inside the plunger tube. There is a mod in the stickies on the 1911 forum by a guy who calls himself "Logman" that will solve your problem. It basically consists of taking a round needle file and cutting a shallow groove into the slide stop so that it can push the plunger aside easily when installing the slide stop. Please check it out.

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    Gotta tell ya guys... reading this thread has made me even more happy that i sold my xdm, and went to g19 and g26. I can strip 'em TOTALLY down, clean, and reassemble in 20 minutes, and never worry that they won't go bang when I tell 'em to!:ar15:

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Go away Glock lover! :laugh:

Just messing with ya. I owned a Glock 23 back in the day and traded that on my PT1911 (won't regret it either). It was a damn reliable and accurate gun but didnt like the fact that it didn't have a safety and I also got tired of feeling like I was handling tupperware every time I picked it up. It's all a matter of personal preferance.

:welcome: to :ingo: INDYFAN :rockwoot:

Top Bottom