• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Please help save my hair, as I'm currently pulling it out.
    I'm on my third Streamlight Protac 2L-X (500 lumen, handheld, duel fuel) and they all have the same problem.
    Light works perfectly with a pair of CR123 batteries, but when I try the rechargeable Li-ion battery (SL-B26) it will not work.
    Batt is fully charged, inserted correctly (+ end first) and when I start to screw the tailcap/switch on, the light will flash randomly, as I wiggle the tailcap. However, when I screw the tailcap on more than the first thread....nothing.

So......
    TLDR...light works perfectly, included batt is fully charged, but they won't work together.
    Any suggestions? Common problem?
    I've owned many SL products, but never experienced this.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Please help save my hair, as I'm currently pulling it out.
    I'm on my third Streamlight Protac 2L-X (500 lumen, handheld, duel fuel) and they all have the same problem.
    Light works perfectly with a pair of CR123 batteries, but when I try the rechargeable Li-ion battery (SL-B26) it will not work.
    Batt is fully charged, inserted correctly (+ end first) and when I start to screw the tailcap/switch on, the light will flash randomly, as I wiggle the tailcap. However, when I screw the tailcap on more than the first thread....nothing.

So......
    TLDR...light works perfectly, included batt is fully charged, but they won't work together.
    Any suggestions? Common problem?
    I've owned many SL products, but never experienced this.
    I have a few of the rechargeable Li-ion battery's in different flashlights also. I also bought a spare set with charger off Amazon. I don't recall what make two of the battery's are, but they are shorter than the other battery's.
    I just stretched the spring in the one flashlight that I had the same problem you are having.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    My problem seems the opposite, as if the rechargeable is a tiny bit too long.
    The spring is making contact before I even start threading the cap on, and as soon as the cap contacts the body, the light randomly comes on or flashes, albeit with no control, other than by wiggling the tailcap. Any further tightening leaves the light inoperable, and it obviously isn't intended to be used with the tailcap hanging on by a thread...literally.
    How does something as simple as a flashlight cause migraines?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My problem seems the opposite, as if the rechargeable is a tiny bit too long.
    The spring is making contact before I even start threading the cap on, and as soon as the cap contacts the body, the light randomly comes on or flashes, albeit with no control, other than by wiggling the tailcap. Any further tightening leaves the light inoperable, and it obviously isn't intended to be used with the tailcap hanging on by a thread...literally.
    How does something as simple as a flashlight cause migraines?
    It may be that the light isnt intended to be used with that rechargeable?

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    It may be that the light isnt intended to be used with that rechargeable?
    This is the battery that comes packaged with the light. It's a single batt that takes the place of two CR123 batteries.
    I returned the first package, and then the second for this exact problem. When the third one did it, I finally tried the 123's in it, and, lo and behold....works fine.
    Just won't work with the included batt.
    Go figure... :dunno:

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    "It doesn't work when I use those batteries."

"Then don't use those batteries."
    The whole point of buying a light that can use rechargeable batteries is so, well, you can use rechargeable batteries.

I bought 2 hlx gun mount models. One worked fine with the rechargeble batteries and the regular tailcap, the other did not. Luckily I used the pressure switch, so it was a non issue.

I did see that the battery was kind of long for the housing. Seems like they need an extra 1/16" inch or so of tube/body. The spring may be compressing too much and contacting something in the body of the switch.

No help, but it's not just you.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    The whole point of buying a light that can use rechargeable batteries is so, well, you can use rechargeable batteries.

I bought 2 hlx gun mount models. One worked fine with the rechargeble batteries and the regular tailcap, the other did not. Luckily I used the pressure switch, so it was a non issue.

I did see that the battery was kind of long for the housing. Seems like they need an extra 1/16" inch or so of tube/body. The spring may be compressing too much and contacting something in the body of the switch.

No help, but it's not just you.

This time, for real....Thanks.
    At least I'm not the only one.

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    I have a couple of the protacs with rechargeable batteries and haven’t had any issues.

I wonder if it’s possible that whatever power source you’re using to charge the batteries is somehow damaging them. 3 of 3 with the same issue seems odd.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Streamlight usually has pretty good customer service. If you haven’t tried contacting them yet, or if you have and response is slow (been a while since I had to) you can always hop on their social media pages and ask the question the there. Seems like all the companies are pretty responsive to questions posed in public forums (I wonder why?).

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I have a couple of the protacs with rechargeable batteries and haven’t had any issues.

I wonder if it’s possible that whatever power source you’re using to charge the batteries is somehow damaging them. 3 of 3 with the same issue seems odd.

The first two were charged off a wall wart and the included USB cable.
    The third was charged with the included cable off my laptop. These batts have red and green LED's to indicate charging status, and claim to have protection circuitry on board to "make it impossible to overcharge", according to Streamlight.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Streamlight usually has pretty good customer service. If you haven’t tried contacting them yet, or if you have and response is slow (been a while since I had to) you can always hop on their social media pages and ask the question the there. Seems like all the companies are pretty responsive to questions posed in public forums (I wonder why?).

Have a contact request in their system now. We'll see what they have to say. Hopefully it will be a simple solution.

Last edited:

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I had a TRL-8 that was draining the batteries in a few days. After making sure everything was off a couple of times, I contacted Streamlight on their website and sent the unit back. About a week later, I got a brand new one. Just went in and checked it. Still working.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Well, rcvd a call from a Streamlight service tech this afternoon. He had heard of this problem, but was gobsmacked that I got three in a row.
    Asked me, at my convenience, to perform a simple test...remove the tailcap, and using a screwdriver, push down on the center rear (negative pole) of the battery and simultaneously touch the screwdriver shaft to the body of the light. If the light comes on and stays on, then the tailcap/switch is faulty. Any other result is the battery.
    He is pre-emptively sending me a new tailcap and a return label.
    If I still can't get it to work, he wants me to send it back to him at Streamlight. He said he will personally pull one from stock and verify all operations before sending it to me.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

TL, DR...Streamlight customer service is very responsive, helpful, and will make it right.

A side note: He asked how I charged the battery, particularly did I use any Apple products. Apparently Apple chargers have a weird voltage ramp/profile that can eff up a battery. I didn't use any, but I'm just spreading the word, according to Streamlight.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Asked me, at my convenience, to perform a simple test...remove the tailcap, and using a screwdriver, push down on the center rear (negative pole) of the battery and simultaneously touch the screwdriver shaft to the body of the light. If the light comes on and stays on, then the tailcap/switch is faulty. Any other result is the battery.
    Interested to hear the test results when you get around to conducting it.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Did the test. Light immediately lit up at full power, leading to the diagnosis that the tailcap is bad.
    However, I also put pressure on the battery, with my index finger, and moved the screwdriver to different contact points around the body of the flashlight. I would have expected there to be no change, but there was.
    It was as if various points on the body had different conductive values. Perhaps the finish/coating on the light is incorrect/too thick/who knows?
    The screw threads inside the flashlight body are coated black, including the bevel where the tailcap seats. Maybe it shouldn't be.
    Anyways, when the new tailcap arrives, it either works, or it's all going back to Streamlight for replacement.

Top Bottom