• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am wanting to fill in one of my basement windows. It is a regular "access" type window but it is in a blocked in old coal room from when my house had a coal furnace. I was wondering if I could just build a form on both sides and concrete it in? Also, would drilling holes in the block around the window and inserting rebar help it out if I go that route? I currently have the window covered with wood but want something more solid. There are more window access points in the basement so that is not an issue but I want this one sealed off.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    You can do this, and adding rebar would be a necessity to keep the concrete in place once it cures. If not a couple of smacks with a hammer and it would be in your basement. The only problem you may run into is an air pocket in the concrete.

You might also consider glass blocks. They are stout and can't be seen through but allow light in.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    PM me, bud. I am in the window business. Glass block would be the way to go, but they do have some weaknesses.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    irish i did the concrete route with mine, it works well and even during the craziest storms it hasn't leaked but a little one time and its been in for 4 years now. the glass blocks would probably be a better route to let light in and help cut down on possible mold

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I like the glass block idea but I want something that I can cover with a skim coat and nobody will know it was there. I don't want anyone to be able to see in or get into this area. Ya, I am a tinfoil junkie on this but I want it as secure as possible and the best security is nobody knowing where it is.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Rebar and poured cement makes the most sense to me.
    I guess you'll bore/handrill into the perimiter of the window opening to insert and anchor the rebar?

aaronsbig16g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    I did glass block in the basement of my room at my mom's house. The block I used makes it so you can't really see anything from the out side but it lets sunlight in. I think it was some sort of bathroom window blocks.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Rebar and poured cement makes the most sense to me.
    I guess you'll bore/handrill into the perimiter of the window opening to insert and anchor the rebar?

My idea was to drill holes in all four sides of the window opening and cross rebar over itself to give the concrete something to bond to. I don't want to use glass block as it could easily be kicked or busted through. Also, I plan on putting skim coat over the outside wall so that nobody will notice anything new has been done to the foundation wall.

Top Bottom