• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    There is an INGO events section in General Interest on the main page. I'll see if I can copy the thread.

I’m in Rochester, are the details for the shoot on this site?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It is .50 cal. I have a dozen balls and looks like a hundred patches. If I recall the caps used to be in a small metal can smaller than a Skoal chewing tobacco can. Just can’t remember the number that was on it.
    The size of cap needed is determined by the size of the nipple, and that can be changed.
    My muzzle loading foray began with rifles using no.11 caps. These were standard for a long time.
    I then discovered that I could change the no.11 nipple to what is known as a "musket cap nipple".
    These are larger nipples, requiring a larger, "musket cap", which burn hotter than the no.11 caps.
    This results in more reliable ignition and musket caps are a little easier to find than the no.11's.
    Just a thought.

Twinks46975

Plinker
    Jul 14, 2022
    Rochester
    These will all work though some may be more dirty. Can't tell by the pic but the Goex is FF. Some use FFF or Pyrodex P which is a finer granule powder though I never tried and believe you may need to reduce the charge a bit with that. Forgot to mention you will probably need to swab the bore after every couple of shots or it may be too difficult to load. I never use solvent meant for smokeless powder but water, black powder bore solvent or Ballistol. Spit will work too even for a patch if you are shooting it right away. Don't forget to lube the patch or get pre lubed patches. Bore butter, lard or any number of things work as patch lube but spit will dry up before you shoot if you are hunting.

View attachment 274605

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    The OP's rifle looks to be a Traditions judging by the patch box. Don't know what size nipple threads it would be if a new
    nipple is to be had.

I never thought of a musket cap nipple for mine. I have musket caps for my civil war era Bridesburg if the #11 supply gets low.

Twinks46975

Plinker
    Jul 14, 2022
    Rochester
    I have the same rifle for 30 years. It has taken deer, coyote and even a squirrel and here's what I have found. First make sure to clean it. I take the barrel off and submerge the breech end in HOT water then run a .50 cleaning jag up and down the barrel with a patch. The suction will draw water all the way up so hold the barrel with a rag unless you don't care about water all over the place. The reason for hot water is it dries quickly to avoid rust. You can also use a black powder bore solvent but I like the hot water method. Get either some two F powder or a BLACK POWDER substitute of which I've used Pyrodex RS. I use 90 grains by volume so a black powder measure is needed. Some #11 caps, a .490 ball and I have used a .15 patch. It takes some pressure to push down the barrel so be careful if you have a wooden ramrod. I have not tried a .10 patch which would be easier to load simply because the aforementioned is very accurate.
    I was able to get the supplies together and fire the muzzleloader. I used the hot water method outlined and it worked well. I was worried about rust but it dried fast. I found the #11 caps and bought the patches on sale at Walmart. Thanks for your help.

Twinks46975

Plinker
    Jul 14, 2022
    Rochester
    These will all work though some may be more dirty. Can't tell by the pic but the Goex is FF. Some use FFF or Pyrodex P which is a finer granule powder though I never tried and believe you may need to reduce the charge a bit with that. Forgot to mention you will probably need to swab the bore after every couple of shots or it may be too difficult to load. I never use solvent meant for smokeless powder but water, black powder bore solvent or Ballistol. Spit will work too even for a patch if you are shooting it right away. Don't forget to lube the patch or get pre lubed patches. Bore butter, lard or any number of things work as patch lube but spit will dry up before you shoot if you are hunting.

View attachment 274605
    I was able to locate the powder and Caps first and later the remaining supplies. It went well for having not been fired since 1998. It has two triggers, the back is like a pre set making the front trigger very light. I shot 10 rounds total. It was nice to get it going. I used the hot water method to clean it after and that worked good. Thank you.

Twinks46975

Plinker
    Jul 14, 2022
    Rochester
    Back when I had a flintlock, I used 3f for the pan, and 2f for the load……
    I was able to get Goex powder. $29.99 per pound please shipping. It seems to burn cleaner but I don’t have much knowledge. It’s definitely nice to have it back in action again. Next step is to practice up and see how well it does around 75 yards. My dad shot his last deer around 75 yards and I’d like to try that if I can get some practice in.

Top Bottom