• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had a Yugo. Got it for free. A guy bought it in a vacuum sealed cosmoline. It looked brand new after he got it all cleaned up and range ready. It was built like a tank like others have mentioned. I went to the range with him and it failed to fire. He threw it in my truck and said I could have it. He paid two hundred for it with all the accessories and ammo.

My initial impression of it was that it was junk. After fiddling with the trigger group and talking with a few SKS experts I got it running good. When switching it out to high cap mags it ran awful and jammed often. Had another fellow guy at the range with one just like it that he tacked out and it also ran like garbage.

If left in stock configuration they run good and are pretty accurate. The 7.62 round is amazingly hard hitting. Neat rifle to collect. I off loaded mine and made a nice bag of money. I am a shooter and if I cant run it hard without issues it has to go on down the road.

If you are into old military stuff and appreciate it for what it is grab one up. DONT pay over two hundred for one!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had a Yugo. Got it for free. A guy bought it in a vacuum sealed cosmoline. It looked brand new after he got it all cleaned up and range ready. It was built like a tank like others have mentioned. I went to the range with him and it failed to fire. He threw it in my truck and said I could have it. He paid two hundred for it with all the accessories and ammo.

My initial impression of it was that it was junk. After fiddling with the trigger group and talking with a few SKS experts I got it running good. When switching it out to high cap mags it ran awful and jammed often. Had another fellow guy at the range with one just like it that he tacked out and it also ran like garbage.

If left in stock configuration they run good and are pretty accurate. The 7.62 round is amazingly hard hitting. Neat rifle to collect. I off loaded mine and made a nice bag of money. I am a shooter and if I cant run it hard without issues it has to go on down the road.

If you are into old military stuff and appreciate it for what it is grab one up. DONT pay over two hundred for one!

Good luck with that! Prices have gone up since you got yours.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    When switching it out to high cap mags it ran awful and jammed often. Had another fellow guy at the range with one just like it that he tacked out and it also ran like garbage.

the key with the SKS is leaving the darn things alone. They are very reliable in stock configuration, but start jacking with them, throwing those crappy 30 rounds mags on them, and they don't run worth a crap. ;)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I think I paid ,$350 for my wasr and $200 for my sks. I must be getting old :cool:

I think I paid right around 150 for my Russian sks well over a decade ago. I was actually thinking of getting rid of it but I guess I'll hold on to it for awhile, didn't realize the price had gone up so much

They are great rifles. I gave $149 for mine in 2003. I wish I had bought a dozen! IMHO, the Zastava SKSs are the best of the lot.
    ZastavaM59-66-A1NewFurniture_zps9a8cxo8d.jpg

View attachment 46578

you kids nowadays and your cheap sks...HA I remember back in my day, they were 79.99 at gun shows!, when you wanted one, the man reached in a Chinese packing crate and picked it up with a rag, cause they were soaked in cosmoline, and we liked it, cause that all we could get!,i bought one, and climbed on the back of my dinosaur and rode home it took 3 days to clean all the grease off...hell my hands are still dirty!....and we liked it!, cause it was all we could get, you young whipper snapers and your "clean" sks's!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I like my Chinese. l paid 175 or 185 for it about 5 or 6 yrs ago. Used to be my favorite plinking gun until I bought a 357 lever gun and started reloading...now it just sits...but still, its a fun gun to go shoot. Need to pick up some more ammo for it before DC goes full retard.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I remember the good ol' days when people were buying $80 SKSs specifically to bury in strategic locations inside of PVC pipe. Because they were so cheap.

Top Bottom