• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I went to New Castle today to fire my new DPMS AR15. I did fine for the first 100 rounds or so. Then it jammed. I think it tried to chamber 2 rounds at the same time. I slapped it, removed the mag, slapped it again, tried to pull on the charging handle and nothing. It wont move forward or backward. I don't know what to do now. I've separated the upper and lower and that is the extent of what I can do. I may take it to premier ( where I purchased ) and see if they can help. Any tips on how to help.
    This is also a lesson why to not use cheap ammo. I'll say it before anyone else does: I'M AN IDIOT!!!!

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Not sure if ammo is your problem.

I'd completely disassemble the thing, and clean every nook and cranny.

If you're not sure how to, look on youtube. You can find disassemblies on dang near any firearm you can think of.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Not sure if ammo is your problem.

I'd completely disassemble the thing, and clean every nook and cranny.

If you're not sure how to, look on youtube. You can find disassemblies on dang near any firearm you can think of.

I took it apart but the bolt wont pull out

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    So the bolt is jammed forward, and will not come back to the open position? Is it all the way forward? What sort of ammo were you shooting?

Breaking in a new AR can be frustrating at times. Good ammo can help, but generally, if its not running 100%, even with cheap steel case, something else is contributing to the problem.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    So the bolt is jammed forward, and will not come back to the open position? Is it all the way forward? What sort of ammo were you shooting?

Breaking in a new AR can be frustrating at times. Good ammo can help, but generally, if its not running 100%, even with cheap steel case, something else is contributing to the problem.

The bots is jammed forward. It's got about an 1/8th inch of play. I was using Bear steel ammo. I don't know if it makes a difference but I made a vid of a friend shooting it and in the vid you can her the hammer hit then about 1/2 a second later it fires. I didn't notice until I reviewed the vid at home. I'll try to upload the vid or a link

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Its difficult to be certain without seeing what the situation is, pictures of your situation might be helpful. How hard are you pulling back on the charging handle? I have in the past, pulled down on the charging handle as I tapped the butt of the rifle on a solid surface. The recoil spring is the only force that would jamb it forward, so it shouldnt be too tight. If a few taps down while pulling the charging handle doesnt dislodge things, I would seek the assistance of a qualified AR smith.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    It's time to STOP and take it to a good gunsmith. You're begging for a bad accident if there is a live round jammed in or a ruined gun if you keep tinkering.
    I agree. I am a little concerned about having this weapon in the house now. But I will take it some where tomorrow. Thanks for your help.:)

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    One more thing I just remembered. Sunday when I was shooting it for the first time it was having a problem loading rounds. It would fire then would not load the next round. I chalked it up to the aftermarket, plastic mags I bought for it. Any thoughts??

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Depends on the Mags that you were using. I personally only use GI mags, but its because I have an abundance of them. Some people use the polymer mags and never have an issue with them. A buddy recently put together an AR, and had issues with the rifle not cycling correctly, traced it to an issue with the mag catch holding the mag in too high. A little dremel work, and it was running fine.

Cycling issues sounds more like an issue with the gas system leaking or pluged, or in your case, just not broken in yet. How much oil did you put in it before shooting? My M16 was pretty finicky about lubricants, it liked to have a couple of drops in the holes in the bolt carrier to run without hiccups. My Armalite is not much different. Breaking it in was a little frustrating, but after a couple hundred rounds, it runs like a swiss watch with just about any ammo I feed it.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Depends on the Mags that you were using. I personally only use GI mags, but its because I have an abundance of them. Some people use the polymer mags and never have an issue with them. A buddy recently put together an AR, and had issues with the rifle not cycling correctly, traced it to an issue with the mag catch holding the mag in too high. A little dremel work, and it was running fine.

Cycling issues sounds more like an issue with the gas system leaking or pluged, or in your case, just not broken in yet. How much oil did you put in it before shooting? My M16 was pretty finicky about lubricants, it liked to have a couple of drops in the holes in the bolt carrier to run without hiccups. My Armalite is not much different. Breaking it in was a little frustrating, but after a couple hundred rounds, it runs like a swiss watch with just about any ammo I feed it.
    It was an issue with lubrication. Thanks to the great guys at Premier Arms in Brownsburg got it unjammed and pointed out my neglect. NO Charge too!!!:rockwoot:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Good to hear, glad that you got everything straightened out. I remember in boot, my range coach would literary drench my bolt carrier in CLP. I hated that, because the first several rounds would shoot oil into my eye, that I just happened to be aiming with. I have since learned that an oil bath isnt usually necessary, but a little bit on the bolt and carrier goes a long way in keeping the AR reliable.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Good to hear, glad that you got everything straightened out. I remember in boot, my range coach would literary drench my bolt carrier in CLP. I hated that, because the first several rounds would shoot oil into my eye, that I just happened to be aiming with. I have since learned that an oil bath isnt usually necessary, but a little bit on the bolt and carrier goes a long way in keeping the AR reliable.

Yeah, that's what the guy at Premier Arms said...... after he told me to stop using that &%$# ammo.

Top Bottom